VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

141 - 160 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Christmas came early at my house. Picked up this 2001 Z06 yesterday. It's got 112k miles so that made the price affordable but it also means it needs attention in some areas. The good news is the paint is shiny!

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,925 Posts
I’ve been doing way too much online corvette browsing lately. Joked with my wife the other day about getting one and replacing the Miata and she was surprisingly keen on the idea.

Love our NA Miata but it is small (we are not) and it’s not fun (imo) for longer highway trips. Something a bit bigger, more powerful, and GT-like would be nice for our empty nest years.

I’m also very into a PRHT NC Miata, so who knows. Lotta fun options out there.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Right on! Congrats! Need a thread on this ASAP.
Thanks! It's something I've been dreaming about for a long time so it's kind of surreal that I actually have it.

I’ve been doing way too much online corvette browsing lately. Joked with my wife the other day about getting one and replacing the Miata and she was surprisingly keen on the idea.

Love our NA Miata but it is small (we are not) and it’s not fun (imo) for longer highway trips. Something a bit bigger, more powerful, and GT-like would be nice for our empty nest years.

I’m also very into a PRHT NC Miata, so who knows. Lotta fun options out there.
I was seriously considering a Z4 before I got this 'vette, but my wife said she didn't really like convertibles. 15 years ago, we spent a week driving down the California coast from San Jose to LA in a (then new to market) NC Miata. While it was a fun experience, I was surprised at how crappy it was as a long distance cruiser. The ride was harsher than I expected. Now granted I've only driven my Corvette a grand total of about 15 miles, but it rides quite well. The trunk is more than ample for a weekend or week long getaway for two.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I got to drive mine for the first time in 5 months today. From the body shop right to the storage building.

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,337 Posts
I got to drive mine for the first time in 5 months today. From the body shop right to the storage building.

still SO jealous of the color

·
Registered
40 Posts
As i mentioned in your other thread.... I absolutely LOVE my C6Z.

Very thankful I got to drive my neighbors 2009 around, it gave me a new perspective on Corvettes.
After months of shopping and debating whether i wanted to take the plunge, i found mine locally at a dealership.
Watched them slowly come down on price, then went in on my birthday and made a deal.

While the LS7/Valve drop stigma is always in the back of my head, at 53k miles, this thing is still a freaking monster of a car
and is still punching at modern sports cars like Tyson in his prime.

Now I wait for springtime to take it out again. Gonna be a long few months.

·
Premium Member
35,925 Posts
Bumping this general Corvette thread because we are thinking seriously about getting one this summer.

Nothing says “Turning 50” like Corvette shopping.

The Miata has been a lot of fun but we’d like something a bit bigger and quicker that we will be more comfortable taking on long trips post-covid and after our son leaves the nest.

We’ll likely have a $10k-ish budget and being the age I am I still love C4s.

Initially I thought “LT1 or nothing” but
this was an interesting read. Apparently the L98 cars are very well liked.

I’m not chasing the fastest or most powerful. This won’t be a track car, just a weekend tourer. Needs to be targa at least or a convertible.

Happy to hear any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Bumping this general Corvette thread because we are thinking seriously about getting one this summer.

Nothing says “Turning 50” like Corvette shopping.

The Miata has been a lot of fun but we’d like something a bit bigger and quicker that we will be more comfortable taking on long trips post-covid and after our son leaves the nest.

We’ll likely have a $10k-ish budget and being the age I am I still love C4s.

Initially I thought “LT1 or nothing” but
this was an interesting read. Apparently the L98 cars are very well liked.

I’m not chasing the fastest or most powerful. This won’t be a track car, just a weekend tourer. Needs to be targa at least or a convertible.

Happy to hear any advice. Thanks!
If you want a Targa just look at a C5. The roof can be removed or put back on in about 30 seconds, unlike the C4 which you need to get your torx bits out. I personally love the late C4 interiors, but for $10k my money would go towards a C5.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Pre-Covid, $10k would have bought you an awesome C4. It should still get you a very nice one. As already stated, the 6 speed is most important. I think ‘89 and ‘90 get you the square body still if that matters to you. I used to think LT1 or else as well but I hear there are computer issues now that they are so old. L98 is still Gen 1 small block so there are trillions of parts available and you get the cool TPI intake. C4s have wide sills and cramped foot wells so see how you fit. C5’s have better space I think. Things I’ve read say C5’s are much better from 2001 on. Get an account in Corvette Forum and read a lot. There’s a nice video on Everyday Driver about cheap sports cars where they drive a C4. Worth a watch. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,337 Posts
I need to do a LOT of reading on CorvetteForum and get up to speed on it all.
just copying from the CSB thread

that budget will get you a C5. if you find a C6 for 10k it will be a absolute basket case, automatic, bad title or a 2005 model (very bad). try to find a 2001+ C5 base (targa) for around 10k should be no problem. 2000 and older models i would avoid due to weird ABS modules that will fail and are NLA. 2001+ you can get rebuilt when they fail.

i personally wouldnt look at a C4. just not worth it for what you can get out of the C5. the C5 is just a bigger and more powerful miata. the 6spd gets great highway MPG and the trunk is honestly massive for what it is

Reactions: Sporin

·
Premium Member
35,925 Posts
I’m going to need help finding a car when the time comes because I guess I’m looking in the wrong places for $10k C5’s.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The factory GM option is a clear roof. No reason to buy aftermarket.
I would go aftermarket if my clear roof needed some work or was damaged, I'd send it as a core and get a completely refurbished roof over buying a used one. I do wish my car had the dual roof option TBH. When I was stuck in traffic around DC on my way to NC in July the A/C kept up, but I just couldn't hide from the sun.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I’m going to need help finding a car when the time comes because I guess I’m looking in the wrong places for $10k C5’s.
if you are on FB corvette buy sell & trade is a good place to look. 10k is doable but it will have higher miles for a 2001+ model (which again is the years you want). might be able to find some in the sub 12k range easier that could possibly be talked down. i also suggest seeing if any local used car dealership has a 6spd in stock that you would be able to test drive and get a feel for.

Reactions: Sporin

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

141 - 160 of 218 Posts