VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,481 Posts
I think C4s are at the bottom of the price curve.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's weird, to me the C4 is aging very nicely. I love the exterior because it has this retrofuture look that still feels modern. The interior I'm not a big fan of. I've never sat in one but it seems very low rent. That being said, it also has a somewhat "retro" charm that the C5 interior doesn't have. It's very cool that you can get these so cheap in the US.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,204 Posts
It's weird, to me the C4 is aging very nicely. I love the exterior because it has this retrofuture look that still feels modern. The interior I'm not a big fan of. I've never sat in one but it seems very low rent. That being said, it also has a somewhat "retro" charm that the C5 interior doesn't have. It's very cool that you can get these so cheap in the US.
The interior of the C4 really is pretty gross, and finding a good clean one is going to be important as all the plastics have aged out poorly and replacements are hard to come by.

That said, the C5 interior is that weird, bulbous/roundy design style of that era of GM that hasn't aged very well visually, either. It all reminds me of my buddy's mid-90s Pontiac Grand Am.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The interior of the C4 really is pretty gross, and finding a good clean one is going to be important as all the plastics have aged out poorly and replacements are hard to come by.

That said, the C5 interior is that weird, bulbous/roundy design style of that era of GM that hasn't aged very well visually, either. It all reminds me of my buddy's mid-90s Pontiac Grand Am.
This fact kept me from getting a TrailBlazer SS, so many times.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
While you're not wrong, it really doesn't matter that much when you're driving it. I've only driven mine a handful of times, but I only had the radio on for a few minutes. Listening to the engine is so much better. Looking out the windshield over the curvy hood is a much nicer view as well. The gauges are nice to look at, though.

If you want to sit in your garage stroking a dashboard, buy a Porsche! :p

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
While you're not wrong, it really doesn't matter that much when you're driving it. I've only driven mine a handful of times, but I only had the radio on for a few minutes. Listening to the engine is so much better. Looking out the windshield over the curvy hood is a much nicer view as well. The gauges are nice to look at, though.

If you want to sit in your garage stroking a dashboard, buy a Porsche! :p
The factory stereo is actually fantastic if you do want to ever listen to it, especially playing a CD.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
True , only good thing is the gauge cluster looks pretty nice and non cheesy, too bad the rest of the dash looks like crap

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,481 Posts
BRB. Going to watch some YT C4 videos.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,204 Posts
The C5 interior was a big deal when the cars cost $40-50k+ and looked like trash.

When a C5 costs $20k for a ZO6...man who cares?
As lont as it's clean, working properly, and not ratty, the interior design really isn't a big deal for me at all. I want the performance, and the exterior looks.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Anyone that hasn't driven a C6Z should go test drive one and I guarantee you'll change your mind about brand image or "prestige". I'm not saying you'll want to buy one but I'll put money on it that you will giggle like a little girl going WOT all the way to redline.

A LS7 pulling to 7k redline is insane and not what anyone that hasn't driven one would expect. When I bought my Z I was originally looking for a 997 S or GTS but my friend kept telling me to test drive a C6Z and I kept dismissing it like it was a dumb idea. Having grown up modding VW's and dreaming of the day I could afford an Audi or Porsche a corvette never crossed my mind. But I finally broke down to his pressure took one for a test drive and holy sheet I "NEVER" have ever driven anything like it. My Z when it was bone stock pulled to it's 7k redline harder than my 3076R 2,600lb S2000 all the while still managing 26mpg on the open highway. The LS7 is so much different than any other stock engine that they've put in a Chevy past or present that unless you driven one you really have no idea. A modded NA LS3 or LT1 is not comparable unless you spend an insane amount of money to achieve what a LS7 can do stock or lightly breathed on.

Potato pic of said Z

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Bumping this general Corvette thread because we are thinking seriously about getting one this summer.

Nothing says “Turning 50” like Corvette shopping.

The Miata has been a lot of fun but we’d like something a bit bigger and quicker that we will be more comfortable taking on long trips post-covid and after our son leaves the nest.

We’ll likely have a $10k-ish budget and being the age I am I still love C4s.

Initially I thought “LT1 or nothing” but
this was an interesting read. Apparently the L98 cars are very well liked.

I’m not chasing the fastest or most powerful. This won’t be a track car, just a weekend tourer. Needs to be targa at least or a convertible.

Happy to hear any advice. Thanks!
Here is my vote.
Stretch your budget just a little bit.

·
Registered
16,711 Posts
I've always hated the C4, but I'm starting to come around on it. Then again every time I start looking around for one, I can't get over that for a few grand more I can own a C5 which is a dramatically better car.

As someone who has owned two C5s in my younger days, I could definitely see a C5 6spd track rat with race seats and aftermarket steering wheel in my garage.

·
Registered
16,711 Posts
Anyone have experience with 4th gen Camaros? Especially the Z/28 LS1. Curious if that would scratch the C5 Corvette itch, or completely different experiences.

This one's not too far from me, and it's minty

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 6-Speed

Completely different experience from my perspective. I have a size 10 foot (aka don't have clown shoes) and the foot well/pedal setup in the Camaro is enough for me to say no way.

181 - 200 of 218 Posts