VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished a 2.0l bottom end swap on my rabbit. and i made a block off plate with a vent that goes to a catch can. but a high rpms (went to the drag strip tonight) it blows a lot of oil out. the can was full after two passes. I and a bunch of my buddies can not figure it out. i am running a bertils racing valve cover so i have no vent on the head. it also has 11.1 compression ratio if that helps at all. i have been driving it for the last couple weeks with little to no problems at regular driving rpms. tonight was the first time i really had her up in the rpm range.

this is the only pic i have. i will get better ones in the morning. but basically the only vent for the motor is from the block off plate to a catch can. and i really need to get this fixed before the weekend as a autocross event is coming up.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Re: this blows (dragonbyu)

I've got a similar problem. At the end of a drive my vent hose generally leaves a paper plate sized oil spot. I think the EPA set up a camera on my driveway

I attribute this to either ring blowby, which can't be a problem in yoru case, or excessive crankcase pressure which is forcing it up the tube.
I guess since your engine is brandynew, and the purtiest I have ever seen, these things aren't likely to be wrong.
I dont' think it'll help, but I'd liek to see more pictures of this

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Peter Tong)

i have not tried the stock vavle cover or one with a baffle and the hole on the block off plate is 3/4 npt. which i think is more than large enough. what do you think?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: (gltuner)

Quote, originally posted by gltuner »
Just out of curiosity, why not route a drain line from the catch can back to the oil pan?

haha y eah this is what i immediately thought. not exactly a fix but until you can figure the real issue out (and as long as the problem doesnt get worse) you can probably live with a return line of sorts.
good luck to you

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Re: (dragonbyu)

I would swap over to the stock cam cover - with baffle... and see if things improve...
My ABA block off plates have 1" NPT brass barbs... like this...

Modified by Peter Tong at 11:04 AM 6-24-2005

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.