VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idea to share a bit of your own history, then and now.

I start with a pic from 2011, my 986 S with our doggo "Aphi", 2nd pic now with our 981 and her again.

The 986 was great but had to make space for another car due to job change. And Aphi is now 13 years old and it shows.....

How about any of you fellow TCL'ers??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'll start this now and add to it with edits as I have years and years of photos to go through.

But here's a decent start. November 2007: I just bought my first Miata and decided to give one of our pugs, Kurt, a ride around the block. He didn't really like it.

October 2008: Safety first? Three pugs snoozing in the lap of front seat passenger in our 2007 Santa Fe

February 2010: Cooper hangs out in the garage while I'm messing with my 90 Miata

April 2012: Kurt pays me a visit while I'm working in the driveway

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
Nice. :thumbup:

We had a pair of dogs that went a lot of places with us. Got one in 2006 and the other in 2008. They moved from MO -> CA -> CO -> NC with us, and lots of long road trips in between... licked the salt flats, even. They did it all in a cobbled together telescoping soft dog crate in the back seat, mostly. I don't have a ton of pictures of them with cars, oddly.

2009?

On a drive from MO -> AZ, I had to get a bed for Bugs:

2015?

Bear at 16:

Those two are no longer with us, sadly. We have a new little guy, but no photos yet. He's ridden in the same kennel. Even tried to destroy it...

Edit- found a terrible pic of the new guy:

He's on a two week trail adoption, so we'll see if he makes the cut. So far pretty good and will probably keep him, even though he's smaller, mixed with many things, and less pointy in shape than our old sable German Shepherd.

These cheap crates are also great at keeping hair and dog contained:

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,817 Posts
You already had me with your first dog. My first dogs as a kid were Alfie and Rainbow.

Then:

Madde was the best dog ever. RIP.. With my Imola 20th and my Sammiches t-shirt if anyone remembers that.

Then came Delilah and she was a great dog too. Awesome at roadtrips and she was the veteran of many. Also RIP... :(

Now:

Maggie is now three and not good in the car sadly. We are working on it though.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
This is Willie, inspecting my soon-to-be-installed exhaust for my NA Miata about 5-6 years ago:

Now, he more or less DGAF about my cars or bikes :laugh:

A closer view shows how much grey he's grown over the years. He's only ~7 years old now (Shepherd/Hound mix) but his face was noticeably darker when he was younger. When we got him at ~1 year old, his face used to disappear in photos. Not so much now.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
right after we brought our Airedale home in the trusty Honda Fit

The HRV is only a little bigger than the Fit but Ripley has grown a lot

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So cool, thanks for sharing!

Here’s another one of our Aphi, she likes car runs!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Tow dog at Hollister Hills off road park. He got a bit spooked on the way back down when we took a hit going down a step - enough to cause the seat belts to all tighten up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,688 Posts
Mr. Monty and his favourite car to be in, even though I'd rather put him in the back of the wagon.

The car looked different back then but don't have one of the both of them, but here he is 6 years ago. He's 9 years old now, and people still think he's a puppy. He's ****ing awesome, and I'm so lucky that he's still got that energy, even with a lot more grey around his muzzle.

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
The car looked different back then but don't have one of the both of them, but here he is 6 years ago. He's 9 years old now, and people still think he's a puppy.
Nice. Our old German Shepherd had a ton of energy until 12. It was impressive.

This seems relevant. Hatchbacks are so practical. :p

I've since bought an additional smaller crate (32"). Still doesn't fit. Oh well. That's what the back seat is for.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,817 Posts
Nice. Our old German Shepherd had a ton of energy until 12. It was impressive.

This seems relevant. Hatchbacks are so practical. :p

I've since bought an additional smaller crate (32"). Still doesn't fit. Oh well. That's what the back seat is for.
Have you considered one of those dividers that mount to the rear seatback? Then you could just load your pup in the hatch. I've decided I need one because every time I put Maggie in the back seat I have to vacuum for an hour. :facepalm:

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
Have you considered one of those dividers that mount to the rear seatback? Then you could just load your pup in the hatch. I've decided I need one because every time I put Maggie in the back seat I have to vacuum for an hour. :facepalm:
Yeah, I have. Might get one for the Rav4, as we usually use that for dog hauling. The smaller crate fits in that just fine as well. I also have a soft crate that fits in the trunk or back seat. :thumbup: I was just curious how much it, er, wouldn't fit in my impractical CUV.

·
Registered
15,268 Posts
So many handsome Doggos!!

Marley (he came with the name, and we thought it fit) is a 35 lb mutt of dubious pedigree. He loves car rides. Here he is in our 06 Fozzy telling us to hurry up and get in the car already! This is about 6 years ago.

The best of Marley The Mad Mystery Mutt by geofftii2002, on Flickr

He sometimes likes to ride backwards.

A little later in the Mini Clubman:

Cookie Time!

I have to find newer pics and upload them... I have so bloody many pictures of him. :heart:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts