VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
481 - 500 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Why a boost gauge with vacuum?
Got it used. I liked it for the turbo symbol. The new ones say 'turbo' which is cool and all, but I like this one.

I think I may have seen 1psi vacuum at one point, but not sure. I don't know why a boost gauge would need 30 psi vacuum and only 20 psi positive.

When you refresh the 1.9, are you planning on adding a turbo?
That may be unavoidable at this point due to how amazing the 1.6TD is. If Fast sticks around, everything that doesn't already have a turbo probably will soon.

😁

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You’re lucky to have him around and helping out.

Big Blue’s AAZ has been NA and I’ve been considering tossing the k03 from the Rotbox on it, but I rarely drive it. I know nothing about turbo tuning. Honestly, most everything I’ve been doing to it, is a waste of time, lol. Seems you drive everything you own.

-Todd

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Dude..I need your cupholder ❤❤❤
wow so much inspiration for my build. What did you use for the plaid interior? And what is that cup holder part?
It's the end of an era. The generic universal tape/coin/cup holder, that brought joy to so many, for so long, has been retired.

Gas Scale Auto part Serveware Drinkware

The new one is a bit utilitarian, but it gets the job done.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Shoe Vehicle

I don't know what I'll do with all of the coins and tapes now.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Is that ABS pipe? Are you listening to the Steve Miller Band?

I use a similar organizer, but keep it on the rear floor. It’s out of the way, and I can can still reach it. Honestly, I forget it’s there most times and drive around holding my drink….

-Todd

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I took that test drive today. 😎Wow!

View attachment 147041

Idles smooth at 850 fully warmed. Yet, climbs hills in high gear with only barely pushing the pedal.

Saw boost up to 12 PSI and EGT as high as 1450 climbing hills in fifth today, but the other two temperature gauges stayed below half. I just backed off the pedal and it went back down. EGT seems to be a relatively short term phenomenon as compared to either coolant or oil.

The transmission got the oil changed out before today's drive. Turned out to be a good thing as it was quite dirty and a bit moisture contaminated after just 50 miles since last change, but before that the gear box sat for ten years.

Otherwise the new, presumably lower mileage but otherwise identical to the previous, FN transmission is working beautifully. That includes the overbushed linkage. Huge improvement there. I would recommend it to anyone that is still running solid shifter linkage.

Oh, one exception is that the reverse switch doesn't work. I would swap the one that I fixed, but as noticed when removed, it leaks. I think I am over rebuilding these and have a MK2 (with upshift) switch on order and plan to re-pin the plug when it arrives.

I don't know if I ever would have been able to tune this setup this well by myself. If I ever did, it would have taken me months or years instead of just a few days and as many drives like it took Fast. It's so nice to have such an awesome vw mechanic for a friend and one that lives nearby to boot.

Thanks buddy!
Still sounds like a jar of marbles. But at least a very rhythmic one. I need a boost gauge like that, mine only goes up to 15 but all the 30 psi gauges are too "busy" with the metric scale and lacking the old school "TURBO" script. How else would people know what the gauge is for.

Did I miss the part about overbushing the linkage earlier in this thread?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 · (Edited)
Drove over to the Ski resort and back today. 250 miles on the new setup now.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Car

Reactions: fourmotioneer

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
go to the missinglinkz site and get a short shifter kit and weighted billet, greatly improves the feel of shifting.
Agreed. I have been running this MissingLinkz kit for 15 years. I only have the throw on the medium short setting, though. That was good enough for me.

MissingLinkz does not make or sell the bushings that I am referring to. These take the place of the neoprene anti-rattle rings.

I'll post the photo again:

Wood Bicycle part Gas Cylinder Engineering

The home made rubber washers make a significant improvement in the feel of the shifting. More than I would have thought.

0$, no tools required modification for anyone who wants to give it a go.

Reactions: Seomobster

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Agreed. I have been running this MissingLinkz kit for 15 years. I only have the throw on the medium short setting, though. That was good enough for me.

MissingLinkz does not make or sell the bushings that I am referring to. These take the place of the neoprene anti-rattle rings.

I'll post the photo again:

View attachment 148870

The home made rubber washers make a significant improvement in the feel of the shifting. More than I would have thought.

0$, no tools required modification for anyone who wants to give it a go.
I wonder if those will hold up to the oil and road gunk. I will agree with you that the factory ones are too soft.
on a random note: I hate installing those safety pins so much lol.

and Sorry to hear about the hood btw. hugs dogs be dogs.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
I wonder if those will hold up to the oil and road gunk. I will agree with you that the factory ones are too soft.
on a random note: I hate installing those safety pins so much lol.
I have high hopes for the bushings holding up. They are made of leftover scraps of a commercial truck mudflap that I cut up.

The ball joint retaining pins are kind of a pain, but damn elegant. I like knowing that they are there.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have high hopes for the bushings holding up. They are made of leftover scraps of a commercial truck mudflap that I cut up.

The ball joint retaining pins are kind of a pain, but damn elegant. I like knowing that they are there.
I like them as well, just such a dance to get them in lol.

That's a great idea on the washers. I personally like some left to right slop. It's ocd for me to tap the shifter to the left to ensure its in n. I could see other people liking the mod though.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
You’re lucky to have him around and helping out.

Big Blue’s AAZ has been NA and I’ve been considering tossing the k03 from the Rotbox on it, but I rarely drive it. I know nothing about turbo tuning. Honestly, most everything I’ve been doing to it, is a waste of time, lol. Seems you drive everything you own.

-Todd
With a turbo,
You find reasons to drive :D

Mokoosh inspires us all.

It’s a good thing.

Lucky with a diesel it doesn’t NEED any tuning, but that’s where the fun lays.
Unlike a gasser you can bolt on a turbo without changing any tuning.

Everything a human could want to know about making these really scoot is on vwdiesel.net

It would be so fun to have a mk1 meetup/clinic??
Because it is a big step going from trusting in factory engineering and tuning, reading about it online, to taking tuning into your own hands and spanners screw drivers.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
Another milestone passed today with the new setup. I loaned the truck to The Wife for a 20 mile round trip.

This truck was originally purchased by her based on her own desire for one of these back during the 2nd Iraq war fuel price spike so we could run Biodiesel back when that was a thing. Now she drives a 2006 BEW TDI. Puts 15K on it a year.

How much of a difference do you notice with the engine swap, if any at all?
Even more importantly, what does she think, right?

Well I am happy to report that she liked it so much that she has given me permission to bring home additional junk vehicles (without even getting rid of any of the current ones) if they support the building of more 1.6TDs. 😃

I didn't want to 'man-splain' the boost gauge to her before she left, so I didn't. When she came back we talked about the gauges and I was able to sneak it in there without getting in trouble. She liked the tachometer. She knew what that was.

She also noted the improvement in the feel of the shifting.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
It would be so fun to have a mk1 meetup/clinic??
Would gassers be welcome? My 16v Caddy should be drivable (but probably not finished) by late March or April?

481 - 500 of 667 Posts