VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Badong: Bad-wrong
On my way home from work, I was putting in the clutch at a stop sign and I noticed a clicking noise. Well, now anytime I put the clutch in or let off the gas the clicking starts.
Things I notice:
1.) Clicking is LOUDER when clutch is in
2.) The speed of the clicking is directly related to the speed at which I am rolling
3.) The clicking's tone/strength changes exactly at the friction point on the clutch
4.) Clicking is louder when clutch is depressed
5.) Clicking happens even with clutch out and with car rolling if you let off of the gas.
NOW - What the hell is this, how bad is it, and how expensive is it gonna be?
TIA guys.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
Re: This is BADONG (NeedyGTI)

You need a CV joint. Get a pair good quality EMPI axles and you are good. Do both as prevenative.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: This is BADONG (whiteriot)

It's a freaking CV joint?!
What the hell - It hasn't been clicking at all when you turn or anything - so just out of nowhere it completely goes out??
How much am I looking at?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Sounds like a TO bearing or the CV joint. I had both f'ed up at the same time so I can't tell the difference between the two noises. The fact that the sound increases when you engage the clutch leads me to believe its the TO bearing though. EMPI axles run you about 200 bucks, TO bearing is 7.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (IDrinkMaltLiquor)

Ah, and how difficult is this "TO" bearing (I guess that's a throw out bearing?) to replace? And does it need to be replaced THIS MINUTE?

·
Registered
39,340 Posts
Re: (NeedyGTI)

Could be coming from the trans as well. I had a trans make that noise, with those symptoms, for 2 years before blowing itself up...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Internal tranny problem, could be SMS "self machine syndrome"
or the "throw out bearing" if your lucky.
My tranny made that noise when a couple of teeth decided to fall off 2nd and third gear.

its probably not your CV's

Modified by hzracing at 2:15 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Re: This is BADONG (NeedyGTI)

Quote, originally posted by NeedyGTI »
It's a freaking CV joint?!
What the hell - It hasn't been clicking at all when you turn or anything - so just out of nowhere it completely goes out??
How much am I looking at?

cars are weird, one time i drove all the way across town, 20 miles, got home parked my car no probs whatsoever, next morning went out got in my car drove about 3-4 miles and my cv exploded.... strange

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (hzracing)

Well, what am I looking at in terms of $$$$$$ and how soon does it need to be taken care of?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Throw out bearings are very easy to replace. Pull the green cap of the end of the trans and swap it out. I don't know if Broke's DIY page is still up, but he had a DIY with pictures for it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (IDrinkMaltLiquor)

Oh man you are the bringer of light!! How soon do I need to get this replaced? Is it more of a nuissance than anything?
Also - anyone have the link to the DIY?
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (C.O.R.R.A.D.O.)

Once again, tahnk you!
And also once again - Does this need to be done NOW - or is it okay to drive? I have a bout a 30min commute to work (Each way) and it's kind of important that I get there

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

i would take care of it ASAP. the last thing you want it for it to go out..plus it's only 7 bucks and you have a primo DIY..what's stoppin you?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (MKDUECE)

The fact that it's 10:00 p.m. and I have to be at work at 7:30 a.m.
I can get to it tomorrow if VW has it in stock, but if not - then I have to wait yet another day. It JUST started. RIGHT as I was getting home - so is it okay to drive a few miles? 30mins is in rush hour - it's maybe 20miles?
Is it possible that an autoparts store would have one?

·
Registered
12,189 Posts

Did you get any pics of that bus yesterday?
Call up Foreign Auto in Marietta and see if they have the throwout bearing. They have a lot of VW parts in stock that the Autozone type stores have to special order. They have helped me out on a lot of stuff.
770-422-4043

1 - 20 of 21 Posts