VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first happened to me when I went to a GTG a few weeks ago. I drove about 45 mins away from my house, stopped at Sheetz to grab something to drink... I come outside, and try to crank over my car. I got nothing. The car was almost acting as if it was overheated, but thats not the case at all. It's what I thought at first too. I waited about 15 minutes, and it finally fired right back up as if everything was normal. I drove back home, thinking it was a 1 time thing, and decided to try and fire it back up once I'm in my driveway. Nothing at all.
The car has to sit for like 15-30 mins before firing back up after a little bit of a drive. I'm completely stumped. The starter was replaced in january, new battery, and I can't really think of what could cause it to act up like this. I want to say its overheating, but it really isn't. Temperature stays down on the gauge to a quarter.
Where should I start? Oh yeah, its a 90 8v jetta auto.

· Registered
47 Posts
Re: This is getting old, car won't start sometimes... (. W e r d n a)

ive had probably the exact issue, but my fix was kind of off timing, it helped, but didnt entirely fix it, then next i found the wire to my starter was frayed and eventually in two peices from the heat of the exaust, i fixed that and its been good since, maybe if you get 5 minutes put the car on ramps and take a look at the wire going to your starter. hope this helps
did you just recently put the car on the road, or anything involving the timing

Modified by wldrnick at 2:26 PM 8-6-2008

· Registered
25,026 Posts
Re: This is getting old, car won't start sometimes... (. W e r d n a)

Does it still have the heatshield around the starter? If not, get one. If it does, only thing you can really do is somehow try to keep the heat from the exhaust away from the starter.

· Registered
4,157 Posts
Re: This is getting old, car won't start sometimes... (Mr. Knappy)

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Knappy »
Does it still have the heatshield around the starter? If not, get one. If it does, only thing you can really do is somehow try to keep the heat from the exhaust away from the starter.

Exactly, it wont start because your starter is too hot....15-25 minutes later its cooled down enough to crank over!
The autos had starters in really stupid places....

Modified by .:R-GTI:. at 3:04 PM 8-6-2008

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.