VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you're cruising along the freeway.
While passing another car to your right, you look over at the driver.
I'd say 75-85% of the time, the other driver looks back at you.
But how do they know you're looking? Is it really that obvious that you're glancing over at the other driver?
Even when you're in a vehicle of a very different height, where it's not eye to eye? (This happened to me about 15 minutes ago, with a driver in a 4Runner, in the dark.)
Anyone have the answer?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: The "Turn and Look"...how do people know? (SeattleGLI)

It is because your peripheral vision notices another vehicle pulling along side you, so you instinctivly look to see what it is. On the other hand when you pass a car i would say that 70 to 80 % of the time you look to see who is in it and why the F*CK they are driving so slow. Hence you both look at each other.

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Re: The "Turn and Look"...how do people know? (Reznor)

Quote, originally posted by Reznor »
It is because your peripheral vision notices another vehicle pulling along side you, so you instinctivly look to see what it is. On the other hand when you pass a car i would say that 70 to 80 % of the time you look to see who is in it and why the F*CK they are driving so slow. Hence you both look at each other.

No no no, wrong. I know what he meant. He means, ok, if you're a passenger in a car, and are staring at someone in the backseat of another car, they notice that and then stare directly at you. He wants to know why? I'm going with peripheral vision as well, but for diff reasons as stated above.

·
Registered
26,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The "Turn and Look"...how do people know? (Reznor)

I suppose that's reasonable, but I usually only do that when a car's been there for more than a couple seconds. This has happened with me when I've had a car next to me for barely a second. It's weird.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Re: The "Turn and Look"...how do people know? (SeattleGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »
So you're cruising along the freeway.
While passing another car to your right, you look over at the driver.
I'd say 75-85% of the time, the other driver looks back at you.
But how do they know you're looking? Is it really that obvious that you're glancing over at the other driver?

Maybe it's just that everyone does it 90% of the time.

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: The "Turn and Look"...how do people know? (PseudoEnthusiast)

Yeah, that's awkward. Especially when you're passing a car that's in the left lane, you look at the passenger, that happens to be a chick, who then looks back and smiles...then her boyfriend leans forward and gives you a glare

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Re: The "Turn and Look"...how do people know? (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
Yeah, that's awkward. Especially when you're passing a car that's in the left lane, you look at the passenger, that happens to be a chick, who then looks back and smiles...then her boyfriend leans forward and gives you a glare

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... happened many a times to me.
Coolest: Had a car pull up next to me and noticed the car slow down and match my speed. After about 15 seconds of wondering what this person wanted, I turned and looked. It was a cute girl in a Jetta just like mine (1.8T silver). She nodded and then sped off, only to get pulled over further down the road by the NYPD

Not so Cool: Same highway (BQE) driving back from Staten Island at 4 am. For some reason I decided to drive slow that day... A car pulls up next to me and matches speed. Same thing, I get nervous wondering who the hell they are. Stay like that for almost a minute then a siren goes off. I look, and see a DT car full of cops, they shine a light at me, stare for a sec, then speed off. 2 seconds later two cruisers also fly by. Seems they were looking at cars on the road searching for someone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.