VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who needs the food forum? who needs the history channel? it's a car site, i think that we can get rid of some forums and focus on the main point of the site, otherwise i would call for a Sh*t talk forum where guys could go there and bad mouth whoever ripped them off or who they got a problem with. This was done in the dsm forums with much success. Getting rid of such forums would most likely speed up the site, am i correct?
thanks
Paul

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Re: This is a car site, delete all the other non related stuff so u can mak ... (GMoney)

quote:[HR][/HR]
[HR][/HR]​
ditto.
I bet the community pages actually make the 'tex more money in ad revenue (ie page impression views/ad) than they cost in bandwidth etc
Then there's the "stickiness" factor of the site.. the community helps keep people coming back even when they don't have car related problems to request info for.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Re: This is a car site, delete all the other non related stuff so u can make the site faster (killa)

I like poking around the various other forums. I spend most of my Vortex Surf time in the MKIII forum but I like the Food, Music, Photography, and New England Forums.
They round out this website in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,374 Posts
Re: This is a car site, delete all the other non related stuff so u can make the site faster (killa)

We all have a common interest and quite often like to talk about things other than cars. Those other forums are there under the community section. Server speeds will be increasing once the new hardware is put in place.
As for your flame forum recommendation, that's never going to happen. This is a family oriented site and we don't need nor want that atmosphere here.
If you are still stuck on having this site car related only, what about user names? Yours isn't exactly car related...

Tim

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Re: This is a car site, delete all the other non related stuff so u can make the site faster (Jolf)

I have actually found tons of usefull information in the"Non Car" related forums and vote to keep them as they provide help with the Vortex addiction by taking you mind off of spending money on your car to your computer or new digi cam

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Re: This is a car site, delete all the other non related stuff so u can ... (iwanaleya)

This isn't a set "car site" here, it is a "Community". With the huge amount of people that visit this site everyday and what this site has grown into, the vortex would be a lot more boring. What is wrong comming into a site where you can spend time not only getting great information on your car and others, but great info on other useful things. Hell, almost all of my time is spent in the Community section (video games, movies/television, car lounge, music) and I love it. To take out the community section would take out a huge part of what makes this site so appealing. Not only is this site a mine of information regarding Volkswagens, but it's a fun "community" to come and hang out, talk about others interests you have, etc.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Jamie can correct me if i'm wrong, but i remember them telling us that the forums were on a different server than the main website.
If the URL is forums.vwvortex, then it's on the forum server. The slowdown may not be related to content either. There comes a time when the software is taxed, and this forum is probably one of the busiest in the world.
For a free service, with a minimal of banner ads and no pop-ups, i'm extremely happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.