VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to an Acura dealer to look at a MY04 RSX Type S. I found it to be a lot more affordable than I thought. With $4500 down (what I think I can sell my Golf for) it is only about $350 CAD / month on a 48 month lease.
What other cars should I be looking for in this price range, with about the same performance / features. Also any RSX guru's out there, what should I know about the RSX before I dive in? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bye Bye Golf

Hello RSX

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
From what I remember, insurance on these can be high, so you might want to check that out.
Other than that, I've heard no problems.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I don't believe so. It was introduced as a 2002MY car, wasn't it? That means it wouldn't be due for an overhaul until at least 2006.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Re: Thinking about RSX Type S (GRNWNV)

A Mini Cooper S without sunroof and metallic paint is in the similar price range, and much more fun to drive. Much better steering, better suspension and HID headlights. But before you go any further you need to check the insurance rate on the RSX. It will be higher than average, guaranteed.
Another candidate would be the Mazda3 with the 160hp engine. Yes I know they are 40hp down from the RSX-S, but the Cooper S and Mazda3 have more torque and are pretty close to the RSX-S in 0-60 times. The RSX is due for a minor facelift in a few months I believe, so there will be lots of deals to choose from.

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts

It's not usually advisable to put money down on a lease.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: Thinking about RSX Type S (climacus)

Integras usually last much longer than 2 or 3 years before style changes.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts

Quote, originally posted by climacus »
A Mini Cooper S without sunroof and metallic paint is in the similar price range, and much more fun to drive. Much better steering, better suspension and HID headlights. But before you go any further you need to check the insurance rate on the RSX. It will be higher than average, guaranteed.
Another candidate would be the Mazda3 with the 160hp engine. Yes I know they are 40hp down from the RSX-S, but the Cooper S and Mazda3 have more torque and are pretty close to the RSX-S in 0-60 times. The RSX is due for a minor facelift in a few months I believe, so there will be lots of deals to choose from.

in what world are they "pretty close"? When C&D first tested the RSX, they got 6.1 seconds....and estimated about 6.7. Mini Cooper is about 7 seconds and the Mazda in about 7.4. seems to be a decent divide there...but, they're just mag numbers anyway.

·
Registered
10,076 Posts

If you were in the states I could get you the lease info.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: (All_Texan)

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't get the RSX because there are better cars to be had that is a little over that price range.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts

Quote, originally posted by climacus »

Yes I know they are 40hp down from the RSX-S, but the Cooper S and Mazda3 have more torque and are pretty close to the RSX-S in 0-60 times.

According to Car and Driver:
RSX-S: 6.1 sec.
Mazda 3 (2.3L/5-spd): 7.4 sec.
I'm a big fan of the Mazda 3, but the RSX-S is clearly the faster vehicle here.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't get the RSX because there are better cars to be had that is a little over that price range.

That was one of my questions. Care to elaborate as to what would be a better buy? I have looked at Mini's, I like them but too much $$ for the size and I cannot live without a sunroof.
As far as putting money down on a lease I know it is a bad idea, but that is the only way I can afford the cars that I want. I know in four years I will be making the money to lease some nicer cars anyways, so I am not to concerned with that.
Thanks for all the replies so far

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Re: Thinking about RSX Type S (Prelusion98)

Quote, originally posted by Prelusion98 »
According to Car and Driver:
RSX-S: 6.1 sec.
Mazda 3 (2.3L/5-spd): 7.4 sec.

Any RSX head here knows what is the generally accepted 0-60 number? I did a google search and the 0-60 figures have been quoted anywhere from 6.3-7.5 seconds. Lots of discrepencies between the different mags there. I've always assumed that it was around 6.7-6.8s car.

·
Banned
9,572 Posts

I would put 4500$ down on a purchase only.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

Buy one that's two years old. They are incredibly reliable and
you'll save a bundle for essentially the same car (find something
with low miles).

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Thinking about RSX Type S (vertigo)

Quote, originally posted by vertigo »
Buy one that's two years old. They are incredibly reliable and
you'll save a bundle for essentially the same car (find something
with low miles).

I was thinking of buying used but my payments would be higher than a lease, and unfortunately I am strictly shopping based on payments right now. If I were to buy used I would look at an E36 M, and drop some cash into it.
However I have never owned a new car before, and would really like a car with a warranty and not have to worry about all the hassles of having to fix my car over and over again.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GRNWNV »

I was thinking of buying used but my payments would be higher than a lease, and unfortunately I am strictly shopping based on payments right now. If I were to buy used I would look at an E36 M, and drop some cash into it.
However I have never owned a new car before, and would really like a car with a warranty and not have to worry about all the hassles of having to fix my car over and over again.

What are the tax implications? Do taxes apply to used cars where
you are? How does insurance change with the age of the car?
You might find that a five year loan on a lightly used car (still
under warranty) ends up being the same price as a 3 year lease
on a monthly basis owing to tax and insurance differences.
I think they're great cars, so you can't really go wrong.
You should also look into cars with subsidized leases though.
Mercedes has some killer deals in Canada (I was consulting
in Calgary for a while) and you might get into an MB in classic
trim for the same price. Likewise check out Saab.

·
Banned
909 Posts
Random thoughts to several previous posts:
1. The Mini Cooper will be more fun, but reliability? I don't know...
2. The Type S might be more fun than the Mazda 2.3L, but in a daily driving situation (stop and go) it may be less fun because the torque is high up in the power band. Also, the Type S motor takes premium unlike the Mazda.
3. Take a look at the '03 Ford Focus ZX3/ZX5. If you can still find them, they come with a limited run of the 2.3's and can probably get them much cheaper than a Mazda 3.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts