VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the 30K service done on my car. At the time I got one of the fog lights replaced. And after the service they informed me that I needed new erar brakes. What the F??? I only have 29,800+ miles on my car. Anway I wound up paying way to much for all of this, $481. $33 for the fog light, $83 for the 30K service and the rest for the brakes. Was I ripped of or what?! Anyway, the day I had all these repairs I received the recall notice about the wheel liner. I told the service advisor about it and he said I could leave my car another day and they would do the recall. But I couldn't do that because I neede to use my car for work the next day. So he said I could make an appointment for another time and they would give me a loaner car. So I made the appointment for today and got the loaner car to go to work in. Now the service advisor called me at work to tell me my car was done. afte work I go to pick it up and the service advisor says they completed the recall AND gave me a car wash which I don't know why they did that but I didn't mind. When he asked one of the mechanics to get my car and bring it around the front to me, the mechanic couldn't find my car key. As he continued to look he still couldn't find it. Everyone in the shop joined in the search for my car key but it was nowhere to be found. I turned out having to keep the loaner car until tomorrow and I have to bring my spare key over there so they can have a copy made. This sucks! Now I'm stuck with a Toyota echo for another day with no power anything (windows, door locks), it doesn't even have a clock and it's 1/2 the size of my Passat. This is the 2nd time the VW service dept screwed around with my car and stuck me with a miserably uncomfortable loaner car.
And whats the deal with that! I thought a loaner car is supposed be close to the quality of the car you own. and this poses a major security risk. The person who has that "lost" key will be able to drive away with my car whenever they want. I don't trust this dealer service at all. I hope there are noproblems with it when i get it back. I should have never got that recall problem fixed. Youknow the old saying, "If it ain't boke don't fix it". Maybe they won't be able to get me a new key and they'll have to give me a new car!

·
Banned
960 Posts
new brakes @ 30k eh? yeah i say u definitely got taken, live and learn, next time, don't make such a quick decision, you should've just brought it to an independent shop to look at the brakes for u

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (passatchick)

Quote, originally posted by passatchick »
This sucks! Now I'm stuck with a Toyota echo for another day with no power anything (windows, door locks), it doesn't even have a clock and it's 1/2 the size of my Passat. This is the 2nd time the VW service dept screwed around with my car and stuck me with a miserably uncomfortable loaner car.

No doubt they reamed you on the brake job. You probably didn't need it and if you did it could have been done much cheaper at an independent (reliable) shop.
But I wouldn't complain about the loaner. At least it was a loaner. Many folks on this site have been denied loaners for various 'reasons.' Who cares if it didn't have power everything. It got you home and back.
I drove a Toyota Echo with an automatic transmission last week. It was almost as slow as a Honda Insight (is that the right name for the hybrid?). The Honda trudged up the Bisbee eight mile grade at a stunning 40mph, the Echo at 45mph. My TDI Jetta did it in 5th gear, no downshifting, at 85mph.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

If you had an Audi....then you've probably gotten an Audi for a loaner car.
The rear brakes, depending on the driving conditions can go out as soon as 15,000 miles (soft rear pad compound).
Consequently, you'll be needing new rear rotors anyway. About $350 for brakes....pretty expected, roughly $70 per rotor, $45 for pads, and way too much labor time (takes an hour to do both sides for DIY people).
Losing the keys...I wonder if somehow they forgot it in the car.
Looks like their survey isn't going to be good.
Are they picking up the tab for the rental car?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Your not the only person who had a brake job at 30k. Several other Passat drivers and I have also had brakes and rotors at 30k. This is with each of us going to different dealers or independent shops.
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (crows1886)

It's definitely possible you really did need the rear brake job. However, dealer prices are always high. Next time, save yourself some $$ by buying replacement parts elsewhere and either installing them yourself or have a specialty shop do it. It's very rarely a life-or-death situation where you absolutely have to do the repair/replacement right there on the spot. If the dealer put on VW pads, be prepared for them to wear out fast too.
Myself, my rear brakes wore out at 22,000 miles. The dealership was doing my state inspection during the 20k mile service and failed the car over the brakes. I bought a set of Mintex Red Box pads for $35 which includes 4 pads, enough for both rear wheels. I had Midas do the install ($50) due to my current lack of jack stands. It took 4 business days for the pads to come to my door (from http://www.parts4vws.com) and about 30 minutes over at Midas.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts

Quote, originally posted by passatchick »
...the rest for the brakes. Was I ripped of or what?!

Not necessarily. If you do some decent amount of city driving, your brakes can indeed go at 30K or much sooner. Hondas tend to need frequent brake replacements as well. You probably paid somewhat more than other shops would have charged, but don't think about it anymore, just remember it next time. Also, you can always ask the mechanic to show you how much thickness is left on your pads. You can even ask for the old pads.
Keep us posted about the key situation though. If you gave them a key fob, make sure you don't just get a plain key as a replacement, and test all the functions of the remote before driving off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (av_audi)

Just be thankful your breaks last 30k miles. My last car was toyota landcruiser. Breaks lasted about a year (12-15k) and were well over 600 to replace.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (av_audi)

Quote, originally posted by av_audi »

If you gave them a key fob, make sure you don't just get a plain key as a replacement, and test all the functions of the remote before driving off.
... and also make sure to start the car with the replacement key to check whether they programmed the immobilizer correctly.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (DCdave)

Quote, originally posted by DCdave »
... and also make sure to start the car with the replacement key to check whether they programmed the immobilizer correctly.

True, otherwise the car will start and just shut off. So what dealer did you go to??? In in NY as well so I am quite curious - and I had a similar experience with my Girlfriend's Jetta. It took them a half hour to find the keys.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (RL331)

Devils Advocate here: 30,000 is 1.2 times around the planet.... You got plenty of use out of those brakes. Yes,you could have gotten them done cheaper elsewhere. I'm sorry for what happened (lost keys,etc). Since I am a service advisor I can comment from both sides of the counter. Unfortunately these things happen. It's a part of doing business. Keys get lost,cars get dented,scratched,etc. If they're "stand-up" they'll make it up to you....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (VWGUY4EVER)

OK, Devil .. "30,000 is 1.2 times the planet.." But you only use the brakes for stopping.. not driving which is where the miles rack up. So you could have a total of 200 feet of brake use going around the equator 1.2 times. Last time I checked, however, the equator was not paved.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I know a lot of people have had to get new rear brakes with these cars but I'm more bothered about the price. I think I was ripped off. Or rather, I LET THEM rip me off. I'll be more careful the next time. And I agree with you that these things can happen as part of doing business. But when they happen so many times to the same person that indicates the quality of their workmanship. I really think they've got problems. Just to give a summary of the problem I had with their work:
1. I wanted my windshield wiper inserts replaced. The first time they replaced them they came off during rain the next day and scratched the windshield. They replaced them again. Again the came off and scratched the windshield. They finally had to replace the entire blades and windshield and I was stuck with a loaner car for 2 days because they first ordered the wrong windshield and had to re-order a new one overnight to put in my car.
2. I had water coming into the car during car washing after they replaced the pollen filter. They didn't replace the seal around the filter correctly. I had a loaner car for 1 day.
3. They lose my key when doing the recall work. I had a loaner car for 2 days which would have been 1 day had they not lost the key.
I'm usually pretty reasonable about the work these car service places do. But too many things have happened to me at this one and I've dealt with a lot of differnt places with different cars. I believe they are kind of careless with how they do things and I'm looking for another place where I can take my car now. Also, this time when I got the loaner car there were 4 other people there getting a loaner car. Unbelievable. I think that's part of the reason why their prices are so high. Who's paying for all of that?!
Anyway just to answer some other people's questions:
- They paid for the loaner.
- Linden Dodge/Volkswagen's service dept is where the work was done.
- They called me at work the next day to say one of the mechanics had left the key in his toolbox.

Sorry but when I don't trust you to do good work anymore, I can't do busines with you. Bottomline.
Anyway. Have Happy 4th of July all.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Re: (supertle)

Quote, originally posted by supertle »
new brakes @ 30k eh? yeah i say u definitely got taken, live and learn, next time, don't make such a quick decision, you should've just brought it to an independent shop to look at the brakes for u

Not true. I just had my rears done at 24 months and 22K, by an independent shop.
As another poster said, several Passat owners are having to replace rear brakes at 20K or so.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VWGUY4EVER »
Keys get lost,cars get dented,scratched,etc. If they're "stand-up" they'll make it up to you....

Hmmm... You know, I've heard stories of keys getting "lost" because the customers car was at a body shop getting fixed for something the dealer did to it....

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: They lost the key!!! (Triumph)

Quote, originally posted by Triumph »

Hmmm... You know, I've heard stories of keys getting "lost" because the customers car was at a body shop getting fixed for something the dealer did to it....

I'm sure it does happen but not at our dealership. We damage report every vehicle before it leaves the drop off area to be parked in the yard. All who work there,from techs to car jockeys are encouraged to fess up if they damaged a car. If it was an honest mistake, an "accident" and not foolishness or wrecklesssness there will be no reprocussions. If and when we do damage a customer's car, we flat put tell then and show them what happened before we have our body shop repair it. Telling you about it and making it right is soooo much easier than trying to hide it and face the reprocussions later....

·
Registered
880 Posts

Considering that you had the work done at a dealer, you really didn't do too badly. You walked out of there with several things done for under $500. Consider yourself lucky, comparatively speaking (compared to e.g. one lower control arm replaced for $869!...luckily my extended warranty people got stuck with that bill...)
The rear brake pads on this car have the same contact area, in fact, they are more or less the same pads, as were used on the 1st gen Jetta (circa 1983), the '85 Scirocco, and a number of other significantly lighter cars.
As a result, IMHO I bet the pads have to work much harder and therefore wear out faster, often before the front pads, which is really unusual....
It also depends on the braking you do. In NYC, you are doing more aggressive braking more often. I have mostly highway miles and a manual transmission, so my brakes lasted to 66K and wore more or less evenly front to back. The fronts were metal-to-metal, and the rears were almost there.
I purchased 'stock' ATE front disks, Zimmermann rear disks, and Mintex Red Box pads from http://www.germanautoparts.com. The total part cost was $249. I have since found out I could have done slightly better, maybe $213. A local service station charged me $206 to install after estimating $150. So total was $455. I might have been able to do about $100 better, but I don't feel too bad about it.
A lot of people say the brakes are easy to do yourself. You can save even more that way, sure. The flimsy factory jack almost collapsed on me, and after that experience I personally can't imagine wrestling with the car even with more robust jacks/jack stands, so $200 installation seems pretty fair to me.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

passatchick: If you have the ability to go to another shop, do that. Sounds like your dealer is <beep>.
There are plenty of dubbers in NY/NJ, get in touch with them, do some get togethers (GTG), and throw a BBQ, and have them help you with the brakes install.
SA/Austin Passateers did this and got 2 cars brakes done, then 1 car later that same month. We did this again to do a turbo boost gauge.
BTW, we had 4 two ton jacks. Don't even attempt to do anything "serious" with that VW jack. I have done my tire rotations for 5 yrs with it without collapsing, so that isn't a problem. I just would not attempt a brake job with it.

Modified by pipes at 9:13 AM 7-7-2003

1 - 20 of 21 Posts