VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on when your Dub was built, and the state of repair you purchased/maintain, you may or may not have the need to install "beer" into your iBelly.
In my case, my 95 needs a lot of little things fixed, and since I am of legal drinking age, I decided to install 2 "beers" (note the plural).
I started by weighing myself (195 pounds, 6'1"). I cross-checked this with a guy I know, who said "Yeah, you could lose a pound or 2."
(Note to female married Vortexers: You may have NEVER heard these words before; that doesn't mean they aren't true)
That meant I had to limit my choice to a lower carb (i.e. light) beer.
I also suspect (but didn't test) that having a single beer may be OK even if it isn't low carb.
My next step was to find a seller; luckily, Ohio has 2 choices, normal "walk-up" style (I call it Euro) and Midwestern "drive-thru"style (I call it lazy).
Once I decided to go with the "drive-thru", I had another problem and a very easy solution.
There were more than one manufacturer to choose from!. Luckily, I remembered that I had met one of them before, so I asked the parts guy (he walked right up to my car, and asked what I needed; VWoA, take note of superior customer service!) for Sam Adams Light.
He brought me a 6 pack (turns out they sell them in large multi-packs, which reduces your trips back to the parts counter).
Now, here is the first tricky part. I had called my credit union to verify there was $ in my account BEFORE I went, but you might want to bring cash along, just in case.
Then I had to show him identification (I guess they want to be sure I buy the right stuff), and off I drove to my house to begin the install.
I broke out the trusty Bentley and found that it had no reference for beer.
By looking at the parts, I could tell I would need a special tool to do the install. (Some may have the newer, "no-tool-required" type. I am told that these are easy to get wrong as well; counter-clockwise rotation is the key!).
I checked Pottermans and the 'tex, but I decided to use one of my own...

Here is a pic of the part I removed

Next, I used a combination of gravity and bottle re-positioning to empty the contents into the iBelly, then added a 2nd one just to be sure. (Note: The contents need to be cold for maximum effectiveness)
Here is a pic right before the install

The hardest part was stopping after number 2, they SEEM to get easier to empty as the number of installs goes up.....
Don't forget to return the empties for recycling!
I was so excited, I forgot to get "after install" pics of the iBelly. I'll post some later if anyone is interested.
Mk3 content:

Modified by DaddyOfPayton at 12:56 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (Dark Demon 8V)

nice write up, I installed a fresh vr6 of unfiltered last night, after i broke my windsheild trying to pry the old rearview mirror mounting point off

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (Moe Sizlack)

Thanks, Moe. I was going to submit it to the FAQ forum for similar reasons.....

·
Registered
7,908 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Moe Sizlack »
after i broke my windsheild trying to pry the old rearview mirror mounting point off
No prying!!!! TWIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (DaddyOfPayton)

what if instead, we all got together...& installed beer at the same time, while sharing stories!
we could call it....
Moe's Tavern

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (vdubfiend)

Quote, originally posted by vdubfiend »
No prying!!!! TWIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well...it's over at the glass shop now :shrug:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts

Another debate is if it was made in germany or mexico? Since mine's a 98 it was from mexico.

Thats not my arm btw

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

what if instead, we all got together...& installed beer at the same time, while sharing stories!
we could call it....
Moe's Tavern

This ain't no party; this ain't no disco.
This ain't no fooling around.
I ain't got time for that now!

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Selfish "back to page 1" bump....

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (WhenDubsCry)

OOH another beer thread,... I'll install a Heinekin Dark or 6, I hear they are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (stevegolf)

Quote, originally posted by stevegolf »
Another debate is if it was made in germany or mexico? Since mine's a 98 it was from mexico.

Thats not my arm btw

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

we could call it....
Moe's Tavern

meh

Modified by ShadowGTi at 8:00 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: The "Unofficial" Mk3 DIY Post (BlkMk3JettaKid)

Quote, originally posted by BlkMk3JettaKid »
Ummm... OK

Ummmm..Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.