VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 A4 Q. Bone stock everything, one owner blah blah. Figured it'd be a great start to a project. I've read a few stroker projects on here that have been very helpfull.

1) Daily driven
2) Want car to handle well

-Looking for some recommendations, trying to see what you guys used and are happy with.
A) Internals?
B) Top End?
C) Hardware?
D) Exhaust?
E) Intake?
F) Cooling/Oiling?
G) Suspension?
H) Tires?
I) Turbo(s)???

-Thank You For Your Opinions.

·
Registered
545 Posts
As someone who is finishing up a 2.0 build, figure out your budget first. Then what your power goals are. You may not even need to go 2.0L. Boring and stroking the block adds a significant amount of money to the build. Head work isn't cheap either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotating Assemblies?

- Do you know a good company that sells complete short block rotating assemblies?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you,
also wondering if there are any big differences between atw and atb engines? im new to VW so take it easy on me lol. I am very interested in these cars though. Amazing how well they are built to stand so much power on stock internals.

Back to your first post;
i am looking for a fun daily, 3-350 horse DD maybe a lil more when the boost is up. im thinking i can get that without boring an stroking it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Does not take much for 350whp. Forged connecting rods and a GT3071R will suffice. Upping displacement has to do more with the powerband (earlier spool). For what you are looking for, I would really save the money and opt for forged connecting rods and a built AEB cylinder head. Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So connecting rods are a weak part in these motors?
AEB have larger ports? so would it matter if i were jus working my head anyway if i have a ATW?

·
Registered
746 Posts
The entire block can see 500chp before actually giving an indication of there being an issue, IF you add only forged connecting rods. These block are rather strong (and transmissions with the manual gearbox), but the connecting rods are the weak point. I would not push the engine more than 375-400chp on stock rods.

As for the cylinder head, the AEB head has larger intake and exhaust ports. It won't really make a difference though unless you have a turbocharger that flows enough air to make a substantial difference. If you want to build a small port head, you can swap the moving parts to an AEB cylinder head later on. But it would be more cost effecient to build an AEB head from the start, or to buy one used that is already built (they usually go for $1000+, depending what was done to it. and stock ones usually go for $350+).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts