VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: 5/10/2017 - I hope to be reorganizing this thread or creating a new one soon so consolidate info. This thread was initially created as a Work in progress and turned into to goto reference. So, your answer is in here, but you may have to sift.

There have been tons of questions lately about cluster swaps. Since this was a final "todo" to complete my late interior swap into my '90, I decided to share my research and hopefully get some answers I still have. Hopefully, others will post up some fact on the swaps they did.
Some facts (some obvious):
1.) 89-90 G60 used Mechanical Speedometers
2.) 89-90 Clusters have a VSS (Vehicle Speed sensor) right off the back of the speedo (speedo Cable plugs into this). This is a Hall Effect sensor used for Cruise, Spoiler and MFI (Later called MFA)
3.) All 92- Clusters used a MAP sensor on the back of the cluster for Fuel Economy calcs. My Understanding (from the Bentley) is that these MAPs or at least what is referenced via the EEPROM is different between the G60 and SLC (Due to Boost and non Boost). This may just be a ref calc on the memory chip though and not the actual MAP sensor. For G60 you can set the MFA into Diagnostic mode and get vac/boost numbers right off the MFA display and can translate them into absolute pressures via the Bentley (I think most are well aware of this)
4.) All Corrados 91+ used digital speedos and a VSS off of the "Speedo drive unit in the transmission". This VSS can screw directly onto and early drive unit in place of the speedo cable if you are swapping to digital.
5.) 89-90 Clusters have most of the circuitry built into the gauges themselves. And there is no True "PCB" in the cluster per say.
6.) All Corrado Clusters use physically the same plugs in the Cluster (T28) and U1 and U2 that plug into the Fuse Box. Wire Positions will vary though. You should use the cluster pig tail from the cluster you are installing! If not, then you will have to verify pins via the table below.
7.) 89-90 had only one indicator light for Turn Signal courtesy. Later had 2 Arrows for left and right
8.) 89-90 has an overheat and Coolant light built into the Temp Gauge and later had the LED across the bottom with the others. There was a coolant control unit on the 90 that looks like a relay. If you are swapping from 90 to digital you will have to correct this (see post in below thread on how to jump this) or else you will be stuck with a blinking coolant light

Likely the Most Desirable:
1.) The 93+ cluster that has the red needles, refaced gauges and "Corrado" insignia on the Tach.
2.) 93+ clusters do not have a MAP and tie one wire into the ECU for an injector pulse signal to determine fuel economy. Change injectors or FPR and this will be inaccurate...
3.) Contrary to the Bentley and the early clusters, all of the wires from the cluster to the Fuse box in the late style are ALL WHITE WIRES (with the exception of 4)
4.) The Late Cluster (91+) uses a full PCB for it's circuitry and the gauges are in their rare form and just plug into the PCB.
5.) The oil Temp and External Temp senders are different than G60's (form wise)

All clusters have a wire for VSS out that drives the Spoiler Module, Cruise and MFA via Blue/White wires
PINOUT:

Pin 1 = +12v (G1/4 i.e. Coil +12v)
Pin 2 = VSS Hall Signal (G1/11 -> U1/11 -> T28/27)
Pin 3 = Grnd (factory 91 = G1/6)

Now for the Good stuff
I successfully transplanted the later 93+ SLC Cluster into my 90. I had to get to the point where everythgin is functioning correctly, so the following posts describe my work in progress. Just note: there are errors that I have already found
Here is what happened initially after the swapt:
- Everything is in and works!! ...but needed to iron a few things
- The Tach Read low as I expected (going from a 6cyl to a 4). At about 900 I am ready about 600rpm. I may try to convert the signal and make it correct for the 4cyl via Megasquirt Tacho out or look at getting a later UK 16v tack with the higher redline. A Tach converter might work for others interested (momentum tuning, Dakota Digital or MSD).
EDIT: I ended up getting the PCB from a 91/92 Corrado and plugged in the later looking gauge modules. This gave me a correct tach reading and also has the Map sensor built in for the G60 MFA diagnostic and fuel eco calcs.

- i didn't have the Trans VSS from a 91-92 Corrado initially (and I am impatient), so I used the old Mech speed gauge only and soldered wires onto the VSS to drive the Late Speedo. The early gauge/VSS is driven via the cable obviously and is tucked out of site behind the late cluster. Works wonderfully

- There was no MFA Fuel Economy reading. The Violet/White wire that goes to the later ECU is an injector pulse.
- Outside Temp reads 122F when it should read ~80. Even though I tried both senders, both were bad. I used a new sender and this was corrected. Temp, I used and IAT sensor from and ABA as it had the same plug
The reading was very close.
Here is the Wiring Cross Reference.
BE CAREFUL!!! If you follow the circuit diagrams in the Bentley, it shows that they swapped Pin 11 and 17 (Oil Temp Sender and + Term30) after '92. THIS IS WRONG and I think they mixed up the labels for T28/11 and T28/17 on the Cluster Diagram. I physically verified this is wrong and was the reason the Oil Temp was screwed.
-T28 is the 28 Prong plug in the back of the cluster
- U1 and U2 are the two blue plugs at the other end of the cluster pigtail that plugs into the Fuse box in said positions. i.e.: U1/2 would be Plug U1 and wire position #2, etc.
- Still need to verify the functions of wires T28/26 (to ECU) and T28/28
EDIT(s): Updated image to reflect Bentley being incorrect.

removed some of my posts to clean things up, since the questions and answers are shown in responses.
EDIT: 6/18/2008 Added pics.
Click for Larger Pics
'90 Cluster PCB

'91+ Cluster PCB (Coil Pack- late '93+ looks the same except it does not have the Map sensor on the back for the MFA. Late one is actually pictured below even though the gauges have earlier faces)

91+ Tach vs 90 style

My Temp Hack job soldering wires onto the 90 Speedo's Speed sensor to drive the Digital speedo. It does work
, but I got the VSS now

91 Speedo vs Late 93+. Notice they appear interchangeable. Read threads below regarding this.

Modified by sdezego at 9:29 PM 6-18-2008

·
Banned
15,206 Posts
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (sdezego)

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
BTW: if anyone has a VSS from a 91-92 G60 (AYL) trans, IM me. I am still trying to find out if they were different for G60 SLC.
The final drives were different, so I assumed the VSS is different as well.

i have swapped 16V ones with VR ones

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (brilliantyellowg60)

Am i going to have problems swapping an early style 93 rado cluster into my '90 when i do my vr swap? is the rpm's going to be correct....i didnt really think of this until now...damn

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (Shinny_G60)

Quote, originally posted by Shinny_G60 »
Am i going to have problems swapping an early style 93 rado cluster into my '90 when i do my vr swap? is the rpm's going to be correct....i didnt really think of this until now...damn

RPM will be correct since the Cluster and Engine are Vr. You will have to make some wiring changes though as mentioned above, since the 90 cluster is different than the 93 (Mech vs Digital, Turn indicators, Coolant light etc).
S

·
Banned
15,206 Posts

Here is a silly question then. Does the VSS just screw onto the drive unit (Never had one apart before). Meaning, can I just unscrew (Or acquire) the VSS portion and screw it onto a mechanical Speedo Drive unit?
S

yes

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, I should have went with my instinct in feeling that VW would have never swapped the Positive lead #30 with a sensor wire, but I cautiously trusted the Bentley. THE BENTLEY IS WRONG
It you follow the circuit diagrams in the Bentley (pg 131, 164, etc), it shows that they swapped Pin 11 and 17 (Oil Temp Sender and + Term30) after '92. THIS IS WRONG and I think they mixed up the labels for T28/11 (U2/11) and T28/17 (U1/1) on the Cluster Diagram. I physically verified this is wrong and was the reason the Oil Temp was screwed. Luckily no damage resulted..

I updated the diagram to reflect. This is Good though and it means that you can physically plug any cluster into any year (but need to wire up additional features for Late into early like VSS, TurnSignal LEDs changes, etc).

Modified by sdezego at 10:36 AM 2-15-2007

·
Banned
15,206 Posts

. This is Good though and it means that you can physically plug any cluster into any year (but need to wire up additional features for Late into early like VSS, TurnSignal LEDs changes, etc).

that is what i have found also
you need to have the correct harness with the cluster
but they will plug in and work somewhat with the wrong harness

·
Banned
15,206 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I still need to see why the Ext temp is reading 122*F. I am assuming this is the max which means a grnd fault?? as mentioned, same thing with either ext sensor (G60 or Vr)

i assume that's what it means, when mine is unplugged it goes to -40

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (brilliantyellowg60)

what about the differences in going from a '92 VR6 to '93+ cluster?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (fstedie)

92 vr looks like a g60, white needles and lettering, 93+ is green lettering with orange needles and says "corrado" right on the dash which i love looking at personally...

·
Forum Elder
14,565 Posts
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (KMScorrado)

Quote, originally posted by KMScorrado »
93+ is green lettering with orange needles and says "corrado" right on the dash which i love looking at personally...

The lettering is white as well.

·
Registered
976 Posts

I have 3. One "accedentally" came with the trans I had put in my car when we did the engine swap. I also have access to 3 C's in the salvage yard.

I sent you email (PDF) of the findings I found when I experimented with a cluster similar.

·
Registered
976 Posts

The VSS does screw onto where the mechanical cable went.
I found this out when I had no speedo, I thought I'd pull on it and it moved a little, so I unscrewed it and it came right off. The cable fits right on where the VSS used to be.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (YellowZonker)

I just checked the Cluster PDF that you sent and it is correct. It basically emulates the T28 (1-28 Pin) cluster plug in the Bentley for 91-92. There is a table that pretty much matches yours starting on page 90.2 (for '90) and 90.20 for 91-92. It does show that Pin 28 is typically used for the Trans Range Selection, so that might be the answer on that question that I had
The problem is that the Bentley never published such a 1-28 table (as mentioned above) for the 93+ cluster (not even in the supplements) and I did not want to make the assumption that everything was the same. So, I was reliant on going through the Circuit diagrams and following the current paths from the cluster (T28) to the fuse box (plugs U1 and U2) and then to the sensors and such. This is where there is discrepancy in the Bentley.
The pinouts/functions that I have posted above are correct and jive with your PDF and the Bentley for the 91-92 clusters.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: The unofficial Cluster Swap thread (fstedie)

Quote, originally posted by fstedie »
what about the differences in going from a '92 VR6 to '93+ cluster?

Just the looks really. You would also likely loose the the Fuel Mileage on the MFA unless you switched to Coil Pack and used the Coil Pack ECU. Remember the 92 still have the MAP on the back of the cluster.

I'll Post a pic here in a bit just for reference.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts