VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you saw my other thread with the interior swap but I wanted to start a real build thread. So I'm reposting the interior swap first. Most of the work I will be doing myself but I have the knowledge to do it all I just cant physically. Even the interior swap took a lot out of me, the first day I worked 20 hours straight (serious work ethic). But it left me in a lot of pain (couldn't even stand up) I currently have a fractured compressed spine and disc bulging (I.E. A LOT OF PAIN :eek: ) I'm waiting until this summer to have a spinal fusion with bone graft's and screws holding my spine together. But less about me more about building... :thumbup:

How it started

Steering wheel off

Terrible seats

No idea what this is :screwy:

this was missing

and this

The next morning with my wheels :)

Presents

First piece

more

The donor

radio wiring

finished

That weekend I went to the Stealership and got
-New key cut and programmed
-Door lock module replaced
-Window regulator replaced
-Clutch Switch replaced
-Brake system flush
-Smog
$1368 Bucks :banghead:

Next weekend I lowered it a half inch in the front and and inch in the back its on koni coilovers and mounted my gominigo front plate mount.

I currently have ordered
-Custom USP test pipe with welded in high flow cats
-ECS solid clutch bleeder
-NLS clutch slave spacer
-OEM steel skidplate mounting rivets (I already have a brand new skid plate)
-5 square feet of black lambskin leather (going to rewrap extra R32 steering wheel)

I'm waiting on James at fourseasontuning to get back to me on a quote for
-Timing chain replacement
-New Clutch
-Eurospecsport 268 cams
-UM tuning

And the things I'm going to order real soon are
-USP fluidampr
-Evoms stage 2 intake

Things I will order when I have more funds
-H&R sway bars
-Solid subframe mounts
-Tubular front control arms
-Adams rotors

I will also be having the front clip of the car resprayed with my old slight boser hood put on and my oem euro stubbies

·
Registered
213 Posts
That color is awesome!

:beer:

Good luck with the build and your back sir! I know back problems are the WORST. I really hurt mine lifting in high school and it plagued me for a year and it wasn't even as bad as yours. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support guys :thumbup: hopefully I wont be in as much pain one day...

Well I was hoping to get quoted around 3500 for the timing chain and misc. work but it came out to a little over 4300. So I'm selling my old audio set up to offset the cost a little. You can find that thread HERE I also have some R32 interior parts lying around.

I'm hoping to have that test pipe this weekend so I can throw it on and make a video with the sound for you guys. Also want to get the skidplate mounted this weekend and need to roll my front fenders.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I rewrapped my extra steering wheel that came with the R32 in black lambskin. It didn't come out perfect but pretty good for my first time trying this.

The old nasty steering wheel

Lamb skin hide

New pieces cut

Finished :beer:

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
I love everything going on here except for the Center of the Steering wheel. TO me that looks hideous :laugh: Otherwise everything is spot on :beer:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love everything going on here except for the Center of the Steering wheel. TO me that looks hideous :laugh: Otherwise everything is spot on :beer:
I guess its a hit or miss with that. I have thought about having it embroidered.

I adjusted my rear camber today and gave a shot at rolling my front fenders. Should be getting my work done at fourseasons in the next couple weeks and getting some paintwork done. Still waiting for my custom testpipe to arrive and will be ordering some parts soon.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Installed the test pipe.

Old and New

Also decided to throw on my OEM skid plate

Now here's some videos of the exhaust. These were cold starts, car was not warmed up.
First one is milltek non resonated cat-back and stock cats

Now the same cat-back with the custom high flow cats

]

There's a subtle difference in the videos but in person there's a bigger difference. Its louder and less raspy. Watching the videos I see some black smoke. Anyone have any ideas what that could be?

I got these parts in today :D waiting on the sway bars

·
Registered
816 Posts
Great early start:thumbup:
Jealous to see you doing work in Cali while mine hibernates all winter
This. Your moving along nicely with this.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There's a subtle difference in the videos but in person there's a bigger difference. Its louder and less raspy. Watching the videos I see some black smoke. Anyone have any ideas what that could be?
yes.

Revving the balls off of your engine when its not up to operating temp.

Vw advises not to go above 3.000RPM until youre at full operating temperature.
In cases of supercharged cars, its 2.500RPM until you've been at full operating temperature for 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great early start:thumbup:
Jealous to see you doing work in Cali while mine hibernates all winter
I don't think I could survive in cold weather :laugh:

This. Your moving along nicely with this.

yes.

Revving the balls off of your engine when its not up to operating temp.

Vw advises not to go above 3.000RPM until youre at full operating temperature.
In cases of supercharged cars, its 2.500RPM until you've been at full operating temperature for 2 minutes.
I suspected that but wanted to hear what someone else had to say. Thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nice progress so far:thumbup: How much did it run you for the test pipe and hi-flows? Ive been wanting to add some to my miltek non-res.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts