VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the double post.... After thinking it over I thought this title would get a response. I'm going to look at a MKII diesel today that has been sitting not running for 3 years. The guy who has it doesn't seem to know anything about diesels. He only wants 500 so if to me it seems like a simple problem then I'll buy it. I've kinda come up with a tentative plan based on the things I've determined from working on my own cars.
1. turn over engine by hand to ensure that the engine has free play and there arn't any grinding (expensive noises.)
2. check timing belt to ensure that it will handle a start-up
3. remove fuel cut off switch plunger to make sure that when I do turn it over it will run
4. Use an auxillery tank for fuel. to shorten length that fuel has to travel to the pump
5. Turn over and hope that it starts.
can anyone think of some other tests I can preform, or things that I should while there. If it doesn't start what are some symptoms of things that might be wrong with it. Is there a quick way to check compression without a tester. I'll be looking at it 7pm PT so any help before then would be great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Things to check when looking at a not running MKII diesel. (Camero6989)

I would drain the fuel filter and fill with fresh fuel (if you are going to use your auxiliary tank with the current fuel filter)
If it doesn't start, it could possibly be the glowplugs. You could then short the battery to the glowplug copper bus strip for about 10 seconds and see if that will bring it to life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts