VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I posted this a couple months back, but I still haven't checked it out.
My third brake light, (the center one in the back window), stays on constantly @ night. When I brake, it still flashes, not full power, but it's not supposed to stay on. Vehicles behind me probably think I'm brakin' all the thime.

Anyway, anybody got any suggestions for a fix? Relay? I don't want to take it into the dealership unless I have too, figured somebody might help me out...
Thanks in Advance.
CS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Third Brake Light problem (CS VW)

I am having the same problem, except that all three brake lights light up, and remain lit, whenever I turn on my headlights. When the headlights are off, the brake lights behave normally.
Possibly related, I just had my car serviced about two weeks ago, including replacing all of the brake pads and the front rotors.
I'm currently on a road trip, so I likely will not be able to visit a VW dealer to have this problem fixed. Are there any things that I can check to determine the cause of this problem?
Thanks for any assistance that anybody can provide.
Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Third Brake Light problem (sgraff)

sgraff,
It's something wrong with one of your bulbs, I think. I finally got mine fixed when I found out that I had the wrong tailight bulb (should be #7528) in my right tailight.
I put the right one in, and presto, the third light went out.

Did you recently change ANY of your tailight or turning signal bulbs? Check there first.
Hope This Helps...
CS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Third Brake Light problem (CS VW)

The problem was the bulbs - the dealer put in single filament bulbs instead of the required double filament ones during my recent service visit. Once I replaced the bulbs everything now works fine.
What made this even more difficult to figure out is that the owners manual makes no mention of the need to use a double filament bulb - it only gives volt and watt requirements. Worse still, the bulb selection computer at Pep Boys recommends the wrong bulb!
Only after searching the ClubB5 forums did I come across a reference to the double filament bulb requirement.
The correct brake light bulbs (double filament) at #1157
Thanks for the help - it helped to put me on the right track to figure this whole mess out.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Third Brake Light problem (sgraff)

sgraff,
That's cool you got it fixed. Double filament-- one filament is for the light that is dim at night, the other filament is for the actual brake light fully activated.
I just thought it as a cool that the Passat is that smart to tell you somethin' is wrong with the car.

CS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.