VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone out there will be able to help me out with this..
First, this is a '96 2.0L with a "few" mods (check out http://www.venommotorsports.com if you're interested). Anyway, some part in my engine started complaining today. I'm almost postive that it has something to do with the belts, although which one I have no idea. But, it almost sounds like they're loose. Here's the best part though, get the engine up to 2500 rpm, and it's gone. So, what the hell is it?

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: This CANNOT be good. (98JettaGT)

It's happening when the car is at a stop or below 2500 rpm. It doesn't matter if the transmission is engaged or not, but like I said before.. as soon as the engine exceeds 2500 rpm, it's gone. The sound it consistent as well, it's there from start to finish. As far as the sound specifically, it's almost like a knocking (at least, that's the best I could describe it).
It's not the heat shields either. The one above the manifold (that redirects air back towards the intake) has been taken off, and the one on the downpipe cut out. Everything beyond that is outside of where the noise is coming from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.