VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the price reduction on a theft recovery? Is it a %?
I am in a position where I would like to buy a sports car and pretty much turn it into a street legal racecar. I will be in it for the long haul, I will probably never sell it so I could care less about resale value.

Anybody know a good place to buy them?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: Theft Titled Cars (BltByKrmn)

Auctions

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Theft Titled Cars (val98m3sc)

Quote, originally posted by val98m3sc »
Umm, from car thieves?

Maybe you missed the "recovery" part. It's kind of tough to register a stolen vehicle at DMV.

BTW, here is a picture I'm sure all of you are familiar with.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts

Well I'm not really sure what the general rule of thumb but I would think it would be in the 20-25% range....but that's just my guess. It could be more or less depending on if the car was stripped, if it was stripped who put it back together etc
Mike

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »

Maybe you missed the "recovery" part. It's kind of tough to register a stolen vehicle at DMV.

BTW, here is a picture I'm sure all of you are familiar with.

haha, yeah mike bought that car and gutted it with only like 200mi on the clock. i was like, dude are kidding me?!?! then he told me it was a recovery vehicle
if i was ever going to make a dedicated track car out of a "new" car, id take the same route he did. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

There is no standard % that the value goes down. It's all a matter of how much you are willing to pay. Most people won't touch cars with salvage or theft title. Others don't have a problem with them and can get them for cheap because of the stigma. I would think you have to get them at an auction since the insurance companies don't sell them themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts