VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title states, im gonna try to see if i can pull that off. im not sure what kind of wiring im gonna have to do, im just gonna see if i can hook a bulb up back there(cuz i dont think there are any) and run a jumper from my brake light.....

anyone ever try anything like this before... so youd have a double wide brake light on the rear end????

Modified by APURPLEKING at 9:38 AM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
801 Posts
Re: (vwabbitman)

Quote, originally posted by vwabbitman »
Its been done before on a Jetta. SEARCH. I have been trying to find how to do it on a Golf but I dont think anyone has done it on a Golf.

x2. 4 brake lights or Jetta rear fog..
And what did you have in mind for a Golf? All 3 sockets are used stock.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Re: (SanchezGTI)

Quote, originally posted by SanchezGTI »

I dont like the fact that ther is one small square for a brake light on each side. I am wanting to have all three light up bright with the brakes and still have the outer two be 'dim' for the taillights.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SanchezGTI »

I'm doing 4 TAIL lights... I'll see how it looks.. may change it to 4 brake lights if not happy with it.....

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Re: (Underpants)

Quote, originally posted by Underpants »
so swap wires

It cant be that easy. AFAIK i need dual filament bulbs for the outer two so they can still be taillights. I think i am gonna pull the bulb holders and have a looksee to see what I need to do.
I think if its possible I am gonna make it so the outer two are tail lights and all three are brake lights.

·
Registered
801 Posts

It cant be that easy. AFAIK i need dual filament bulbs for the outer two so they can still be taillights. I think i am gonna pull the bulb holders and have a looksee to see what I need to do.

I'm looking for the motivation to do something similar. I have a feeling it's going to involve scrapping the bulb tray and using soft rubber bulb holders and just stuffing them into the lamps.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

Ok.. Im not getting it... you want to do the outers as just tails and the inners as brakes?
To light the inners as TAILS you only need to tap the outer TAIL circuit and run a wire to the inner sockets.. need a 5W bulb...
To run them as brake lights, same wire, different circuit to tap onto... and need a 21W bulb IIRC....

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Re: (ReRa1)

Quote, originally posted by ReRa1 »
Ok.. Im not getting it... you want to do the outers as just tails and the inners as brakes?
To light the inners as TAILS you only need to tap the outer TAIL circuit and run a wire to the inner sockets.. need a 5W bulb...
To run them as brake lights, same wire, different circuit to tap onto... and need a 21W bulb IIRC....

No. I want to have the ones that are tails now to stay tails but have all three light up brighter when i press on the brake. basically outer two tails and all three brakes. Only difference from now would be that the tails would get brighter when i press on the brakes.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

so i just went out and gave this mod a shot... and i drilled the holes put in the bulbs and nothing.... i did notice that only the drivers side was fully wired(had a plug on the left and the right of circuit board). the passenger side only had one side wired in.... idk if this has anything to do with why its not working, but maybe...
do i need a euro switch for this???

i tried making sure they werent parking lights....

they just do nothing.... kinda bummed cuz i want it to work

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

No. I want to have the ones that are tails now to stay tails but have all three light up brighter when i press on the brake. basically outer two tails and all three brakes. Only difference from now would be that the tails would get brighter when i press on the brakes.

Woops... my bad.. what I described only applies to a Jetta...

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

im not going for rear fogs... im going for two sets of rear brake lights....
i want it so that when i step on the brakes the brake lights go off and so do the trunk lid "rear fog" lights go off too(but as brake lights)

"know what i mean vern???"

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Re: (APURPLEKING)

Quote, originally posted by APURPLEKING »
im not going for rear fogs... im going for two sets of rear brake lights....
i want it so that when i step on the brakes the brake lights go off and so do the trunk lid "rear fog" lights go off too(but as brake lights)

"know what i mean vern???"

For that, you'll probably have to use a new bulb holder plate... the one that is behind the inner lights doesnt "support" multi-purpose bulbs... it only has one set of connectors...
Some riggin right there... Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Unless you drill a little hole for an LED or something with low wattage, and then tap on the brake circuit and power the regular socket...

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

well know doesnt that just suck.... so basically all i can do with that "stock" circuit board is run rear fogs???

and if thats the case i guess ill have to get creative and make some **** work

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Re: (APURPLEKING)

Quote, originally posted by APURPLEKING »
well know doesnt that just suck.... so basically all i can do with that "stock" circuit board is run rear fogs???

and if thats the case i guess ill have to get creative and make some **** work

either FOGS, TAILS or BRAKEs ONLY...
unless you do the cut I told you about... I dont see any other way to have 2 circuits in there...

·
Registered
748 Posts

I've done a similar mod where I have the inners as running lights. You can use the same principle to make them brake lights. You will have to tap into the brake light power from one of the corners and run it to the trunk lid.
Here is a picture of the Jetta in it's old state

And after the mod

Originally I was going to run power from my rear corner day running lights but after taking a look at the trunk lid and it's guts after taking off the felt, I found that I could use the power from the licence plate so I wouldn't have to route any wiring outside of the car.
Here is what you need.
5 ft of wiring 16 gauge
2 - 2057 bulbs
soldering iron/torch
drill/dremel
razor knife
electrician's tape
2 small crimp ends
First things first. Remove the bulb holder.

The hole where the bulb should go is blocked off by an OEM plastic plug. I drilled it out with a drill bit and then cut away at it with a razor blade but you can use a dremmel or whatever you think might work.
I then connected the wiring. I took a small crimp end that would connect to the bulb housing and attached a piece of wire to it. Unfortunately it didn't quite fit in the connector so I had to drill it out.

Sorry for the bluriness
After reinserting the connector, I pushed the crimp end through the hole I just drilled until it was seated on the pin securely.

Repeat on the other side.
Upon inspection of the licence plate power, I found that unplugging the connector and testing for power, that the greenish wire (on my car at least) was power before the licence plate bulb. I then tapped into it by stripping away the insulation and soldering the two wires from the new installation to the wire from the licence plate power.
Now upon completing this I tried a single filliment 1156 bulb mainly used for back up lighting and blinkers but damn that was way too bright. I wanted the same wattage output as the rear corners so I had to do some thinking. I took a look at the bulbs in the corners which were a 2057 double fillament. I only wanted the one fillament to light up but the contacts on the bottom of the bulb were side by side.

So to fix that I took the contact that was on the bulb housing and twisted it to one side so that it would only touch one of the contacts on the light bulb. The bulb also has a different configuration of tabs on the sides so I had to file down the one that is higher up on the bulb. Now all you have to do is try and see if you have the right contact touching. When testing your new install, if you find that your light is a lot brighter than your corners then the bulb is the wrong way around. Rotate it 180 degrees and try again. It should be in the right orientation now (finger's crossed).
I guess I could have got a bunch of bulbs with different wattages but I really didn't want to spend that much time/money/hastle returning things that were open etc. I knew what output I wanted so I didn't waste time. I think the double fillament bulbs were about $1.50 more so I think it's money well spent. If someone has the availability of bulbs, I would love to know which one is the right wattage/number. Please post up your results!!!!
Before buttoning everything up, make sure that all your lights work and you're ready to go. If you have any questions or if I have missed something, by all means post them up or pm me. Hope that helps.
Doug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts