VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
361 - 371 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, new to VW / Audi's, but this is me and my new baby...
Chandler, 16

My flip phone doesn't like to take good pictures.., ☺

And the car... 2002 225 Quattro...

For having 133K on the clock, she's running pretty good...

I'll put more pictures up when I start modifying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice , she does look pretty clean, buy your bentleys manual. Don't be afraid to turn a wrench, buy good tools, take lots of before pic on every project. You'll have something to look back on, brakes , one side at a time!.look up Sara n tuned on u tube. She has done alot to her tt. Good luck, for 50$ you can join Audi club north America, you'll get discounts on many things, insurance also, I chose hagerty insurance, I get a discount through them. Plus I have an agreed upon value insurance policy. Talk to them, save some money for all the Audi maintenance you'll have to do. Smile.
Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice , she does look pretty clean, buy your bentleys manual. Don't be afraid to turn a wrench, buy good tools, take lots of before pic on every project. You'll have something to look back on, brakes , one side at a time!.look up Sara n tuned on u tube. She has done alot to her tt. Good luck, for 50$ you can join Audi club north America, you'll get discounts on many things, insurance also, I chose hagerty insurance, I get a discount through them. Plus I have an agreed upon value insurance policy. Talk to them, save some money for all the Audi maintenance you'll have to do. Smile.
Hope this helps.

Steve
That's why I bought her is to learn how to work, thanks for the insurance tip too, because for me it isn't going to be very cheap anywhere. ☺

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to say it , but you'll need a parts runner.( another car). That's just life.... then you'll get better ins. rates. Its b.s. that the young have to pay premium price ins. Until you are 21 I believe?.
I had a terrible driving record when I was your age. Lost my license before I even got it!!. I got caught on my go-kart at 15, I got speeding , 55 in a 25, fleeing and eluding, operating a motorized vehicle without a license. I couldn't get my license until I was 18.
Still didn't learn, my first car was a 1973 Plymouth barracuda, it had a stroke 360,727 auto,355 years, awesome car. But my first ticket was a. 77 in a 55, lost it again for 6 months.
So anyways, the Audi is a high maintenance vehicle. If you dont know when the timing belt was changed you need to change it, waterpump, tensioner, timing chain, timing chain tensioner, all 36 bolts for the camshaft cradles and tensioner. They are tty bolts. Set up an account with ecs... Buy the complete gates racing blue timing belt kit through ecs, ask for new bolts for the camshaft cradles and tensioner. Some kits come with Performance pulleys! Nice, take your time and look for everything you'll need before you get started. Here's what mine looked like.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I'm getting it from doing my 04 tt. I did the chain tensioner first using the factory bolts. At 7 ft lbs, or 10 nm. Then a week later pulled them off again and changed the chain, timing belt with the gates racing blue belt, water pump with metal impeller, tensioner and ideler, using the same bolts but this time they stretched and broke. I ordered new ones from ecs for like a $1.10 ea. after the dealership informed me they were tty bolts and wanted an arm and a leg almost $4 ea. Look it doesn't matter, these are small bolts and if you are going to make any kind of power I would consider replacing them.
I bought my car last year, a 225 quattro, heavily molded, dont know what if anything is done to the engine but my tune is calling for no less than 100 octane, extra fuel pump, 550 cc injectors, Garrett dual ball bearing 60-62 turbo,making 27 lbs of boost, fmic, 3" cat delete ss exhaust , 18" Audi rims,brembo brake upgrade.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Lemme get this right. You had one or more of the 9.8 M6 bearing cap bolts snap?
This was on a new to you engine with all the "look at my big dick" mods, and you're certain they were properly torqued to 10Nm?

Looking up the proof load for an M6 9.8 bolt returns ~13Nm. Minimum breaking torque is ~14Nm.

So, with a proper torque of 10Nm, you're no where near the elastic deformation range for these bolts. Then again, I suppose any bolt can be a stretch bolt. it just needs the extra push for it to reach that potential.

I suppose that's why there's confusion on these bolts. When torqued to spec, they don't stretch. When torqued to "good'nuff" by the average 200lb gorilla, they become stretch bolts. I guess the question should be: how sure are you that your experience wasn't the result of the previous ape that wrenched on it?

361 - 371 of 371 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.