VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (2kjettaguy)

Damn....that really bites....

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (xXx TURBO)

I hate to say it,but I am going to say it,SDS and good tuning you would not be where you are right now,you know why?Because the SDS can PULL OUT TIMING UNDER BOOST(so can any stand alone)I kind of was waiting to see who the first person to blow one up with these units would be.........Sorry that happened,but THAT IS WHY I recommend SDS,I am boosting 20+psi no prob and no issues.You can only get so far with fuel enrichment,with SDS you can have 3bar map sensor and have overboost/rpm fuel cutout,and the SS unit only works within the parameters of the stock ECU, http://www.SDSEFI.com I HATE to see guys blow up when they had the info at their fingertips,and you even tuned it with a wideband,that is telling you either you overboosted,had too much lead,or your injectors could'nt flow what you were asking them to.Sorry to see that happen but I also think your small water to air IC was'nt doing anything for you that is why your motor met a very quick demise............ http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: the turbo project blows up... (SILVERADO)

My neuspeed chip retards timing 25 degrees with throttle position. My intercooler was ice freaking cold last night. Ice. Its always cold. The thing works great.
You know what I think it was? That stupid supercharger I raped my motor with for 2 years. 14.7 under boost with that crap... it was only a matter of time

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: the turbo project blows up... (ALpHaMoNk_VW)

we were tuning it. Air fuel ratio was 12.5 leaning slightly up top. Turned the boost up from 6 to ~9 and she gave out. Air fuel was fine, intercooler was so cold the water would be uncomfortable to drink. There was no big boom, it just started breaking up as if it was running too rich, then we pulled over and were trying to figure out why oil was all over the engine and it was running terrible. It was fast for about 30 seconds and I wasn't even driving.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts

Sorry but 25deg. timing on pump gas is still too much lead on stock compression and a small intercooler,I am running about 19 deg at 15psi total timing and that is with 8.5:1 comp and a huge intercooler,I am telling you that if you r motor ran fine before,a properly setup turbo would not damage it at all.If you rebuild it and keep same engine management I am afraid you may get the exact same results next time..........I should know I blew up 2 motors and 4 pistons being stubborn until I got the SDS here I am 13 sec. and 12,000,miles later,worth every penny!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,230 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 2kjettaguy »

You know what I think it was? That stupid supercharger I raped my motor with for 2 years. 14.7 under boost with that crap... it was only a matter of time

hummmm, i'd think the same too. Sorry about your motor bro, hope u bring it up back soon.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (D Wiz)

sorry dude, sucks, ive been there.
i would tend to agree with both silverrado and you.
sds IMHO is better than any piggy back, and just as/even more simple to use.
BUT....
the supercharger setup of 14.7:1 under boost with no intercooler is totally a factor in limiting the engine's life. live and learn man.....

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (speed51133!)

I totally agree with the SC doing the damage. Its made for 6psi. Its creates way too much heat after that. 9psi on stock internals should be no problem. I ran that for over year before turn the knob to 15psi with stock fueling and blew the motor.

·
Registered
12,524 Posts

sorry your car took a loss, evan. i just saw it this past sunday, and you were so optimistic with your tuning thus far! looked good too. Well, you took one for the team, we all have learned alot from your tooling around. If you did put an unusual amount of wear on the motor from previous setups, i wonder what condition anands car is in....

·
Banned
760 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (Sandlock)

Piggybacks dont blow up motors,people do.Its all in the hand of the tuner.SDS would not have helped him.Its human error.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
i'm w/ party boy. besides- EVERYONE blows up their 1st motor- it is the learning curve. hence why you use stock parts until you understand wtf is going on....

·
Banned
9,922 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (PARTY_BOY)

Quote, originally posted by PARTY_BOY »
Piggybacks dont blow up motors,people do.Its all in the hand of the tuner.SDS would not have helped him.Its human error.

i'm goin with evan on this, and sticking to the story that the NS 'charger caused the damage, running a VERY lean A/F under boost for 2 years on the car, this started a time bomb type situation, and once turbo'd, although the motor should have been able to handle it, because of its previous damage, it couldn't.
evan, lemme know what yer plans are w/ the setup, you know i'll be over there to help you out

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: (vw16vcabby)

I agree,a lot of people do blow up their first motors(sometimes their 2nd,3rd,and 4th,etc.)but tuning for stock comp. and boost with pump gas and not to strong AEG/AZG pistons is pretty tricky,and everybody "wants to save money" and not buy standalone(and SOME people have incredible results),but unfortunately most of the time it ends up costing more in the long run,just trying to help people avoid what I went through that's all,if you saw somebody going down the dangerous path,would'nt you try to help them out and warn them?Trust me,it is much more fun to drive your car everyday and enjoy the boost than it is to keep popping in motors,stand alone is a tool that can help even the novice(myself) tuner with the right approach develpo a powerful,reliable and LONG LIVING turbo motor(that runs 20+PSI).I have built and tuned a stock AEG/AZG turbo motor with stock compression,FMU,front mount IC, using a wideband and it has been running now for 5 mos.now(longer than 2kJetta guy) no problem,he is on the Tex,his name is "Neu-Bug",his car runs perfect,because I realized the limitations of stock management and boost,and ran it 8psi on 92 pump,at 11's a/f under boost,but that is all I will give him (so I don't have to pay for his blown motor)any higher I would like to pull out timing because unfortunately the stock Motronic system will try to advance until detonation threshold and by the time it detects knock and pulls out timing it is (obviously)too late.
Am I wrong anybody?If I am please tell me how it is.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (Anand20v)

how can u blame the lean condition on mechanical error in the case of the s/c? if you know your running lean than fix the problem. to me, thats like saying your hooking up w/ a hooker, but your going to use a rubber w/ a hole in it... your asking for problems....
if you ran lean on a motor for 2 years- didn't you notice any pock marks from pre detonation on the pistons, or the color of the spark plugs? A leak down test should have showed the wear.
imo, it was human error that the s/c was running lean. either too much of something or just too little of something else. if your lean, then pull out boost until your not lean. thats the "safe" limit then on the fuel setup you have at the time. you go above that limit- you run the risk of blowing stuff up- hence the human error part. works the same way the other way- too rich, turn up the boost until your not breaking out any more...
any system- no matter what it is, is only as good as the guy tweaking it. i dont expect a carberator guy to tune a efi system, and vice versa. work w/ what you are good at.

·
Banned
9,922 Posts
Re: the turbo project blows up... (vw16vcabby)

well, he realised the lean condition after a dyno run w/ a wideband o2 on it.... shortly after that the charger came off

1 - 20 of 302 Posts