VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
461 - 480 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Snow

Put on the new to me teardrops with oversized studded Hankooks today.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Snow

The only thing better than how they look, is how they feel. As smooth on pavement at highway speed (surprise) as on ice and snow. Kind of heavy, but worth the trade off for smoother handling.

These nice wheels and almost new tires were given to me by fellow Vortexer PatLew. Thanks Patrick!

Reactions: B1-16V

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

It's swap week at the Rabbit Ranch!

Pulling the perfectly good 1.9D for a deep refurb, when I get to it which could be years.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Auto part Hood

Putting in the 1.6TD that I put together last winter.

Out with the old, in with the older.

Motor vehicle Gas Urban area Waste Auto part

Easy, peasy. Just a few details to work out.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 · (Edited)
Frankinstyn may recognize this bracket (if you're still with us in the Rabbit hole).

Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Flooring Hardwood

It got modified slightly, but was nearly ideal for moving the fuel filter to the fire wall.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

No mods to the truck body. Turns out that there was an existing bracket on the firewall already. It only has one bolt hole, but I made it work.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part

Then I made a heat shield out of a peice of 4" stove pipe. I guess I didn't take any photos before installation.

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Other challenges overcome over the past couple of days included recovering this plug from the transmission.

Motor vehicle Glove Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering

Seemed like a great way to seal up the speedometer gear hole for a few months. As you can see, the compression action created a lip on the inside of the hole. Fought and fought the thing trying to pull it up by the bolt. When it wouldn't budge, I gingerly removed the washer from the top to access the rubber. I barely touched it and: 'ploop!' Into the hole it went. As you can see, it's out again. Fast has some impressive long needle nose pliers with mechanical advantage.

He also dealt with the fact that it turns out that despite both having a toilet bowl connection, the NA mid pipe is not plug and play with the TD down pipe connection.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system Vehicle

That pipe got cut up and sleeved back together for now. Fast also reinstalled and tuned the shift linkage.

Hand tool Wood Tool Bicycle part Metalworking hand tool

The foam washers were upgraded to industrial mud flap material. Feels tight like a tiger!

I remade my alternator cable and cleaned up and rerouted lots of wires.

Wood Natural material Grass Tints and shades Soil

More to do in that department.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Auto part

Still needs a few things including injector hard lines and top brace. Then I'll rip into the dash to make room for the boost and EGT gauges.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
How much of a difference do you notice with the engine swap, if any at all?

I was thinking of doing something similar for the linkage washers. The neoprene always gets greasy and breaks down.

-Todd

·
Registered
4,344 Posts

Pry off the collar
And install is reverse of removal.
Make sure it’s roughly the same amount screwed in as when you removed it from the pump.
If in doubt then screw it in less.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Should be fired up very soon!
Just taking his time making sure the instruments and ancillaries are up to snuff!

So many cleaver solutions to put to the test.

And so much tuning to do.

If it starts that is ;p

It’s a big job replacing an entire driveline.
With a complete second unit. Lots of little details.

Now you guys need to help convince him to put a vnt15 on his old 1.9idi!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
How much of a difference do you notice with the engine swap, if any at all?

I was thinking of doing something similar for the linkage washers. The neoprene always gets greasy and breaks down.
So far, I would say that the 1.9L was easier to start. 😉

The neoprene washers were replaced about three years ago and were already disintegrating to the point that they fell apart during disassembly. The rubber washers have the whole system feeling very snug with less noticeable slop. Looking forward to trying it out under driving conditions.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

Got everything buttoned up to my satisfaction pretty late yesterday.

Had to steal the 16V upper strut brace from the Jetta project because the 8V spider could not be made to work with the TD intake.

Got some smoke out of it last night before completely running down the battery. That was a promising enough sign for me to sleep well last night. Battery is on the charger...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 · (Edited)
After bleeding more air out of the lines; the Turbo Diesel has been revived.

Holy crap! It started and runs well enough to drive. Jump in, let's go! Probably the worst driving conditions in months. The snow is heavy and turning to rain which is melting the ice layer underneath. It's been relatively easy driving on ice and light snow recently, which has made me a bit complacent, so off we go with minimal tools. No umbrella, no snow shovel and I haven't plowed yet because...I'm playing with my VWs again!😀

Looks like clean snow to me. 👍

Made it down to the highway and into town for a mail stop and a first adjustment by the tuner.

Wheel Tire Car Snow Vehicle

All gauges are functional and showing good numbers. Of course we've only driven down hill about three miles and haven't been past third gear yet. We have heard a bit of that sweet turbo whine and seen a couple of PSI on the boost gauge when I goosed it. OK, let's take it up to the pass.

We saw more good mild numbers on the hill climb. Boost up to 6 PSI at just over 3000 in third gear. Highest EGT reading at 800F on the climb. Oil temperature never got above 225F.

After another adjustment at the pass, headed North along the lake shore looking for a straight-away to try out fifth gear. Hopefully in a spot without much standing slush on the highway. Found one, although conditions were still slushy, so not ideal for high speeds.

Hard to compare apples to oranges due to the egregious driving conditions and the added weight of a 200lb VW mechanic in the jump seat, but so far I am thrilled with how smooth and responsive the little TD is. As far as power, at this point it seems to be lacking in horses in the high gears compared to the 1.9D. Still lots of room for tuning before the exhaust upgrade and the intercooler...

So, after a very successful maiden voyage, we headed back up the mountain.

I could crawl up this hill in first with the studs on ice and light snow, but 2" of wet snow on top of a melting ice sheet? Well that's a bit much to ask of most 4WD trucks of this stature, let alone a lowly Rabbit, even if 'Fwd is the better half of 4wd' as I like to say. No LSD either, just another good old early FN 020.

So, after a first low speed failure, I tried to power and spin my way up the notorious 'first hill' of our unplowed driveway at the junction with the County road at the terminus of their plow route.

No dice, but an opportunity to give her the onions. A red line a day, right? Fast says he saw the tach max out briefly.

We're walking about a mile to get the plow. It's freezing rain. No umbrella. If we had brought a shovel we possibly could have scooped the tracks and made a runway, but we don't, so we parked the Caddy. First shut off after 26 miles logged.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Two hours later.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

2nd start was like butter. I rescind my earlier comment about not starting as easily as the 1.9L.

OK. Let's try that hill again after a little grooming by the Duetz.

Made it home and back in the tent for the tuner to make the next round of adjustments which are now complete, awaiting the next test drive.

🙄 Might wait for better weather though.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
View attachment 141679

Put on the new to me teardrops with oversized studded Hankooks today.

View attachment 141681

The only thing better than how they look, is how they feel. As smooth on pavement at highway speed (surprise) as on ice and snow. Kind of heavy, but worth the trade off for smoother handling.

These nice wheels and almost new tires were given to me by fellow Vortexer PatLew. Thanks Patrick!
Did @patlew venture all the way up to the tundra?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Frankynstein may recognize this bracket (if you're still with us in the Rabbit hole).

View attachment 144954
I do remember that and still hang out reminiscing. Dreams of an electric swapped first gen scirocco...

Anyway. I whipped that up because it was easier that finding the original bracket. It worked really well though if not a bit odd having the fuel filter mounted next to the radiator.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
Did @patlew venture all the way up to the tundra?
He was considering it before he found a bed topper closer to home. It is a bit of a drive.

The Wife picked the wheels up for me in Oakland last Summer when she and copilot went on their annual Bay Area museum tour. She threw them on the roof rack of her TDI Golf.

Fast was excited to try the next level tuning that he did which included setting the LDA sensitivity to activation by the boost pressure. I said we should sit on our laurels for the day and just bask in yesterday's success. So, no test drive today.

Instead I finished the radio move to under the dash.

Gear shift Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

That went really well, but as I anticipated, something is going to have to be done about the cupholder situation.

Wood Steering wheel Gas Vehicle door Steering part

Planning to cut up another shift surround to move the cup out from under the dash until it is almost touching the shift boot. Coffee is almost as important to the achievement of Farvergnugen as tunes.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
I do remember that and still hang out reminiscing. Dreams of an electric swapped first gen scirocco...

Anyway. I whipped that up because it was easier that finding the original bracket. It worked really well though if not a bit odd having the fuel filter mounted next to the radiator.
It seems to be made of nice material. Stainless steel? It certainly hasn't rusted a bit in the past couple of years. Now it's back in service.

The upper strut brace is also originally from Colonel Mustard the 2nd. Getting the 1Y running again in the Jetta is getting near the top of my to do list.

Glad you're still watching. I do love the look of the Sciroccos, that would be a beautiful electric conversion.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Should be a fun test drive today.
Got the lda turned to max fun.
Turned the wastegate in a couple turns (boost is still very tame 5-7psi tops and wastegate is nowhere near opening) and made the boost valve for max boost.
As well as one turn down on the star wheel and one turn of diaphragm tension

Pretty standard tuning steps!

Adjusted the throttle cable so we can turn down the idle and up the max fuel screw until we run out of idle and need to rotate the throttle linkage on the shaft.

My one and only fear as to this 1.6tds potential to really rip was a crack across the wastegate sealing surface. Hopefully it seals up when hot. I had both a k24 and a k14 and neither had any problem surpassing 20psi.

Been working on fixing my truck up in the back round.
Mokoosh has his gauges and interior dialed!!! It’s all I can do but to be respectable by comparison haha.
He only needs uniform lighting bulbs to be perfect by his high standards.
It’s sweet to have egt and all the rest so we can tune without fear. Better to have a passenger to stare at them for upu.
Before this last round of tuning he held it WOT up a hill in 5th and was hardly breaking 1000f.
Lots of head room.

Now back to my truck.
Rabbit trucks everywhere and forever.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Should be a fun test drive today.
Got the lda turned to max fun
An impressive improvement in power. This engine now has seemingly more hill climbing power than the 1.9D, at least the way I had it tuned. Of course, I never let Fast tune it for me.

Today we saw boost pressure as high as 11psi! Speeds up to about 80mph. Highest EGT around 1300F. Highest oil temperature 220F. Coolant temperature normal.

I am totally happy with the current tuning although it would be nice to get the idle lower. It's currently about 1100 rpm.

Looking forward to just driving for a while to see if anything comes loose or needs changes. Shims and head studs at 1000 miles.

We got a little scare at the end of the test drive as there was oil dripping off the bottom of the engine. Took a little while to find the culprit because the oil is still clear at 56 miles logged.

Turned out to be the oil pressure sensor. Seems to have stopped after the addition of some thread locker and a copper washer.

Reactions: tburie.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
LE1z caddy got its throttle lever reindexed on the shaft this morning to get the idle back below 1000rpm and turn the fuel screw in further.

Mokoosh hasn’t driven it yet but he’s goona be happy!!!! Only took it in 2nd gear to make sure no funny business with the new settings on the injection pump.

He needs to get a drive-by clip of the very healthy turbo whooshes and whistles. It’s an entirely new driving experience.

And now I won’t say it’s capable of rolling coal, but is much more capable of a decent stoichiometric mixture before the turbo catches up with the game plan ;p

All in all to have a 1.6na exhaust on a turbo truck this thing is starting to run very well. Props again to mokoosh for building the engine.
it runs like a sewing machine (for a vw diesel haha)

AND There is room for upgrades and additional performance… still :)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 · (Edited)
I took that test drive today. 😎Wow!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Steering wheel

Idles smooth at 850 fully warmed. Yet, climbs hills in high gear with only barely pushing the pedal.

Saw boost up to 12 PSI and EGT as high as 1450 climbing hills in fifth today, but the other two temperature gauges stayed below half. I just backed off the pedal and it went back down. EGT seems to be a relatively short term phenomenon as compared to either coolant or oil.

The transmission got the oil changed out before today's drive. Turned out to be a good thing as it was quite dirty and a bit moisture contaminated after just 50 miles since last change, but before that the gear box sat for ten years.

Otherwise the new, presumably lower mileage but otherwise identical to the previous, FN transmission is working beautifully. That includes the overbushed linkage. Huge improvement there. I would recommend it to anyone that is still running solid shifter linkage.

Oh, one exception is that the reverse switch doesn't work. I would swap the one that I fixed, but as noticed when removed, it leaks. I think I am over rebuilding these and have a MK2 (with upshift) switch on order and plan to re-pin the plug when it arrives.

I don't know if I ever would have been able to tune this setup this well by myself. If I ever did, it would have taken me months or years instead of just a few days and as many drives like it took Fast. It's so nice to have such an awesome vw mechanic for a friend and one that lives nearby to boot.

Thanks buddy!

461 - 480 of 667 Posts