VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when I first got my car, the shifts felt softer than any other cars I've ever driven.
Now for some reason, it doesn't feel that way any more, but rather stiff and rough when I shift from gear to gear.
What seems to be the problem? Someone suspected the syncro, someone said it's the tranny oil. But since my car is fairly new, I don't think it's the tranny oil. (could be leaking? is this possible?) How do you harm the syncro? I don't downshift a lot when I drive.
Can someone tell me what might have gone wrong? Or is it because my car is not new any more?
Your thoughts please http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Re: The transmission feels rough... (shinji)

I can't really help you with that problem but my tranny feels different all the time. Like one minute everything will be mushy smooth, the next alittle gritty feeling, and sometimes it will go like 70% into a gear and there is like alittle notch you have to force through to put it completly in. One thing i did notice though, is if you drive the car really easy, it will be more notchy, but when you start doing some spirited driving, its a smooth as butter. I guess the gti likes to play! who knows...good luck finding a real answer. later.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: The transmission feels rough... (Banditt007)

quote:[HR][/HR]I can't really help you with that problem but my tranny feels different all the time. Like one minute everything will be mushy smooth, the next alittle gritty feeling, and sometimes it will go like 70% into a gear and there is like alittle notch you have to force through to put it completly in. One thing i did notice though, is if you drive the car really easy, it will be more notchy, but when you start doing some spirited driving, its a smooth as butter. I guess the gti likes to play! who knows...good luck finding a real answer. later.[HR][/HR]​
I think you are experiencing the exact same I have. Was the car like this when you first got your car?

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Re: The transmission feels rough... (shinji)

I'm trying to think back, i believe it acted the same way when new. Infact if i recall right, a larger percentage of the time it was leaning toward the gritty feeling side rather than butter smooth.
I'll mention this though, sometimes i will drive and the shifter will almost "shift its self" from 3rd to 4th. it feels as if it is assisted. strange. Almost like you just need to give it a flick/push and it will go right into 4th from 3rd on its own.
I do have the neuspeed SS kit on it. However i do not think that this has any effect. However when i first put the shift kit on, all the gears did feel alittle different to enguage. especially reverse.
I do have faith in neuspeed, for this product at least that it will not damage the tranny. B/c i cant stand the stock, "lets row the boat" shifter feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts