Votes: 14 41.2%
  • I have a better idea

Votes: 2 5.9%
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying tires soon. Do I want to go with the newly updated DWS06+ or the newly updated AS4 by Michelin? What would TCL do?

·
Millennial
24,987 Posts
DWS06. They were great as an all-weather tire for my SS, they’ll perform flawlessly for your light (by comparison) E46.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 12 QX56 10 A6 Avant 88 16v Scirocco
12,272 Posts
All seasons suck. Get a set of summers and a set of winters.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
8,611 Posts
I'm not a fan of either, but of those two Michelin, I've not been a fan of the squishiness of the Conti sidewalls. However the michelins are the exact opposite and maybe too stiff. I will continuously recommend the BFG Comp2 AS+ , it feels like the middle ground between the two

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,377 Posts
A friend recently bought the AS4's for his 10th gen Civic on my recommendation. I drove his car in typical 40 degree TN winter weather a couple of weeks ago. They are great! Quiet on the highway and plenty of grip and feedback. Never driven the DWS06+, only the older DWS. It was ok. Not fantastic.

·
Registered
2021 TLX A-Spec
617 Posts
No experience with those Michelins, but I have the DWS06+ on my TLX and am very happy with them. They are supposedly much improved over the DWS06, which apparently had rather squishy sidewalls and were relatively noisy. Have not noticed either being an issue with these.

Have not had a chance to drive with them on snow yet, but have had them since April and they are great in the rain and cold.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Tests aside, and some tests recommend the Michelins stiil, I'd take the AS4s everyday.

·
Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Another vote for the DWS06s........ I feel like a lot of the love for Michelins comes from their marketing.... they have darling status among those "in the know". Yawn

I had DWS06s on various cars and I liked their character. Yea the sidewalls were squishy...... that's a plus IMO, I don't need all that FeEdBaCk in a daily driver. They were quiet, comfy, grippy as hell in the wet and dry and responsive enough. I have a set of DWS06+s coming for the TLX. I thought about the Goodyear Eagle Exhilirates as they have rated high in tests in things I care about........ but other Goodyears on various cars I've had (including current ones) are awful once they wear out so I don't trust the brand.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm a big Michelin fanboy, can't go wrong with the Pillsbury dough boy of tires.
yeah, I love my AS3+. But I've heard some negatives on the AS4.

And a bunch of people like the Contis.

I am in this dilemma myself, as I'm coming up on 40K miles on the AS3+ and time to turn them. Also, they're LOUD now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
yeah, I love my AS3+. But I've heard some negatives on the AS4.

And a bunch of people like the Contis.

I am in this dilemma myself, as I'm coming up on 40K miles on the AS3+ and time to turn them. Also, they're LOUD now.
I had a set of AS3+ on my Passat forever and didn't run into them getting loud, but I also rotated them every oil change which I'm sure helped. They ended up lasting much longer than I expected.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Tire Rack--DWS06+ on the left, PS-AS4 on the right:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Number

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had a set of AS3+ on my Passat forever and didn't run into them getting loud, but I also rotated them every oil change which I'm sure helped. They ended up lasting much longer than I expected.
I rotate mine every 5K miles, and they're wearing very evenly. And frankly, I wasn't expecting even 40K out of them. How long did yours go?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Right at 40k, I was expecting 30K with the rated treadwear. You must do some less boring driving than me, most of my mileage was interstate.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I just got the AS4's on my GTI; driving in east Tennessee cold and rain they've been great so far, nice and grippy, and QUIET. That's been my big complaint with BFG's, which I've had on cars for years. They start out ok, but as the BFG's wear they are incredibly noisy. My last set, I thought I had a bad bearing but it was the tire noise. They handle great and never had a problem in the wet, even in torrential rains when I lived in south Florida. But I've gone thru four sets on different cars and it's always the same, loud as hell as they age. I did get a bit over 45k miles on the last BFG set but was glad to have the quiet of the AS4's.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I switched from Summers to ultra-all seasons (and still run dedicated winters) - wouldn't go back, the AS4's are great and a hell of a lot quieter to boot. Sep and May are often below 7C in the morning/evening and can have a bit of snow that melts a few days later so I get an extra 2 months of no winters on. Plus they are stock on the Vette so can't be too terrible.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Just put a set of DWS06(not plus) on my R about 5000 miles ago. The comment about squishy sidewalls is accurate. Though I expected it on a car with stiff suspension and tire size 245-45-18, its quite noticeable. Ive seen small amounts of snow/ice/winter crap on the road and they haven't performed as well as expected. Ive always been in the "dedicated snows" camp and these confirm that belief.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts