VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is:
1993 cabriolet "special edition" resplendent in its pink painted pinstripe glory, with not-so-light teardrops (with centercaps!) and rotten to pieces white top. Oh, and it's an automatic.
The driveline:
1996 OBD2 ABA motor, 020 manual transmission
No A/C or P/S, no frills, no BS
The interior:
ditching power windows, losing about 50 lbs. of unneeded weight, digging on some 85-style pinstripe doorcards and pleather seats.
The exterior:
Just as God and Don Johnson intended; green with pinstripes and full late-80's leftover trim. Did I mention teardrops?
Subtle lowering, poly suspension pieces, poly motor mount inserts should take care of stance.
Overall, I can now take a slightly more educated look at what it takes to really build a bulletproof, good-running car for (not TOO much) money, and make some more friends along the way!
Wiring:
I hate life.
Here are some pics:

Let the games begin!

· Registered
1,879 Posts
Re: (dwl124)

Mike,
I think you should sell the pleather seats from the 93 and put in the 85 seats but color match that blue insert to the green of the car that would be sick http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (volksvvagon)

If you look closely, you can see the microdots in the material. In addition, they were marketed as "leatherette", which to me means "pleather". They are still nice seats, though.

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: This is the "I learned my lesson about low-buck builds" thread (dwl124)

Lesson #5,487: always make sure you have parts that fit your other parts.
After thinking I had everything I need for my swap, I look closely at my DP and donated OBD2 cat (thanks Justin!), to realize that the DP flange does not match the Catalytic converter. Now I need a 300$ DP to make it work. I should have looked more closely before declaring "done buying". My bad.
A such, all parts I have for sale are now priced even lower than before so I can sell it all to afford this DP. IM for details.

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: This is the "I learned my lesson about low-buck builds" thread (YJSAABMAN)

It's really more of a right way vs. wrong way proposition for me. I could easily just "make it work", but I don't think I could do a better job designing than TT has. Besides, the DP I have is actually 2", as opposed to 2.5" for the rest of the system! It's just not the right one at all, unfortunately, and to use it in any fashion would introduce an undesireable bottleneck. Ugh. It's bullet-biting time.

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Okay, so steering racks suck. All of them. I am convinced that Satan himself was the engineer responsible for them.
Yeah.
Anyways...
Steering rack swap will be done tomorrow or monday. Shift linkage will follow shortly thereafter. Once I get the TT downpipe, exhaust will be done. Hopefully, I should have the motor in place and ready to wire up by next weekend.

· Registered
6,491 Posts

You're moving faster than me, now! I'm getting a little more involved in my bay prep, though. Wish I didn't have to do all the prep work in there!! Oh, well, the results will be worth it!
Wiring isn't aweful, it just takes some time.

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: This is the "I learned my lesson about low-buck builds" thread (YJSAABMAN)

Yeah, my intention for the bay is to just clean up all the grime and crud from it, respray it with clear (the old paint is 100%), re-wrap all harnesses with clean friction tape, and just do a pimp job with the ABA install. The overall theme with the 93 is to try and make everything look as factory as possible. The only exceptions to that will be a polished intake manifold and strut tower brace which I am painting to color match the factory paint).
I still have to pull out the steering rack and brake booster before I can clean it as well as I would like, and with luck, I should have the weather for it this week (I work outside).
As for the wiring, I know it's not too bad, especially going Motronic OBD2 into a Digifant 2 car, but I have to make life difficult on myself, so I am sure I will not be satisfied with the appearance of the integrated ABA harness the first 3 times I do it. I swear, this car WILL run, though, regardless of the appearance!

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: This is the "I learned my lesson about low-buck builds" thread (oopseyesharted)

Thanks! I ill take pics of the more gaudy paint and trim work today, along with pics of my (progress?!).
Yeah, since it is 39 degrees this AM, I think I will be waiting until the sun comes up to do any work.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.