VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

6181 - 6200 of 6219 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,408 Posts
Snapped a few of my father-in-law’s new Polymetal RF a while back. Definitely not as raw as the Mazdaspeed it replaced but so much more balanced an experience. Loooove the lines on the RF.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Om Nom Nom! It looks like that Mustang is going to swallow you hole.

Snapped a few of my father-in-law’s new Polymetal RF a while back. Definitely not as raw as the Mazdaspeed it replaced but so much more balanced an experience. Loooove the lines on the RF.

Nice! Poylmetal in these photos looks soo much less blue than I'm used to seeing. Even in person (under car show lights), it looked way more blue than grey. But in these photos it looks a lot greyer. It looks great!

·
Premium Member
11,408 Posts
Nice! Poylmetal in these photos looks soo much less blue than I'm used to seeing. Even in person (under car show lights), it looked way more blue than grey. But in these photos it looks a lot greyer. It looks great!
It's a dynamic color for sure. Between bright sunlight and a heavier touch in Lightroom it looks more gray in the pictures, but it's definitely blue in darker conditions. He went with the wine-colored interior which is an interesting combo with PMG.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Man, NDs are really growing on me. This stance looks fantastic... what suspension/springs are on there?
I agree 100%, and unless I go a completely different direction an ND will probably be the NC's replacement. Just a little wheel/tire fitment and ride height adjustment makes all the difference in the world with these cars.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Man, NDs are really growing on me. This stance looks fantastic... what suspension/springs are on there?
Thanks!

The suspension is the Flyin' Miata Fox Coilovers. The ride height and alignment are at FM's recommendations - 13.0" hub-to-fender (front) and 13.5" hub-to-fender in the rear.

On the wheels are Garageline spacers - 15mm in the front and 20mm in the rear. Those are the 'standard' spacer dimensions on miata.net to push out the stock wheels to something nicer. Now that I have them on the car, they look great, but when you are right next to the car you can still see they aren't flush. That probably has to do with the camber, though. I can see why people do 20mm/25mm instead. I wouldn't do the 20mm/25mm spacers just because I want to be free of event the possibility rubbing, especially since the rear fenders aren't rolled.

The wheels are the OEM 17x7 BBS wheels with the stock 205/45/17 tires. On my list for the future is to get some wider tires - probably 215/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. (The 215 tires are another reason why I wouldn't go with bigger spacers.)

Before I bought the car, I was planning on getting 17x9 wheels and 245 tires pretty soon after purchase, but the BBS wheels grew on me and I decided to use spacers and wear out the stock tires. I always planned on lowering the car because I've long thought that the factory wheel gap was too much. I put the coil overs on the car when it had less than 200 miles on the odometer.

Also, for what it's worth, even though the car looks really low, I can still get it up my driveway with a pretty steep incline at the road. I'm also able to park the car over my QuickJacks in the garage. I wasn't able to park my NA (with FM springs) over the QuickJacks due to the exhaust routing low under the differential.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Clutch should be a lot more progressive than that. Judging by the hellaflush wheels you got (should be able to fit 225s without rubbing) it might have some kinda race clutch nonsense. I commuted in stop and go traffic in mine for 10 years.

hey! someone finally made jump to conclusions mat!

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,456 Posts
The "you need a Miata" thread

Finally took the car out for a good ride today. It gave me a little hiccup and a temporary CEL twice. Going to see if it will flash me any codes.

Hoping it’s just from sitting so much. :scared:

EDIT——-

17 Heated oxygen sensor (inversion)

So bad O2 sensor.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
@nyexx, that's a real cherry-congrats!

For some reason, the MSM has less room inside than the NA had. With the roof up, I look like this:

And I'm only 5'11. The seating position is very high as well-if I sit up naturally I can only see 15 feet in front of me. Are their any aftermarket mounts or solutions that let me keep the stock leather seats? Alternatively, are their any cheap racing style seats available?

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,456 Posts
Finally took the car out for a good ride today. It gave me a little hiccup and a temporary CEL twice. Going to see if it will flash me any codes.

Hoping it’s just from sitting so much. :scared:

EDIT——-

17 Heated oxygen sensor (inversion)

So bad O2 sensor.
Update. I replaced it with a new Bosch unit, undid the battery, cleared the codes, and got the same issue a mile from my house. Going to trouble shoot the sensor and see if it's getting all the signals it should be, but I'm annoyed.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
The "you need a Miata" thread

@nyexx, that's a real cherry-congrats!

For some reason, the MSM has less room inside than the NA had. With the roof up, I look like this:

And I'm only 5'11. The seating position is very high as well-if I sit up naturally I can only see 15 feet in front of me. Are their any aftermarket mounts or solutions that let me keep the stock leather seats? Alternatively, are their any cheap racing style seats available?
Yes, there are low profile seat mounts to fix the factory seats to the floor as flow as possible. You lose the slider capability of the stock seat mounts. But that’s generally not an issue for people who need the super low mounts. Contact Jerry Caldwell of JCALD Fabrication.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/member.php?u=171888

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
OK TCL Miata hivemind, help me out with this one. This has been on my local CL for a while now and I keep clicking on it:

CL ad said:
For Sale 1999 Mazda Miata. 5 speed, manual windows, non abs, AC unhooked, no soft top/hard top only, stock exhaust.
Never raced or auto-crossed, adult owned

Engine:
Original block
Bored 0.010 and decked 0.010
Pistons OEM 2001-2005 / 0.010 oversized
ACL rod and main bearings stock size
OEM water pump
OEM oil pump

Cylinder Head:
Original Head
Shaved 0.020
Ported and Polished on exhaust side only
Valve job
Mazda speed intake cam
Compression 10.3:1

5X timing wheel 14 degree advance
Magnacore 8.5 spark plug wires
Injectors cleaned and flow tested
Super Miata Qmax coolant reroute
Alternator and starter rebuilt
Mazda Speed motor mounts

Suspension:
Flyin Miata Vmaxx extreme coil over with track springs
Stock sway bars with Super Miata adjustable end links

Brakes:
Hawk HPS street/sport pads
Braided brake lines
Flyin Miata master cylinder brace

Wheels:
Jongbloed 15 x 8 offset + 36 satin bronze
ARP racing wheel studs

Tires:
Continental Extreme Contact Sport Plus 205/50 15

Steering Wheel:
Momo Monte Carlo 350mm

Hard top will not be sold separately. Serious inquires only.
There are a lot of fancy terms and parts thrown around. What do you make of it? Any good? Worth lookin at? Sounds like a backroad barnstormer but would suck for a casual ride with the wife.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
OK TCL Miata hivemind, help me out with this one. This has been on my local CL for a while now and I keep clicking on it:

There are a lot of fancy terms and parts thrown around. What do you make of it? Any good? Worth lookin at? Sounds like a backroad barnstormer but would suck for a casual ride with the wife.
Depends on what the seller is looking for price-wise. You're correct in your assumption that this would make a great backroads bomber or starter autocross weapon (although the coilovers immediately put you in STR where you'll get creamed by S2000s) and it really depends on your wife's tolerance for suspension harshness. It will be uncomfortable for sure, but I did daily my STR-prepped NA from April-November every year (and a 100-mile round trip commute at that). It did get to me eventually, but it took 4 years. My wife loved driving it as well.

A '99 5-speed non-ABS car is about as good as it gets for a NA/NB base, IMO. Rumor has it that it's the lightest 1.8L platform, and IMO the 6-speed in the later NB's doesn't add much to the experience. The VVT cars have a little more grunt, but were found to not produce the claimed HP and aren't as exhilarating as hitting VTAK.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wanted a Miata, I still wanted a Miata. A first gen Miata with the freaking pop ups, I love them.

Thing is, down here in Spain those models go for 6-5 grand, the poor condition ones. Most of them are imported from US and in poor condition.

Couldn't break the bank although I should have :D

6181 - 6200 of 6219 Posts