VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
goal
Remove existing ‘Golf’ and ‘GTI’ badges from rear hatch. Then adhere new 25th AE ‘GTI’ badge.

technique
I believe I have followed the techniques described in various forums I found on the Vortex, I may not have done this the accepted way, but it worked fine for me.

tools used
Hair dryer; for heating up existing adhesive
Dental floss; for prising letters away from bodywork
Glue remover (wax & grease remover is what I used); for removing excess adhesive
Plus your favoured wax/polish; to prep surface before adhering new badge
3M removable sticky tape; to help align new badge

step one
I removed one letter at a time and started by heating up each letter with the hair dryer for approximately 2 minutes. You should be able gently wiggle the letter at this point. Then I used the dental floss to slide behind the letter to prise it off the bodywork.

step two

There was more adhesive left on the body than I had first thought. So while pointing the hair dryer towards the remaining adhesive I was able to work it off by rubbing my finger up and down over the residue adhesive. It can be tricky to get the adhesive to start to come off, just be patient and try to resist the temptation to use your fingernail!

step three
Now use your glue remover and a cloth rag to get rid of any remaining adhesive. I tested my Wax & Grease remover on the underside of one of my doors to make sure it did not affect the paintwork. While using the remover I was careful not to rub too hard, just to make sure I did not damage the paintwork.

Almost done!

step four
Use you favoured wax and polish to get your newly debadged hatch all nice and shiny and ready to adhere the new badge. Make sure that all dust and particles are removed leaving a perfectly clean surface to stick your badge on to.

On the right hand tail light you can see some removable tape. Before I started to remove the ‘GTI’ badge I lined up the tape with the baseline and top of the existing OEM badge. I can now use this as a guide for placing my new badge.

step five
The new GTI badge has adhesive on the rear ready to be stuck straight on to the bodywork. The letter spacing is secured by a clear slightly adhesive film that can be removed once the badge has been stuck on to the car itself. I stuck a piece of removeable sticky tape on to the outer edge of the material around the badge and lightly pressed the removeable tape once I had the badge in position. Take a few steps back and make sure the badge is not crooked and that you’re happy with it’s overall placement.

step six
Once you are happy with the placement of your badge hold the removeable tape in place and fold over the badge so that you can get access to the adhesive backing, peel the backing off and you’re ready to stick the badge on to the bodywork in it’s final position. Press firmly to ensure good contact is made. Once the badge is in place you can now remove the clear sheet on the front of the badge and voila…

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Cheers Liam

Modified by minigolf at 8:29 AM 8-1-2007

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: This is how I debadged and rebadged my GTI (jetta4life04)

Quote, originally posted by jetta4life04 »
4 the info. i would claybar before i re-wax just to insure the clarity of the paint. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Ah, good idea ... even though I've never clay barred before. Makes good sense though.

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It's all good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BTW, my rear badge was put on to match my front grille badge. I did want to get a GTI grille badge that matched my original rear badges, but my dealer made a boo boo when ordering the grille badge in for me. Oh well, I'm okay with how it's all ended.

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote, originally posted by jetta4life04 »
4 the info. i would claybar before i re-wax just to insure the clarity of the paint. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This seems to be a very good piece of advice.
The other day I caught the side of the car that used to have my "GOLF" badge at the "right" angle in the sun and you could just make the where the original badge was adhered. I've only noticed it once, but time to clay bar methinks!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: This is how I debadged and rebadged my GTI (act:GTI)

Holy orange-peel Batman! Is that the factory paint, or have you had to have the hatch resprayed? It could just be the camera or lighting as well, but it looks like more orange peel than normal.

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: This is how I debadged and rebadged my GTI (v_dubguy2004)

Quote, originally posted by v_dubguy2004 »
its the glue from the back of the badge!!

No its not. I'm talking about the black area around where the badges go. If you look at the paint, it looks as if it has the texture of an orange peel, hence the name "orange peel." That is alot of orange peel for a paint job, and unless the camera is distorting it to look like it has more peel than it does, it is too much peel.

· Registered
7,100 Posts
Re: This is how I debadged and rebadged my GTI (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

Holy orange-peel Batman! Is that the factory paint, or have you had to have the hatch resprayed? It could just be the camera or lighting as well, but it looks like more orange peel than normal.

I've got the same effect on my car, but it's hardly noticeable to the "average" eye...every new vehicle I've had has it...they give excuses out here and say it's the heat in AZ - WHEN IT'S FACTORY PAINT! No use in fighting it anymore...unless it's a custom job...
PS...Nice debadging job!

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: This is how I debadged and rebadged my GTI (bizzeau)

Yeah, I figured it had to be more of a camera or lighting exaggeration than anything else. Yeah, AZ heat- a perfect explanation.

· Banned
1,989 Posts

I thought VW paint job = orange peel

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: This is how I debadged and rebadged my GTI (VR6-DasLightTheWay)

Apparently it does. Most automakers have some orange peel though. Only thing is, I thought it looked a little extreme, even for VW.

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I know what you mean. I must say that the "texture" of the paint on my car has always been something that has puzzled me.
Haha, I'll fix up the links on my pics later tonight! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.