VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ponder....
Ponder selling the fox.
I love my car, don't get me wrong. I have had so much fun, learned much and cussed more, but can honestly said it has much more character than any of the way-too-many other 'dubs I have/had.
It's new job time, and it's looking to be a long-distance one, and I simply refuse to haul the fox over that many miles every day and risk some idiot out there to bash me because they are what they are, idiots.
I'll put some more pics up (more recent) and give it a whirl. But before I do, I need some ideas on how much it would be worth, because what I think it's worth would make most people laugh!

Here's a start:
EVERYTHING is factory application (and near condition) with the exception of the brakes (audi 4k calipers, carriers, v.rotors), 20% tint on rear three, and tinted turns from Zarrir, oh, and the 5-star late 90's gti wheels. Other than that, it is still the same car that rolled off the lot, all accompanying documents/manuals/etc are still in the gc, plus a log of all receipts of all maintenance actions, every tag, every tire, everything including the original purchase order. I am second owner to the car, the original owner being an episcopal priest and seeing as though he traded in a 80 vw rabbit for this car at the dealer, he might be a dubber, too. let's see, 148k miles, cold air (though I wish the "fresh air" fan has more cahones).
What else would I need to take into consideration to place a value to it?
Edit: Remember, it's not for sale, I'm only pondering the aspect of selling it. Besides, I need to convince myself I need that new TDI first before selling anything, lol!

[Modified by Vee Dubb, 9:09 PM 8-4-2002]

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Re: There comes a time in one's life.... (Vee Dubb)

The biggest variable in the worth of an older car is usually rust or lack of it.
Tinted windows are nice. However, 20% is illegal in many states and would prevent passing inspection at time of re-titling. Similarly, if the tinted turns don't indicate DOT approval, they could be a problem too. However, those are minor issues if car is otherwise in nice condition.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: There comes a time in one's life.... (FOXisVW2)

quote:[HR][/HR]The biggest variable in the worth of an older car is usually rust or lack of it. [HR][/HR]​
Nice thing about this car, not only is there not a single spot of rust (trust me, I have checked, assuming you don't mind the obligatory spot in the battery tray) but there isn't even a dent in it! No door dings, nothing. Perfectly strait and rust free (gotta remember, it's a southern car, has never seen roadsalt)
quote:[HR][/HR] Tinted windows are nice. However, 20% is illegal in many states and would prevent passing inspection at time of re-titling. [HR][/HR]​
Granted, the light transmission falls short of law, but I can atleast say, through experience on both sides of the badge, having the tint ONLY in the rear of the vehicle, with NO tint on the driver's/passenger's side or windscreen, they usually don't mess with you. If they do, trust me, the tint isn't what started it!
quote:[HR][/HR] Similarly, if the tinted turns don't indicate DOT approval, they could be a problem too. However, those are minor issues if car is otherwise in nice condition.
[HR][/HR]​
True, but one thing I am curious about, there are absoloutly NO deviations between markings from the original stock tail lenses and the tinted lenses that I got from Zarrir. Every aspect of the lenses are identical to the original, less the tint. Worse case senario, put the factory turns back on and remove the tint and voila... it's back to factory.
Main question now is can I actually convince myself that I would rather go back to diesels before I start doing more things to the fox?

· Registered
1,337 Posts

"it's a southern car, has never seen roadsalt"
Sounds great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif But now that you are in Delaware, I guess that means don't get too near the ocean and park it all winter.

And if you do decide to sell the wagon, I'd like the chance to make you an offer.

· Registered
2,407 Posts

Yanks do it a different way: called "get a winter beater". A/C? What for? Rust just helps you get the car cheaper, and feel better when you it does die.
Look around, ask around. If you have a garage availability, you have a prime example of a "rare" car. Especially in the condition yours is in. Lots of people up North have both winter and summer rides.
Waterfest is not far away from you, I think.
Do diesels work well in the frigid tundra? I guess a block heater would be good for either diesel or gas.
I know of very few guys who have had their Foxes longer than me. I think ALL of them have wagons. Snow, Slvrparati, maybe Vinz. I think there is a reason here.
Are you ready to adopt someone elses problems, or buy new? If buying new is the way, then I say go for it. Also there is the not enough space problem with someone else, but that is far and in between.
I understand your dilema. Been there. I remember back in the late 90's driving to the dealer and looking hard at a Passat wagon. Then I kept her, but if finances would have been less tight -well.
Just a thought or two.
LP

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: There comes a time in one's life.... (92foxrox)

Well, the only reason I bought the car in the first place was because I wanted to make it a diesel. I had located a 1.9 n/a diesel that was low mileage (80k, which is very low diesel mileage) and had a diesel dasher located for everything to make it fit. I was thinking something along the lines of "more aerodynamic than a rabbit, but about the same weight, more cargo room, looks cooler, it's atleast four years newer than any rabbit, sure why not".
Then I got into it, and found that it is a pristine car, and damned if for the life of me I can't let myself cut her up, and that's no fun. Every vw I have ever had has been a project in the works, or a rolling project. All I can talk myself into with this fox is bolt on stuff that can be removed to put the factory stuff back on. Hell, I am even afraid to take the radio out, I built adapters for the factory speaker connections so that I didn't cut the wires.
Anyways, I need to get something newer to handle the traffic on the turnpikes that I won't be afraid to get bashed in (or afraid of scratching my precious paint) and that I won't be afraid to park in a parkinglot and risk door dings. I feel alot like a kid who is outgrowing his toys. Mom wants them gone, but even though you don't play with them much anymore, you just can't get up the gumption to throw them away. Plus, it's kinda one of those things where if I don't move it now, before I DO do something drastic to it (cut holes in door panels for component speakers, rip the rear axle off to swap for discs, cut the battery tray off and relocate... etc) I feel I should let someone else get to say they own a near-perfect factory condition fox wagon, because it's probably the last one around like it.
I'm gonna go put a
in my

how depressing

· Registered
975 Posts

Vee Dubb,
You sound just like me and my 90 Fox wagon. Your previous post mirrors my thought exactly. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Mine stays in the garage always and is very pristine. I also can't bear the thought of doing anything to it that I can not return to stock later. Just remember that once you get rid of a neat car like this it is very hard to get it back. And, there will come a time at some point in the future where you will regret having gotten rid of it.
Been there. I could go on and on..........................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.