VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the parts to do this, and wondering how much time I should budget....
It looks like the thermostat is in a small housing that bolts onto the water pump housing.
Can you access this from the bottom of the car without removing anything (ie P/S pump)?
Just remove hoses and good to go?
2nd question, if I'm draining the coolant I might as well do the water pump too, obviously I'd have to disconnect the tensioner, same questions is anything in the way of dropping it out the bottom of the car? Any other gotchas?
Thanks!
Skye

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Re: thermostat + water pump replacement (spoier)

Replacing the water pump is a nightmare and not just one of those "well I might as well while I'm there" type projects, unfortunately. With the help of a friend the job took me something like 12 hours. It will not simply drop out the bottom of the car - you will need to remove all accessories and brackets that go over it (alternator, G-lader, AC compressor) to get it out, and there is very little room for maneuvering. You will also need to remove the timing belt and - in my case anyway - the intermediate shaft gear. Do a few searches in here and have a look at all the nice things people have to say about water pump replacement...

On the other hand, doing just the thermostat is relatively easy, though you will have to swing the PS pump out of the way or disconnect it altogether to get at the plastic elbow in which the thermostat is contained. Also remember there's a bolt "hidden" above the PS pump that you'll need an extension and X-ray vision to get to. Again, a search ought to avail sufficient information on the topic.
Good luck...

· Registered
6,624 Posts
Re: thermostat + water pump replacement (autopimp)

where is the water pump on a g60? vr6s are tough to get to, but not too bad.
16vs are a pain in the but, underneath the ac and alternator brackets.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Re: thermostat + water pump replacement (kevwithoutacorrado)

Quote, originally posted by kevwithoutacorrado »
I could do the 16v in about 2 hours.

Yep. If I were to do it again (please, God, don't make me do it again) it would take considerably less time since I know just what to do now. Part of what took so long was that I thought I could just replace the impeller portion and leave the old housing on there. Wrong! Those housing bolts just break and crumble and stick and...
So replace the whole thing if you're going to do it - don't bother trying to take it apart.

· Registered
7,978 Posts
Re: thermostat + water pump replacement (kevwithoutacorrado)

Quote, originally posted by kevwithoutacorrado »
where is the water pump on a g60? vr6s are tough to get to, but not too bad.
16vs are a pain in the but, underneath the ac and alternator brackets.

Odd, it took me all of 20 minutes to replace the water pump in my VR. Remove front and rear motor mount bolts, remove serp belt tensioner, jack up engine, unbolt water pump, remove, install new one. done.

· Registered
299 Posts
Re: thermostat + water pump replacement (autopimp)

Good advice on replacing the housing as well. You can get a complete assemebly for 45 to 50, and yup it could be a bear. Schedule a weekend just incase, and if you remove the complete assembly I don't think you need to remove the timing belt. But since you have everything else off now would be the perfect time to r&r the timing belt and idler pulley, it will save you work later.

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: thermostat + water pump replacement (Wags)

Thanks!! I'll just do the thermostat for now --- and replace the water pump when I get my non-AC housing & delete the AC stuff & pull charger out for a rebuild & do the timing belt all at the same time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Some things are easier on this car than others I've worked on, some not as easy. I guess they can't all be easy, what fun would that be?
Skye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.