VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this picture the tires look stretched width-wise on the rim, they are 8x14's. Are they streched or are they special tires? If stretched, is it safe?

[Modified by tomk1, 1:39 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
663 Posts
Re: The tires look so good!, stretched? (JoshmkII)

Depends on what you call stretched. The tire is 195/45-14" on an 8x14" wheel. 8" is 203.2mm so the difference between the 195mm tire thread width and the wheel of 203.3mm isn't that big. But 8” is the maximum width you are allowed to fit a 195/45-14” in Europe (Germany).

·
Registered
20,313 Posts
Re: The tires look so good!, stretched? (mk1classic)

Tires are certainly not designed to be mounted like that. Certainly makes the sidewall exposed to a lot more road hazards. Can't understand why people do this. You go to all the trouble to put wide rims on the car, and then do this w/ tires. I run 205/55/14's on a 14x6 rim.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Re: The tires look so good!, stretched? (millerwj)

quote:[HR][/HR]I run 205/55/14's on a 14x6 rim.[HR][/HR]​
I haven't seen that size available in some time. What tire are you using and where do you get them?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: The tires look so good!, stretched? (tomk1)

I personally don't like the look of stretched tires, it is very popular across the pond, I like the look of low series tire on big wheels, overthere they like tiny deep dish wheels, I just installed some wheels on my corrado and they are very wide, the tires are 205 in with so they stretched a little they look good and the shape of the tire helps avoiding rubbing on very low cars

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The tire is 195/45-14" on an 8x14" wheel.
Are you sure about that size. I've never heard of it, but I have heard of 195/55-14 which is a great size. I would like 195/55-14's on 7" wide rims. It would still look low, wide and mean but it would actually be practical.
The set-up pictured is fine for show but those rims would be trashed in a week on a real road car, especially around here.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Re: (A1Rocco)

I'm gonna run 13X8 wheels on eleanor, and I'm getting 215/50/13 tires through tirerack for cheap. I doubt they will look stretched, or will rub, because the wheels have an offset of 0!!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
2,471 Posts
Re: (driveGTI)

those things are the farthest stretch I've seen. That is not how tires are designed to work to their full potential. Plus it looks kind of "homie" to me. If those are 205's--I would say you would need a 215 to look normal on that rim. But fitting 215's on an A-1 is TOUGH

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Re: (tomk1)

the onle real 13x8's i know of are either steelies (diamond racing wheels)
and then you move into the panasport / superlite / kaizer (sp?) range... which are mainly used for road racing + autocross....
but yeah, there are 13x8's in rabbit fitments... just have to know where to look.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.