VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all ready to swap out my ecobarge for a black on red 2014 IS250 F-Sport RWD. 116k miles, $20k. I suppose that's what "cheap" cars cost these days. Drove it, liked it (oh those panel gaps... ha), made nice noises and was powerful and efficient enough, but seemed a bit rough cosmetically for a $20k used car. The last time I swapped an almost new Accord for a high-ish mile used sport sedan worked out quite well, but that one was $12k and in better cosmetic shape. Somebody went to town polishing the trunk badges with what looks like steel wool and wore through the chrome and surrounding clearcoat. Weird. Not an easy DIY fix there.

So the hunt begins, but in order to make this worth my while, I need to get the Accord gone before my Carvana offer expires. On that note, any experience with recent Carvana purchases? I know they've been having some issues (ha) lately, and I wonder if that's impacted the quality/reconditioning of cars they're selling. They have a much better selection of 3rd gen ISs than the local dealers. There's one, and I drove it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I still don't understand what's wrong with the Accord. Why introduce all these headaches?

Reactions: NotFast

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I still don't understand what's wrong with the Accord. Why introduce all these headaches?
american made car panel gaps + boring

op seems completely against anything non japanese since he ignores all non japanese suggestions, then buys some americanized mediocre japanese appliance, and hates it

A4 is the only thing that really blew his skirt up but he wont investigate further

as i said before, if panel gaps are paramount, he needs to be shopping VWAG products because they do them the best of anyone.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
american made car panel gaps + boring

op seems completely against anything non japanese since he ignores all non japanese suggestions, then buys some americanized mediocre japanese appliance, and hates it

A4 is the only thing that really blew his skirt up but he wont investigate further

as i said before, if panel gaps are paramount, he needs to be shopping VWAG products because they do them the best of anyone.
I've driven an A4 again. It's certainly nice, but I imagine I'd get bored with it. It's a well made, refined vehicle, but it's not as entertaining as the IS (even the lame slow 2.5). I'd also put my money on a $20k used IS vs. a $20k used A4 when it comes to not being a headache. As for the lack of power in the 2.5, meh. I just drove it, and it has plenty of power and sounds great. It's almost as smooth as the old 2JZ in my IS300. Can't even tell it's idling from inside, which to me, is a good thing. 28mpg average showing on the computer too. The 3.5 is nice, but it comes with some options that I'm not wild about, like adaptive suspension. That said, if one were to pop up, I'd look at it. The 8 speed is supposed to be an improvement over the 6 in the 2.5.

They fixed the buildup issues in 2011 or so. This thing ran like a top at 116k. Rattle free and solid inside as well, save the wear and tear from Mr or Mrs Scotchbrite.

I haven't yet driven an A5 or an F30. I don't think I'd like the F30, but might try it. There's also the CTS, but the one I wanted to drive was nowhere to be found.

As for what's wrong with the Accord, in addition to being disappointed with the Hondaness of it (or whatever my clearly unrealistic issue is, as it is a very nice car), I don't drive it nearly as much as I'd anticipated, and I don't like having $40k sitting in the garage doing nothing. The fact that it's still worth about $40k is impacting this decision, and I don't expect it to retain that value much longer. I've also considered a new 2.0t Sport, but the difference isn't big enough to make me really want to do it.

Anyway... Carvana. Suck? Worth a shot?

·
Premium Member
13,472 Posts
I would keep looking. Only 3G IS worth getting is the 350 F-Sport RWD IMO.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Limited
25,113 Posts
Anyway... Carvana. Suck? Worth a shot?
Sell to them all day.

Buying I'd be a bit more wary of. The "paperwork" part is painless but they may not capture the full scope of imperfections on a car in the listing and way more importantly, their back-end after-sale support if you have any sort of issue is pretty poor (and slow).

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yeah, 250 is a snoozefest honestly. I even drove a manual one back in the day (2nd gen obv.) and it still didn't help.

edit: I do however quite enjoy the 2GR in my van. Good torque, grunty noises, the works. 350 or bust!
I also have the 2GR in the Le Beige. It's not fast but should considered be the baseline on the IS.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about an Infinity Q50 or G25?
Had a G35S that I enjoyed, but I'd like something more modern and refined. The Q50 isn't a bad car and an S with the 3.0tt is a riot, but the IS is a bit more my speed. I've also read less than good things about 3.0tt reliability. The G25 doesn't come with the sport package, and that's really the only way to get a G.

Sell to them all day.

Buying I'd be a bit more wary of. The "paperwork" part is painless but they may not capture the full scope of imperfections on a car in the listing and way more importantly, their back-end after-sale support if you have any sort of issue is pretty poor (and slow).
That's what I was thinking. Limiting, but I've read enough bad to avoid buying from them. I'm trying to do this locally and within a huge dealer network, as they'll match online offers and I'll save tax.

·
Premium Member
13,472 Posts
Bro a G with a smartphone integration module is pretty much a modern car

I kind of feel you on not wanting to get the same car twice. But I also think "modernity" is overrated. Like I'd rather roll the dice on an E90 than an F30. W/a little rehab the E90 will drive way better. Plus again the tech is easy to update. Not really much else to modernize IMO.

I feel like you need something more special than a damn IS250. But you are gonna have to accept some age to get it.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bro a G with a smartphone integration module is pretty much a modern car

I kind of feel you on not wanting to get the same car twice. But I also think "modernity" is overrated. Like I'd rather roll the dice on an E90 than an F30. W/a little rehab the E90 will drive way better. Plus again the tech is easy to update. Not really much else to modernize IMO.

I feel like you need something more special than a damn IS250. But you are gonna have to accept some age to get it.
I get all of that. I mean, if a 1-owner, nice G37S popped up? I'd be all over it. And I get you on the 'modern' thing. Outside of CP (which is so unreliable I don't use it), he Accord does less fancy stuff than my old QX50, and what it does do it does worse. I think the IS250 is the same. Does more, anyway.

Have you driven an IS250 F-Sport? It felt "special". The cool gauges, the red seats, the size, the sound, the feel. Yeah, a G is way faster and raw than anything this side of an IS-F or IS500, but there's something about the IS that the G lacks.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts