VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2229 Posts

·
Premium Member
'02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,289 Posts
This has long been a debate before about the TCO. Some say it's no more expensive than a MKIV. I don't no the accuracy behind it, but I have a lady who owns one and she needed a steering rack for it, cost was $850 for the rack plus labor of $250.
I just did mine this summer and it cost me under $500. Just buy a refurbished unit and do it yourself and it becomes quite reasonable. I also replaced the radiator, but other than that my 220k mile car hasn't needed any attention since the suspension was refreshed over a year ago. They're affordable cars to own.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I just did mine this summer and it cost me under $500. Just buy a refurbished unit and do it yourself and it becomes quite reasonable. I also replaced the radiator, but other than that my 220k mile car hasn't needed any attention since the suspension was refreshed over a year ago. They're affordable cars to own.
Suspension refresh? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
Wow, that cluster surround is awesome! Alpina piece?

This '98 M3 5-speed sedan with a clean title, 190k and some suspension mods (H&R springs) is listed for $5k locally.

·
Premium Member
54,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hey TCL, long time lurker first time poster. Good thread :thumbup:

I believe there are only four genuine E36 Alpinas in North America - two B8 and two B3. I'm lucky enough to own a B3 and would love to have a B8 too! :) Mine is a B3 sedan in Hellrot red. It was imported from Japan to Canada a few years ago. Here's a few pics:

Wow a Hellrot E36? rad.
Hey, how difficult is it to find an Alpina front spoiler (doesn't need to be 'real')

·
Registered
774 Posts
Wow, that cluster surround is awesome! Alpina piece?
Yes that is an Alpina piece. Alpina usually adds some extra gauges in their models. :thumbup: In this case it shows engine oil pressure and oil temperature, differential temperature and the selected gear (Switchtronic) - in a manual model it would show battery voltage instead.

Wow a Hellrot E36? rad.
Hey, how difficult is it to find an Alpina front spoiler (doesn't need to be 'real')

I see them on ebay.de pretty regularly, but they don't usually ship to NA. I'm not sure if they can be sourced more locally. I'd love to have a backup since it's so low and just a matter of time before I collect a racoon with it. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
54,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
If I were to do it all over again (Non-M):

what front spoiler is that?

Also, I've just been made aware of a trunk wiring issue that can cause fires... good to know. easy to fix, just need to diagnose the wires in the trunk harness

·
Registered
702 Posts
awesome thread! I own 3 e36s, I love these things. A 94 325i vert, a 98 328 sedan, and a 99 M3 vert. I've never gotten around to taking proper pics, but here are a couple cell phone shots.
Sorry for the bad quality, there all I have for now.

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
^^^

Reminds me of Clueless :D:

and The Chase:

·
Registered
702 Posts
lol, I had never seen clueless, but my coworkers made endless Charlie Sheen jokes after seeing the red one the 1st time.:laugh:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey TCL, long time lurker first time poster. Good thread :thumbup:

I believe there are only four genuine E36 Alpinas in North America - two B8 and two B3. I'm lucky enough to own a B3 and would love to have a B8 too! :) Mine is a B3 sedan in Hellrot red. It was imported from Japan to Canada a few years ago. Here's a few pics:
Beautiful car.

I'm thinking about an 3.0 or 3.2 B3 Coupe or Cabrio. Great cars, classic BMW straight six at it's best.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My Estoril blue vert with a manual trans. It was a 99 and I got it with 100k for $4500. Other than the a couple rips in the drivers seat it was nearly perfect and had all its maintenance kept up on. So far it's been 10x as reliable as our VW.

41 - 60 of 2229 Posts