VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this pathetic looking '89 GLI W.E. about a month ago. I thought I had a dead lifter until I pulled the intake manifold.

Yes, it's a 10mm craftsman socket. Fortunately it was resting against the valve guide so no damage was done. Just thought you all might get a kick out of this.
What's even more scary is the entire car kinda feels like this.

· Registered
4,558 Posts
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (AtariMasta)

damn that's crazy but you gotta admit those Craftsman tools do hold up pretty well under high stress conditions hence the life time warranty

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (Ted)

Quote, originally posted by Ted »
damn that's crazy but you gotta admit those Craftsman tools do hold up pretty well under high stress conditions hence the life time warranty

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (GLI_driver_found)

You're right, it does beat finding your rings in the oil pick up, but ya know what's worse. Seeing gear bits falling from the tranny case amidst a metallic slurry and after it's empty peeking up through the drain hole only to realize the Ring gear has about 5 teeth that are approx. 50% gone and realizing all of the other teeth are nicked too. - this was me yesterday (same car) Yes, it's a turd, but it's my turd.

Modified by 89GLI16V at 12:48 AM 7-14-2003

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (CHETVW007)

Excellent question, I wouldn't mind knowing the answer myself. The previous owner has left all sorts of interesting Easter Eggs for me through out this car. Lots of "SPARE" nuts and bolts. Lots of missing nuts and bolts. Several stacks of washers to take up slack in bolts. I think to date my most favorite is the lamp cord that was run from the marker lamp on the drivers side to the marker lamp on the pass. side because the G/R wire had broken at the joint under the airbox. The !5" and 12" subs that were in the trunk were sort of interesting as well.

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (CrackerX)

The car was hangin on by it's toe nails when I rescued it. This weekend should find a Cup kit full Poly bushings, a new cam/cam chain and various other engine bits rehabbed. Then I'll start planning for a "full" Stainless TT exhaust system from the exhaust mani. back. After that I'll gather the bits to put the tranny back to servicable condition. All the while wet sanding and buffing the gravel pit paintjob. Yeah!
Most people say I'm crazy..... I'm beginning to agree. I'll post a link in the A2 forum for web diary for this car once I get it started. Here's a pic of the day I brought it home.

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (glibobbo21)

Yes, it is a Helios Blue 89 Jetta GLI Wolfsburg Edition. Helios is actually only the color used. Becuase if what it was is the only reason why I bought it in the first place. Had it been any other GLI I'd have left it for dead considering the malidies and their severity. I'll post some more pics once I stop being lazy. I'll also post pics as the goodies start to roll in. Actually, some should be here in a few hours.

· Registered
2,910 Posts
Re: Think I should give it back to previous owner? (89GLI16V)

this car almost sounds like a slot machine......everytime you turn a wrench, you have no idea what prize may come out......
let us know what happens when you come up with a three of a kind...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.