VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was up in palm beach this morning at the town of palm beach building department and i decided to take a little trip down the road to go check out the surf which i knew was good but not this good. I took a trip down to a little place called reef road florida local surfers will know what i'm talking about. Lets just say 2ft overhead on the set waves some were closing out but most makeable. From what i could see they were doing tow-ins on the outside, watch a kid get try and get out of jail but the curtain closed right on his hea don a set wave. Didn't have time to snap a pic since the damn police up there patrol the streets for surfers like us parking to look at the surf and what not and made me move my car. So i went down the road a couple of miles to a little secret spot of mine that only breaks good on big north east swells like this and holy s**t was it good here except for the drift out of the north. anyways here's some pics of my spot and a some cars i spotted on the way up. Sorry about the size but you wouldn't be able to see how good it was if they were smaller

My buddies Twin Turbo Rx-7 dear god is this thing fast

Porsche GT3 this is about as close i could get to him with the camera in hand full roll cage, gutted, racing numbers on side, serious ride

Now for the waves

Nice outsider

Mid-break

Nice little airbooster or head dip on the inside (bottom left) and then a nice bomb on the outside about to come down (right)

But this is why i love this secret spot
(yes i did take this picture today and nobody was out there) when i saw this i about cried that i couldn't take advantage of open barrels
but then i got in the R and started to forget about the waves

Modified by marfcus at 10:54 AM 9-12-2005

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which pic, the top three are breaking about 300 yards from the shore on the set waves on the outside, the last picture is no less than 100 yards offshore, i was in full zoom standing across the road, that retaining wall goes straight down into the water basically, their are rocks on the other side with little sand it's a good 3 second barrel or mabe more on good days

Modified by marfcus at 11:12 AM 9-12-2005

· Registered
2,234 Posts
Yeap, you should have been here yesterday ! I know you heard that one before if your any kind of a surfer. I used to surf here in Texas back in High School and College. We don't get much in the way of waves unless a tropical wave or Hurricane comes a shore. The biggest day I ever surfed was back in the 70's when Hurricane Beulla(I think that's how it was spelled) came in, we had waves up to 10' rolling in before the cops chased us off the beach. It was great !!!

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robo where is that, because i think i might have been there before, I've gone out to Cali every year for about 3 weeks during the summer for the past 5 years. I stay in Santa Barbara with a family friend who's part of the Santa Barbara surf club and rips for a 50 year old guy. We usually start down by baja, rosartita beach, K-38 and surf the coast up back to santa barbara during a weeks time. We usually hit up Malibu if it's at least waist to chest to get some long board fun, county line, scripps, la joya, blackies, san onofre, C-street, Rincon (my all time favorite wave), campus point, Devroux, Sands, I have also been lucky to surf the most coveted "The Ranch" since the guy i stay with is a multi milonaire and knows people that live there and yes it is a magical place. I thank god everday we have waves in florida and when i go out to cali every summer it's a very humbling experience when you get to surf rincon when it's pumping out at the indicator and you can ride the waves all the way through the cove, stuff like that you always remeber and i'm lucky to have experience this all at young age.

· Registered
4,426 Posts
Re: (marfcus)

You've hit 'em all. The only one you missed out was Porto - that's the picture - looks like this pretty well all winter long (except usually with a lot more people). I've surfed all the places you mentioned. Have a friend with a house near K38 and I've even surfed the Ranch. I tend to stay away from Malibu since I'm not a longboarder and anything that won't fit inside the R gets left on the curb as far as I'm concerned. If it's good at Malibu it's a south swell and I head for the river mouth at Huntington - steep and fast.
Love the look of that little left at your secret spot. I would like to be in the Carolinas right now.

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (robocopywriter)

yea when i was down in huntignton it was pretty flat just a little wind swell in the water but we kept heading north and malibu was looking good at about head high at second point, it was at the end of the day and felt like taking out the ole 9' Yater for quick session, but otherwise the crowds are rediculous but laid back. We stayed around C-street most of the time since it'll take a swell from any direction and is always around waist during summer but i've been lucky to catch rincon and campus point going off. The worst part about every trip is that the day i leave there is always a new south swell showing that ends up sending 6ft walls into rincon and every nook and crany in santa barbara, sandspit, and from the flight out i can see trestles just going off
. Yea i haven't gotten up to the outter banks yet but a buddy of mine just got a house up there, not sure exactly where, but i'll send you some pics from the back yard of by buddies house which is right on stuart rocks, the house is dead smack on the break, it is sick, they say it's the only point break in florida, when the winter swells kick up i'll post some up

Modified by marfcus at 3:29 PM 9-12-2005

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (robocopywriter)

that's why i have the R, the quick shot up the coast in the car and only one other person can fit in the passenger seat and about 3 boards comfortably but this is what i usually use for the beach trips.
My 83' jeep CJ with a 305 small block

· Registered
1,369 Posts
Re: THIS IS WHY WORK SUCKS!!! (marfcus)

Heres one of my spots...

And a nice shot of it...

Not my favorite, but nice long breaks all day long. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I go to zeros or victoria point for the big swells.

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think tomorrow (tuesday) might be the last of it, seems to be closing out at the end of the day with the tide/wind combo, ha mabe i'll start posting the daily surf report on vortex for SO. FL locals

· Registered
40 Posts
Re: THIS IS WHY WORK SUCKS!!! (marfcus)

But this is why i love this secret spot
(yes i did take this picture today and nobody was out there) when i saw this i about cried that i couldn't take advantage of open barrels
but then i got in the R and started to forget about the waves

secret spot my arm pit!! you should have seen dawn patrol offshores and grinding

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea but no one is ever here, where do you surf at? The swell was getting bigger through the day, when i took this picture the swell was starting to max out, i'm pretty sure i saw them towing in up at pumphouse again

Modified by marfcus at 4:32 PM 9-13-2005

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.