VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
2010 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0 TSI 6 M/T
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0 TSI with a 6 speed manual. Car had issues, I knew it but those issues were only brakes service, dogbone mount and a water pump. But then one of the injectors failed, changed, failed again. Then, the car lost all power, didn't even make boost and was consuming tons of gas. After checking the whole car we found out that a timing Chain service was needed, DV was failing and that I had the Intake manifold issue. We changed the intake manifold before the timing Chain and a ticking noise started to sound, thinking it was the timing Chain we proceed to make that service, along with the cam bridge, cam adjuster valve and the magnet. We also changed all turbo seals and a the inlet gasket of the turbo. Car still doesn't have no power, the same ticking noise and no CEL/EPC. What can it be?

I literally want to cry (LOL), car doesn't want me 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
Doesn鈥檛 make sense at all really. A no power issue is usually caused by Too much or lack of Air, Fuel, or Spark, caused by indirect or direct means. And any absence of Air Fuel or Spark generally will cause the computer to store a fault 鈥 soft or hard. Are absolutely positive you鈥檙e not storing a soft code? Drive it a bit and check again.

Without a code, you鈥檙e really having to start at the beginning of a diagnostic tree. Since you were having some fueling problems leading up to this problem, I鈥檇 have you check fuel trims. How are your short and long term fuel trims? Can you check your fuel pressure? With everything you鈥檝e told me, it sounds like you鈥檙e having fuel delivery problems. Since you developed a tick, sounds like the plunger/tapet on the high pressure fuel pump or camshaft is failing. I would pull the high pressure fuel pump and take a look at the tapet and camshaft lobe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn鈥檛 make sense at all really. A no power issue is usually caused by Too much or lack of Air, Fuel, or Spark, caused by indirect or direct means. And any absence of Air Fuel or Spark generally will cause the computer to store a fault 鈥 soft or hard. Are absolutely positive you鈥檙e not storing a soft code? Drive it a bit and check again.

Without a code, you鈥檙e really having to start at the beginning of a diagnostic tree. Since you were having some fueling problems leading up to this problem, I鈥檇 have you check fuel trims. How are your short and long term fuel trims? Can you check your fuel pressure? With everything you鈥檝e told me, it sounds like you鈥檙e having fuel delivery problems. Since you developed a tick, sounds like the plunger/tapet on the high pressure fuel pump or camshaft is failing. I would pull the high pressure fuel pump and take a look at the tapet and camshaft lobe.

Fuel Pump is good, cam lobe was perfect! I'm thinking of the hydraulic lifters. The sound started after the intake manifold install

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I live in a country where there aren't much euro cars experts, tomorrow the car will move from my friend's shop to his teacher's shop. He's the best VAG expert in the country along with my knowledge and a friend's. Will be checking everything at the moment, no soft codes. I thought of that, but let's see what we can find. By the way, you gave me some ideas. That tapping problem started after installing the Intake manifold, I will start there and see what I can find. Timing is completely new and engine is not stalling or revving hard so, I'll see what I can find. Also, I think this post will help others. Thank you for responding so fast.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem. I hope you get it figured out.

So we rechecked the car today. My friend's teacher told us to check the compression again. All cylinders are equal in compression, we still have no power but appeared a soft code of a misfire on cylinder 1. Tapping notice is still there. We recheck all the steps. Tomorrow we'll remove the headgasket and see if we can find something. Maybe a vented valve or something in the head of the cylinder.

Enviado desde mi GM1915 mediante Tapatalk

Registered
So we rechecked the car today. My friend's teacher told us to check the compression again. All cylinders are equal in compression, we still have no power but appeared a soft code of a misfire on cylinder 1. Tapping notice is still there. We recheck all the steps. Tomorrow we'll remove the headgasket and see if we can find something. Maybe a vented valve or something in the head of the cylinder.

Enviado desde mi GM1915 mediante Tapatalk
Like like you鈥檙e a bit closer to figuring it out. The tick could also be that cylinder if it鈥檚 completely dead. Do you have a dead misfire or is it sporadic? Log measuring blocks 14-16

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like like you鈥檙e a bit closer to figuring it out. The tick could also be that cylinder if it鈥檚 completely dead. Do you have a dead misfire or is it sporadic? Log measuring blocks 14-16

We are going to see that tomorrow. But Measuring is about right, that's my doubt. Is a sporadic misfire.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also unlikely to be a bent valve if you鈥檙e getting good compression. But I do think that tic is suspect. Perhaps you have a bad lifter as you alluded to earlier.

I wish it was that and not a bent valve or bad cyl head. But the car is iddling like it doesn't have any problem. Just the ticking sound and no power. Sound comes from the front left side of the engine, close to the timing.

Registered
I wish it was that and not a bent valve or bad cyl head. But the car is iddling like it doesn't have any problem. Just the ticking sound and no power. Sound comes from the front left side of the engine, close to the timing.
I鈥檓 unfamiliar with that engine. Is that belt or chain driven? When was it done last?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts