VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel (PowerDubs)

nice pic! I never realized how far forward the motor is! Also whats with the spare tire in the drawing, TT spare mod? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel (duvinclunk)

i feel like the rear wheels should be off the ground with how far forward the motor is...
does anyone know the weight distribution for our cars? Isn't it about 60/40 front rear?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel (Projekt R32)

And for you guys that are running lightweight R32's, correct me if I am wrong, but most of the weight you remove is from the rear of the car... so does the car feel more nose heavy after you strip the car?

·
Registered
25,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I feel my car is more balanced at full weight with the rear seats in than out. Also a full tank of gas helps quite a bit.
Might not be quite as fast, but in reality the extra weight won't effect real world performance. The driver is a much larger limitation than the outright acceleration.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

I recently was messing around with my PSS9s... and set the ride height up higher in the front. Now the car feels light in the front end, when entering the corner it understeers a bit but it feels like the front is actually pulling up. I once had a 351W Foxbody that felt similar when entering a corner under power the front would get light as the weight would shift towards the rear. Best comparison I can give ya.
I got some camber plates to install and will fix the ride height.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

All I have to say is DUH!!!

Honestly though, especially after looking at that illustration, I've always been surprised at how NOT nose heavy this car feels, all things considered. Sure, in tight, low speed corners it seriously plows if you're not careful, but at higher speeds it's remarkable how well the chassis handles the weight and how balanced this car can feel.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Projekt R32 »
nice pic! I never realized how far forward the motor is! Also whats with the spare tire in the drawing, TT spare mod? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

hey,if you just throw a full-size Aristo in the trunk,you'll improve the front/rear bias tremendously

·
Registered
12,579 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PowerDubs »
I feel my car is more balanced at full weight with the rear seats in than out...

Greg(GoMobileR32) had a few hundred pounds of audio gear in the hatch of
his R32, and he said it balanced the car nicely.
So maybe that's the new road-course mod - adding weight to the rear hatch

--Chuck--

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel (99Golf20)

Quote, originally posted by 99Golf20 »
...Looks like you guys would thrash oil pans if you went stupid low.

General consensus around here is that 'stupid low' is just that. Stupid.

--Chuck--

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel ($3000dreamcar)

Quote, originally posted by $3000dreamcar »
All I have to say is DUH!!!

Honestly though, especially after looking at that illustration, I've always been surprised at how NOT nose heavy this car feels, all things considered. Sure, in tight, low speed corners it seriously plows if you're not careful, but at higher speeds it's remarkable how well the chassis handles the weight and how balanced this car can feel.
i agree...has a lot to do with the VR6 15 degree aspect of it, im sure. more compact and better balanced engine

·
Registered
971 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel (gruppe-b)

you guys are retarded. The motor is in the middle. The block itself is centered for the most part. It could sit about 1/4 of foot back, but then the tranny would be directly under the seat.

Modified by xVolksR32x at 5:52 PM 5-2-2010

·
Registered
04 R32, 04 HPA FT450 R32, 98 GTI VR6, 10 Tiguan
2,435 Posts
Re: This could explain the nose heavy feel (xVolksR32x)

um no the whole block is in front of the front axle line as almost all VR6's have been since the rado. nothing new here, just a lot of people who may not have realized that yet. That has been one of the big debates between the 1.8t and vr6 both in audi's and vw for some time. Heck even in the mk3, some track and auto-x people went for the 2.slow GTI for weight distribution...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.