VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i have a 1.8t and i cannot figure out a way to get the thermostat housing unbolted without pulling the whole entire motor lol any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I haven't replaced mine before but it might help if you remove the SAI lines it'll give you a little more room to work with. Then if you have a u-joint attachment for your ratchet and an extension or two.

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
did you have a look at this diy? http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1730221

if you have the right extensions/joints for a socket wrench you can get at it by going directly to Part 5. (i dont think i used the exact socket setup in the picture, i just used a socket wrench with a short extension, a jointed socket and then the 10mm bit inside of that and shoved my hands down in there) otherwise take the time by following the diy all the way through to give yourself some extra room to work. it is a pain to remove and put back in, but it can be done :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Engine cools down on highway

After reading some posts it seems that the problem could be my thermostat,

When I let my car idle it gets up to operating temp. but when i start driving or get on the highway it goes just above those 3 small lines.

The temp also drops in city driving but not as drastically.. i've never had a problem with it over heating though.. sound like it the stat? Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts

When I let my car idle it gets up to operating temp. but when i start driving or get on the highway it goes just above those 3 small lines.

The temp also drops in city driving but not as drastically.. i've never had a problem with it over heating though.. sound like it the stat? Thanks!
Sounds like your coolant pump. They come with a plastic impeller which breaks. When I pulled mine out, it shattered into 10 or so pieces. Find one with a metal impeller.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thermostat! if it were your waterpump you would overheat. waterpump failure means no coolant circulation:beer:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Tstats are cheap. I got mine for ~$6 at AutoZone.
Don't take it to the shop, check the DIY here. It's super easy, I did mine in around 15 minutes. I'm not sure about the 1.8, but on the 2.0 the hardest part was getting a socket wrench under the alternator.

·
Registered
44 Posts
DIY Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5187132-*mk4Forum-Essentials*-DIY-FAQ-amp-Resources-Guide

TStat DIY: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1730221
^It's for a 2.0, but it may be similar for a 1.8. Double check that.

Also, Bentley Repair Manual :thumbup:
I read mine daily :D
Thanks for the link, i just replaced my T stat, but after putting everything together and turning on my car, i see a coolant leak.. is it pretty safe to assume its from the T-stat housing?

and do you know how much i have to torque the bolts on the housing? Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for the link, i just replaced my T stat, but after putting everything together and turning on my car, i see a coolant leak.. is it pretty safe to assume its from the T-stat housing?

and do you know how much i have to torque the bolts on the housing? Thanks
I also have a 2001 Golf 1.8T 125k miles on it. Same symptoms. Seems a bunch of folks are having theirs fail this winter. Odd?

Did you get a new O Ring? Make sure it is seated correctly on the outside of the thermostat and compressed by the plastic housing. It is quite common for it to slip down when threading the bolts back on. If you can, start with the bottom bolt first (know it's hard...). This helps to keep the O Ring compressed into its proper place by pressure from the lower bolt. If you start with the top bolt first (which is easier) this leaves space on the lower area for gravity to invite O Ring to fall or slide down. Since you can't see it, you end up screwing the lower bolt while the O Ring is no longer seated properly and a firm seal is not made, eventually leaking.

Most of us just tighten it down, then give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That should be fine. Those 2 metal O Rings on the thermostat plastic housing cover make it pretty hard to over tighten. If anything, you might not have tightened it down hard enough. Remember those 2 screw bolts are meant to compress the cover directly on the plastic O Ring sealant.

Btw, I would pass on the $7 AutoZone part. Some of those aftermarket OEM thermostats don't keep right at 190F all the time. Also, make sure to get the O Ring. My old one was pretty well compressed...

Forgot to mention, it could also be the coolant flange cracked on the driver side of your engine. That crappy plastic piece breaks all the time.... replaced mine a year ago. Though, to have both the thermostat and the coolant flange fail at the same time, would be odd...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.