VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got most of what I need in to start building my kit. Still waiting on the split second PSC1-001 but I doubt I'll be anywhere near done when that arrives.
My setup:
ATP manifold
T3 from killa, .48ar hot / .60 cold
ATP oil lines
Custom downpipe / Magnaflow 2.5" high flow Cat
Custom 2" boost piping / 2.5" intake piping
PWR Air-water intercooler
Jabsco pump / 16 x 10 Tranny cooler front mounted
30# injectors & Split second fueling controller
Turboxs boost controller
Greddy Type S BOV
Lots of miscellaneous stuff

So far the problems I have run into include.... My compressor inlet is flanged, so I had to machine a custom 2.5" inlet flange. It came out awesome. I ordered a T3 discharge flange from ATP and its way too small for my turbo. The ATP holes are 2.9" on center and mine are 3.350. Likewise, I made that flange too. Took forever to mill
Also, I have no idea why in the hell ATP puts a 45 degree fitting on the bottom of their oil return line. I've got all my oil pan bolts out just waigint to get the turbo on to size it all up. Also, I have to make something to cover the secondary air injection holes in the head. I figure I'll just make some aluminum "gaskets" and see if they melt...
The huge water cooler pictured is something i made from my Grandfather's EXepdition's Air conditioning condensor. It got a hole right in the middle so I cut it down to about 8" high. Very unfortunately I found its way too long to fit. I'd have to gut my front spoiler and remove the 2 main mounting clips on the front bumper to get it in there. That was free, so no biggie. I am back to plan A with the NAPA tranny cooler. If that turns out to not be efficient enough I'll add another one. Why not?

Here's some pics so far:

The inlet flange I made w/ gasket

The discharge flange I made

half ass polishing job...

Notching the bumper support (damn thing)

The plan A water cooler. It sits 1" away from the condensor at the bottom and 1.5" at the top.

More pics as I get time to work on this more http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Re: The turbo project begins.... (2kjettaguy)

i dont know why they use 45 deg. bend either.
i have a straight fitting on the turbo, and a straight fitting on the oil pan. the oil line has a 90 bend on it at the oil pan.
never touched the axle.
looks good so far man.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The turbo project begins.... (speed51133!)

I have my turbo cartride clocked square with the T3 flange. I even used a square.... Yeh I am a perfectionist. It doesn't make sense to have the 45.
I might have to source the straight from somewhere. I wish i had a 1/2" NPT pipe Die cause I'd just make one to be welded to the aluminum oil pan.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: The turbo project begins.... (scarywoody)

Well, you all know I previously had a 137whp supercharged monster

I am hoping 180-200 whp without breaking stuff yet

Question - should I water cool this turbo? Its got the holes, just wondering if I should do it? I was thinking of just running the throttle body hoses to the turbo instead of the throttle body. The fittings in the turbo are like a 3/8" NPT but without the taper. That's a standard thread, 5/8"-18 I think. Anywho, I don't know where to get a hose bard with straight threads! I am thinking about runnning my 3/8" NPT tap down in there and tapering the threads. Then I can use a regular 3/8" male barb / male threads. Any ideas?

·
Banned
9,922 Posts

woo woo i can say i helped work on this beast

evan, you know my opinion on the watercoolage.... just run the lines off the TB into 3/8"NPT (rethreaded)... i guess i'll swing by after school tomorrow for the work to continue!
P.S. post a pic of the drawing!!

Modified by Anand20v at 12:07 AM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 2kjettaguy »

The discharge flange I made

i know that problem well- Im guessing Killa's turbo supplier is MJM turbos... can this be confirmed?

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
Re: The turbo project begins.... (blkjettavr6)

due, you got a cnc machine, hot as arts
now that your mani os off i suggest tapping it fo regt and extenal just to have it fo rthe future, i mean you have water ic, why not go tial route?

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: The turbo project begins.... (evoeone)

That is going to be a sick setup..Put drain line between axle and block,the atp one is the perfect length.45 is at the oil pan end.6 turbo cars built this way and no problems. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
Re: The turbo project begins.... (g60vwr)

i ahd a problem with atp stuff fittig my mjm turbo,
the mk4 oil line is straight, if its form ato, i tried the one with a 90, its the wrong one
are you ready for power? welcome to turbo ,cough ns sucks cough

Modified by evoeone at 1:42 AM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

nice machine work. can i suggest for future reference to get different bends than the dynomax ones. i personally use hooker mild bends, they are much cleaner and more consistant than the dynomax and others i've tried.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts

Man, you're getting me all excited! I'm doing the same thing as you and our setups look eerily similar!
I'm just waiting on the intercooler to start putting it all together.
I'm having a real rough time choosing the "right" turbo ...
I hope your setup works well, can't wait to hear how it turns out! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Agtronic at 11:44 PM 5-11-2003

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Re: The turbo project begins.... (Agtronic)

evan, i cant wait to see it when your done!!! maybe i can get a ride in the 2.0TTT!!! you definatlly are a perfectionist its obvious in your gauges!!! let me know when your done! would love to check it out!!

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: The turbo project begins.... (dubtek2.0t)

Wow!Talk about facilities!Are you going to have a big water reservoir.With water cooled IC's I understand that water does absorb way more heat than air (when the water is cool),but in a daily driver car,when you turn it off the water will heat soak and abrsorb a lot of heat,so when you get back into your car and drive,it takes a long time to cool down the water in the system so it can do it's job and cool down the charge air.I have IAT sensor and my air-air IC cools charge air quickly (about 3min.driving)from stop and go traffic.That is why I recommend a big reservoir or a constantly running pump to keep it circulating,even for a little while after you park.That is my only reason I don't personally like water-air IC,is due to the "heatsoak" when parking,I think your car is gonna rock! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Not too late for front mount!

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: The turbo project begins.... (blkjettavr6)

Quote, originally posted by blkjettavr6 »
yeh you suck....while you did all the easy bumper cutting crap i was take the flipping ehaust crap off. What a pain.

Hey, you wanted to

What do you guys suggest for a water tank? I might just fab one up to fit where I want it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
9,922 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 2kjettaguy »

What do you guys suggest for a water tank? I might just fab one up to fit where I want it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 Gallon plastic milk jug... perfect idea, i dunno why i didn't think of it earlier!!!
or better yet... a 64oz Wawa Iced Tea

btw, i'm off school tomorrow, so you can work, i'll work on your car

1 - 20 of 244 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.