VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im from minneapolis thinking of moving to LA. Coming to La May 27 to the 30. What should I check out? How is the dub seen out there?
Nightlife?
Just wondering.Thanx

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (CorradoKng)

Here in L.A. it's overcrowded, polluted, and generally overrated. A lot of people come for jobs, but they don't realize that with the extra money comes a much higher cost of living. Traffic is insane, most freeways are jammed or at least heavily congested during the day, even on weekends. Nightlife is NOTHING like Europe or even New York. Clubs and bars generally close at 2AM becasue of the alcohol curfew.
Perhaps the only really nice thing is the weather, even then it can get unlpleasantly hot at times. The Volkswagen enthusiast scene is pretty sizeable, with lots of get togethers and a fair amount of track day participation. Everyone of the people in this forum that I've met so far are pretty cool.
As far as what to see, you could do the typical tourist stuff - Disneyland, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Hollywood Blvd/ Sunset Strip, Venice Beach and such. We also have some decent museums if you are into art or science.
Have a nice stay here. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
he pretty much summed up what I didnt feel like typing out.If it werent for such great friends keeping me in los angeles,I would move to oregon in a heart beat with my mommy.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Hey Bro, I grew up in MN went to art school @ MCAD. I came here in 91 to work in the film industry. I make very good money, and have been doing really good for 8+ years. I have lived here for about 13 years.
Having a unique perspective on your situation, I don't reccommend moving here for ANY reason unless you ALREADY have a job lined up. Rents are very high. Gas is very high. Insurance is very high and very corrupt compared to MN, and right now I'm looking into buying a house and it is very depressing. My wife and I have good income, zero debt, and a decent down ready to go, but it's nearly impossible to find anything that is not a tiny ghetto POS in our price range which is 450-550,000. It takes me about 45 mins to get to work (one way) and that's to go about 14 miles...........
Come visit, see for yourself. Hop on the 405 ot the 10 fwy anytime between 7AM and 8PM and see what we mean. It aint all Disneyland bro. It sucks pretty bad here sometimes. If you don't have a job lined up before you come here you are crazy.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
why not move here is the question you should ask yourself. if you have access to a stable job i suggest you move here. if you move here expecting to get a job you might have some hard times ahead because its expensive to live here. but if i was in your position and had a job lined up i would move here in an instant.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (90CQ20v)

already been offered a job. Decent money nothing extravagent. I haven`t been to LA in about 10 years I loved it when I was there last time but I was alot younger. I already drive 45 - hour to work so thats not a big deal. I absouletly hate the freezing cold weather for more than a month, and the only reason I like it that long is for snowmobiling. So cali definetly has the climate that I like.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: (bacek)

Get ready for some culture and economic shocks. One of my coworkers moved here from Texas. He compalined that everything was more then twice he paid in Texas. Except for houses that was 4X as much. Bitched about everthing from groceries to car insurance to electricty. But he did love the weather and women's fashions in summer time not to mention the women!

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Re: (gedster314)

Hey have you thought about Orange County??? I have lived here for all of my life 22 years, I love it but hate it too. I plane to move to WA just because I'm am bored now, but there are a lot of things to do around here. The best part of the OC is that you are right in the middle of San Diego and LA, you can go to the beach in under 30 mins or the mountains in under 2 hours. It can be pricey in many areas but some are reasonable, but that means you might be living a tad further inland......were it's nice and toasty
You might want to come out for a week just to check it all out, oh boy but one thing you'll love are the great drivers I bet you will.

Oh yeah and you can roll with the Southern California Corrado Group SCCG.

Modified by 1967ghia at 1:19 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
139 Posts

Hey dude, I have lived in seven cities across this country. It all depends on your likes and dislikes.
I actually like living in so-cal.
Any authentic food you can shake a stick at.
Exposure to any type of culture, demographic, niche, sport, etc.
Mountains to beach recreation
Car lovers and shows everywhere
The eye candy is good (wink wink)
O.C. rated #1 for education
More than just a few VW shops.
Weather (do I need to elaborate)
Basically any thing you can think can be done here.
Put it this way, if you judge your life by the size of your yard. If its fun to winterize everything (house, car, clothes). If you only like Americanized chain restaurants. If variety is something that scares you. Well, then stay there.
Traffic is bad and costs are high. If you live near work you don't deal with that. And no matter where you live you will be close to everything you need including the fun stuff.
All these others guys should try to live in Oklahomo. No traffic there cheap gas and houses.(mmmm now that's happiness) if you are reaping the benefits of Cali, you won't miss the extra space or room in your house.
Finally, one piece of advice, don't move a thousand plus miles all the way to California, only to be more than thirty minutes from the beach.
(Major waa...waa)

Modified by gmanalo at 4:06 PM 5-21-2004

Modified by gmanalo at 4:08 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (gmanalo)

well if you already got a job here its all good. we could use another VRT C in socal

·
Registered
479 Posts

Tarmac f'n nailed it.
If you want a change in weather, check out San Diego rather than LA.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (Lockjawsh)

LA is a place that people either passionately love or deeply hate.
I moved here from OR 3 years ago, right when I started college, and haven't looked back since. I've always been a Cali boy at heart tho (used to come down at least once a year). The traffic blows, the pollution sucks, the inflation is rediculous, and alot of those barbie dolls everyone talks about are fake or shallow as the movie Clueless.
But for me, it's hard for me to consider living anywhere else. I got tired of all the rain in OR, it hardly ever rains here (my friends were pissed cuz it took over 2 motnhs after I moved down here for the daily high to be below 80, and they were getting rain for most of that time). I'm very involved in the Import community, and SoCal is definately the center for it all. Plus i'm becoming more and more liberal, and California is definately as liberal as it gets. I'm also a big fan of diversity and different opportunities, and California definately has plenty of both. I know that I will never run out of things to do here.
California is a huge lifestyle change. But if you think you can hang with it, then go for it. Just know what you're getting into first (i might suggest buying a plane ticket, come over here, and hang out for a week or two. Check out the job, look for places to live, etc. If you like it, you can lock down the job and place to live. If you don't, the investment in the trip would be worth moving out here and not enjoying it)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (HockeyDork)

If you got a job lined up already then I say go for it. I agree with all the positives mentioned, and I for one wouldn't move to OK just to get a cheap house. But I do think it's worth pointing out all the negatives, because nearly everyone always glosses over that. Certianly the media does. Yeah fine women, great diversity, ethnicities, variety. It's all good. Snowboarding here is beyond what the midwest could even hope to pretend. But definitely work out a budget, and see if you will be happy with the cash left over when you find rental somewhere. Just trying to give you the straight word. Otherwise you can watch Access Hollywood and think you know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (90CQ20v)

I am actually flying out this thursday, with a couple of friends to check it out. What does an average house run to rent there? Is the actual cost of living that much higher than minneapolis. I pay aroun 1500$ a month for a 2bedroom house. I understand gas is a little more. We are paying between 2.05 - 2.30 a gallon right now!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CorradoKng »
I am actually flying out this thursday, with a couple of friends to check it out. What does an average house run to rent there? Is the actual cost of living that much higher than minneapolis. I pay aroun 1500$ a month for a 2bedroom house. I understand gas is a little more. We are paying between 2.05 - 2.30 a gallon right now!

i live in west LA, near ucla and offices. for $1500, u can get a newer 1 bedroom apt
or for $1450 an old ****ty 2 bedroom apt facing an alley with a chinese restaurant, right above a dumpster (that's my apt
)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (billgti)

Quote, originally posted by billgti »

i live in west LA, near ucla and offices. for $1500, u can get a newer 1 bedroom apt
or for $1450 an old ****ty 2 bedroom apt facing an alley with a chinese restaurant, right above a dumpster (that's my apt
)

That's about right. For a house in a crappy neighboorhood, expect to pay at least $2,000 a month.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (TarmacSpecial)

Dude,
Check you L.A. Times. Your L.A. Weekly
Houses for rent 2bdr can run your rate @ 1500 with a garage in north Redondo or south El Segundo. If your near O.C. you can rent a similar House near the ocean for that amount (1/2 mile or so)
Gas is 10-20 cents higher than MN
L.A. is big where you at?

Modified by gmanalo at 11:13 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (gmanalo)

I live downtown minneapolis, minnesota right now. So its not that small of a town. Definetly no LA. But alright size. How long of a commute would I be looking at this weekend. To go from LA to San Diego. I hear traffic is crazy around holidays.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

this weekend depends, but I say Downtown LA to Downtown SD would prolly take 2.5 hours in med. traffic.
I just depends when and where you hit traffic

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Re: Thinking of moving to LA (BatiGol)

Theres TONS of cool nightlife in LA. you just need to know about whats going on. There are also lots of really rad places to eat and check out, but again, whenever theres MASSES OF CRAP all around, theres a always hidden gems. LA, has LOTS of them. Just takes the right people, and time to find them. My G/F just moved here 6 mos ago from San Francisco and is still acclimating to it. she loves the city up there and alot fo the people, but LA is SOOOOO much bigger its reallyhard to compare. SInce LA is so big there becomes more CRAP to filter out and more cool places to check out. OC (Orange County-Just south of LA) in my opinion is too far from everything. its just a HUGE GAPING suburban HOLE. but thats just my opinion. lol. I love Hollywood and surrounding areas. The San Fernando Valley is cool too, but has basically ZERO nightlife. The Traffic here SUCKS, yes, the smog is icky SOMETIMES, but its really mostly beautiful days with warm or cool nights. Everything is 20 mins away from everything else here if you dont catch any traffic, and freeways are pretty damn good unless theres traffic. As for recreation, here you can go skiing on an AWESOME mountian and go to the beach in the same day, and then head home for a nice BBQ with beautiful sunny weather.
I gotta go to sleep. Good luck moving here. I love it.

Oh, someone mentioned NYC... I love it there too, but If I lived there, I'd live in Manhattan, and there, its basically stupid to own a car.. and I would SERIOUSLY miss my car. Hmmmm Tough call.

Modified by Dark Cipher at 3:45 AM 5-30-2004

1 - 20 of 29 Posts