VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Schumos 84 5-door goes ABF 16V

After I got involved in an accident with my marsred MK2, I knew that I needed another MK2. Initially I wanted another Marsred, but there were no reasonable priced cars on the market. Ice Blue and Light Blue were sadly never an option on the European market, so the hunt continued. But I made a find.

Built in 1984 as an alpine white 5-door in CL-trim, no extras beside the Alpha radio. A year later the back-then 19-year previous owner bought it as her first car, and kept it mostly on the Island Borkum.

The interior is still pretty neat, the seats need some good cleaning because the slipcovers left some dirt on them. The fabric on the rear doorcards is sagging, but I thinks that's fixable.

At first sight, nothing to critize in the trunk nor under the hood...besides the engine displacement. :laugh:

Frontend removed...

... the chassis legs looked pretty clean, on the red one, the reinforcement plates were already rusted...

... but if you want to find rust, you'll find rust. Passenger side looks the same. :/

There's also some rust on the doors, trunk and windshield frame. I guess it won't be bored this winter.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I continued to rip it apart. Especially the windscreen frame isn't as rusty as I expected it.

A 'bit' dirt and sand I cleaned out the rear left wheel well :laugh:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Little update, car came saturday back from sandblasting.

And I was searching for new doors online because mine are quite rusted, but I found a black headliner instead, and the seller had a Hella Front and some early flares, so I also bought them.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!

@88jettaguy
My main part sources are ebay.de and ebay-kleinanzeigen.de (something like german Craigslist), and nowadays most of my friends have a MK2 as a second car, so that's also a source. But good parts are quite hard to find nowadays, had to search a while for some decent fenders. And the "rare" stuff is usually pricey. I'd love to have another US spec front bumper since mine was destroyed when I crashed my Marsred MK2, but they're really hard to find over here. On Ebay Kleinanzeigen is a set for sale, but he wants ~$700.

Small update.
The bodywork takes still some time, the guys doing it were busy with other stuff. We decided that I'll go with a metal widebody all around, and like said, I had a hard time to find good fenders.

But also some good news, I finally found an ABF (2.0 16V 150hp) donor car, a 1997 Seat Ibiza Cupra with 268k kms (166k miles) on the clock.

Before my late shift today I started to label the wiring and tearing it apart.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks man!

I'm done parting the Ibiza.

So I started with the loom yesterday. Removing a mile of electrical tape and tubes.

AC and headlight loom removed

The loom looked like this after I was done, but I think I'll also remove the fan loom.

And besides that I'm busy with disambling and cleaning all the parts. For the latter I have a pretty nice machine at work.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's been a while since the last update, so it's time to keep you updated.

I got rid of the Ibiza.

Had some parts powder coated. Sadly I need to get another set rear calipers, as the ones I got with the Polo hub swap have the 34mm piston.

02A Shifter with TT short shifter is ready for installation.

I got a new pair control arms from Topran for only like $18 shipped, and the price is mirrored in the finish of them. But that doesn't matter as they'll be blasted, zinc- and powdercoated. I also have some Strongflex PU bushings waiting.

The bodywork almost done. The golf should be ready for paint end of the month.

I got some Wiseco pistons for the engine a few days ago, so the engine guys can finally finish it.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Looks good man :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I visited her at the paintshop today and I finally have chosen the color, it'll be Ford Frozen white. :) Paint on the chassis should be done in about 2 weeks!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.