VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my car runnning good but when i bent the rims i think i knocked back my control arm a bit. so now my friends say that my car is riding straight but when you look at it from behind or in front while driving it looks like it is riding sideways kinda. could itbe my alignment or something? or could it be somehitng with my camber or towe angle... any suggestions would help thanks. oh yeah but when im driving it it feels fine. except when i swirve alot it feels unstable.. thanks

·
Registered
20,311 Posts
Re: this is wierd (83rabbGTi)

Probably the best thing to do is string the car and check it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

When you look at the front wheels from the side are they still located in the centre of the wheel wells. I hit the curb once and it bent the control arm, making the wheel sit about 1 inch back in the wheel well. I had to replace it before I got a re-alignment. I don't know if this has anything to do with what's happened to you but it may help.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Re: this is wierd (Bad Bunny)

Bump.

Yeah I wanna find out too.
My friend hit a wall and bent the control arm pretty bad... I replaced it and checked where thy connect, perfect, but it sits alittle bit back towards the cab..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: this is wierd (DieselDemon)

yeah. it does sit back. that guy who put my new rim tires on said that i bent my control arm back a little bit. how much does it cost to replace?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

would it be bad to drive it like that? would it do anything to the car? or would it even make the car a lttle unstable?

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

yeah, a bent control arm isn't the best thing to drive on, should you need to make some quick moves to avoid an accident, you may not be able to. You will also stress you wheel bearings, cv joints, and wearing out your tire quickly.
new control arms can be had and are fairly simple to replace... i've done my fair share in my day...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: this is wierd (PDX Cabby)

do ya think it would be alright to get me to work and back... how hard is it to replace?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

control arms can be had at the junkyard for 5 dollars or new for 30. look around online, or call a few online places. don't reuse the ball joint either, get a new one, and the bolt at the bottom of the steering knuckle, it is a use once item - order a nw from VW. it takes about 45 minutes to put a control arm on.
I would not drive the car until it is fixed - it probably won't break though - BUT IMAGINE IF IT DOES....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Re: this is wierd (PlaneJob)

I drove my car a bit with the control arm bent as I didn't have time to change it right away. It's really easy to swap a new one in though, only 6 bolts or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts