VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autoweek, April 8, 2002, page 26:
Engineers think the only steering feedback you need is what it takes to aim the machine precisely. They give us crisp turn-in response, a small dead zone on-center, a sense of weight proportionate to turning force generated at the tire-road interface, etc. and call it good. I want something more: a tactility that vanished as tires got fatter and power assist stronger (even variable, for heaven's sake), and we went to front- or four-wheel drive. Drive an '87 Porsche 944 and you can feel, with your fingertips on the steering wheel, the texture of a road, sense that moment when the tire edges up against a tar strip between lanes, or crosses onto a freshly painted center line. Little road ripples translate into nibbles as sublime as the sensation of a small trout taking up a fly on a light tackle. Steer by wire? Like a gill net, it gets the job done, but there's no sport in it. A good driver given good steering isn't just pointing a car with that tool. He's detecting minute changes in road friction, receiving signals that tell him exactly where the car is placed on the bit of roadway that has just disappeared from his vision, probing for the finest tread-level load changes that define the edge of adhesion. Give me back that sensory experience, and you've sold a car.
-Kevin A. WIlson.
--
it was that sort of tactile response that sold us on the 924, it's that sort of thing that keeps me owning the 924. heh heh, it's also a shameless 944 promotion
obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (Ls1Tech)

That 99.99% of people were the ones who influenced BMW AG's decision of softening E46's sports suspension and increase the steering boost to make it feather weight.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (A4Jetta)

A sibling of mine had a 1985 BMW 318 that had finger-steer power assisted steering, like my dad's '74 Pontiac, and my old RX-7 on full steering boost. Didn't want to relax your arms kind of power assist.
The manual had a paragraph that said it was that way deliberately, because it's easy to move in evasive manouvres, no surprises, bla bla bla, but soft power assist isn't new to BMWs.
It still had decent feel, better than the VW, but the Mazda, even when I had the PS on (i unplugged it for fun sometimes) had better sensory input. The BMW still steered amazingly preciselyl. I was impressed.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (Obin Robinson)

obin---i just took out my porsche the other day <from winter hibernation>...oh man...quite different from the truck....the love affair has be rekindeled...i just have to be careful of my lead foot..

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,175 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (yellowbird)

Obin, for years David E Davis had said that every car magazine should keep a 944 in their fleet as a handling benchmark. Sadly, newer cars have moved beyond that balance....
Tom

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (Obin Robinson)

More shameless self promotion... when they hit the magazines in late '88, the 240SX was considered by many to be one of the few cars to capture that same wonderful feel as the 944 through its dynamics and steering.
C&D review notes of the 1989 240SX SE

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (AKADriver)

quote:[HR][/HR]More shameless self promotion... when they hit the magazines in late '88, the 240SX was considered by many to be one of the few cars to capture that same wonderful feel as the 944 through its dynamics and steering.
C&D review notes of the 1989 240SX SE[HR][/HR]​
Thanks for the link!
That is partially why I bought the 240sx, I always wanted a 944, but I knew I could never afford the costs. Well, CanuckPal told me about the 240sx. Near perfect weight balance, rwd, independant rear suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes, great handling. I just lack a bit in the power section

Poor mans Porsche http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Now if only the clutch would stop slipping.
Natty

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]You can always put SR20DET into 240SX to transform it into JDM-spec 200SX.
[HR][/HR]​
Sigh, one day.
Until then, anyone in the military stationed in Germany can pick up this beauty for $4995. Sweet car, but if I was in Germany, it would not be my top choice

Natty

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Re: the "Wish List" from Autoweek... we need steering like this in every car! (Natty)

this tactile information is one of the things I love about my integra... now before you say "but it's FWD! you don't know what you're talking about!!! you sux0rz" etc, let me say that as far as FWD cars go, I haven't found another vechicle that matches the amount and sensation of information that I get in my 2G. This alone might be the reason I'm having a hard time parting with it, or maybe it's the great cabin ergonomics... or the large field of view... or the sound of that little 1.8 trying it's best... or... oh well, looks like I'm keeping her for a couple more months

·
Registered
41,826 Posts

The S13 didn't sell very well there, but the car they got was very nice... CA18DET engine, and lots of unique features that even Japan didn't get like the rear foglight and 240km/h speedo. I'd kill to get my hands on that gauge cluster.
In Japan the car was called 180SX or Silvia, BTW, and it's all in the works for mine...
You know Nissan marketing people read the "import" magazines judging by the ad campaign for the Sentra SE-R, I wonder if the guy responsible for the 2.4 NA motor ever loses sleep over it?

·
Registered
8,673 Posts

so obin, does your 944 have the best steering you've ever experienced?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.