VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

· Premium Member
997.1 | Giulia
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

And that, is the Miata replacement.

I considered many options over the past few months (E36 M3/4/5, E90 M3, E30 325i, Z4 M, 981/987 Boxster, 250 GTO, etc.) and you'll notice I was kinda all over the place but was leaning towards a sedan for the practicality.

My mood would also fluctuate between wanting something older and analog that I can restore vs. the peace of mind of having it start every time <knocks on wood> and only tinkering with mods and upgrades. Also used car prices are still high (which isn't a legit complaint when you're also trying to sell a used car).

Ultimately decided my Turo experience from 2020 was positive enough and with the significant improvement of the infotainment, went with something new:
  • 2022 Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
  • RWD
  • Misano Blue
  • 22U package
    • LSD
    • Sport seats
    • Aluminum paddle shifters
    • 19" wheels
It has a build date of 5/22 and I picked it up with 16 miles on it.

Lease rates were horrible (e.g. 27 months, 10k miles/year, $2,500 down for $672/month). Nope. So I financed instead after getting a solid discount and a favorable rate.

The touchscreen isn't as snappy as what's in my brother's S4, but it's fine and I actually prefer using the wheel on the center console anyway. It's fairly bright in the day, looks good at night, and well integrated into the dash.

When I asked the dealer not to drill the front bumper, I was surprised to hear they never do despite being the law. "It ruins the look."

My man.

Thinking of adding PPF on the front bumper.

Veloce trim also gets the nicer diffuser with black tips. The exhaust is way too quiet but I'm not in a rush to upgrade it.

No adaptive dampers but I'm also thinking of leaving the suspension alone, although I still need to get used to approaching a dip and not slowing down. :LOL:

I wish they still came with the original 5-hole design as I'm not a huge fan of the machined look that's been the trend lately. But I also don't hate it and it's very Alfa in its design. But the old ones are still available if I choose to swap them out.

However I'm definitely not keeping the all-season Pirelli Cinturato P7s...those also came on the Mk7.5 GTI and I really disliked them. As soon as Michelin offers another rebate, I'm getting the PS4S in likely the stock size (225/40-R19).

While you can't go wrong with a red Alfa, the Misano was giving me strong Sapphire Blue vibes from the 981 CS days and it was an easy decision. They had a bunch of Alfa Rosso but not many in Etna Rosso, which is the deeper red.

My high school basketball coach told me to grow a foot. Spoiler alert, I didn't, and thus with the driver's seat in the normal position, there's plenty of leg room in the back.

Engine bay will be addressed during its first wash. The motor sounds like all other turbo 4-pots but at only 146 miles, I'm still breaking it in and keeping it easy. But there's plenty of low-end torque and at less than 3,600 lbs, it feels light and nimble. I wouldn't say the cabin shrinks around you but it feels sporty, which is exactly what I wanted.

The switchgear is nice, there are actual knobs for the A/C, and while the pockets in the door cards aren't soft and the steering wheel leather feels a little rough compared to my re-wrapped 997 wheel, it still has a premium feel to it. A lot of tech features come standard and I like how it stands out amongst other midsize sedans.

I like to think this ladybug traveled across the Atlantic in the battery compartment to hide from customs.

When I came back to pick up the car, it was around 8 pm. I noticed there was still tape residue on the taillight and I didn't make a note of it. The detailer was likely gone anyway so I busted out the steamer and took care of it myself.

I'll take mirrorless pics later on after adding my typical 20% tint and Michelins.

This'll be my daily but also a great road trip car. Looking forward to Alfa ownership; it's got big shoes to fill. :)

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Sweet ride, you will be very happy with it. If you find yourself wanting more power, nearly 100hp is a programmer and a couple bolt ons away.

This is my daily driver. 2020 QV, Options: Nero package, Rosso Competizione (replaced by Rosso ETNA for 2021), Carbon steering wheel, Black interior with Red stitching, Red Calipers, and Wireless charging pad.

Speziata!

· Premium Member
997.1 | Giulia
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love it, fantastic color!
Patrikman approved. Nice!
Congrats! I can almost smell the Italian leather. How does the handling compare to Miata?
Thanks! Can't make any real handling comparisons yet but I plan on driving it up the coast fairly soon and that'll give me plenty for reflection. But what I can say so far is there's more body roll, the steering is quicker but the Miata still gets the nod, it absorbs bumps better, and picks up speed faster than I thought. It's just so much quieter with the stock exhaust and windows rolled up. Biggest takeaway is the Giulia does NOT feel like it's ~1,200 lbs heavier, and that's saying something.
Beautiful! I am not jealous at all, I swear!
(y)
Sweet ride, you will be very happy with it. If you find yourself wanting more power, nearly 100hp is a programmer and a couple bolt ons away.

This is my daily driver. 2020 QV, Options: Nero package, Rosso Competizione (replaced by Rosso ETNA for 2021), Carbon steering wheel, Black interior with Red stitching, Red Calipers, and Wireless charging pad.

Speziata!
I remember yours...looks so good! I couldn't swing a QV without selling the 997 and not ready to do that, plus I'd be down to a single car and still want a manual in the stable.

But those are the exact wheels I wanna get! Also the trunk spoiler should fit mine too, no? I imagine the trunk lid is the same.

· Registered
1,455 Posts
I remember yours...looks so good! I couldn't swing a QV without selling the 997 and not ready to do that, plus I'd be down to a single car and still want a manual in the stable.

But those are the exact wheels I wanna get! Also the trunk spoiler should fit mine too, no? I imagine the trunk lid is the same.
I hear you. I sold my family DD 2014 Mercedes E350 4matic to buy it, I was going to get a Giulia Q4, but me and my wife both work in NYC so we don't need 2 "all weather" daily drivers, as we take the train. I drive this car in everything but snow, we have her GLE 350 for the bad weather. I also have a pickup to tow my race car that I use in the bad stuff.

Anyway yeah there are various widths of those wheels. On the QV they are staggered in size, on the Q2 I believe they were square, I know for sure on the Q4 they were. Alfissimo.com can get you any of the sizes new 8", 8.5", 9", or 10" wide. All are 19 inch diameter. The for reference the QV has 8.5 front and 10 rear (if you want that look). Jason at Alfissimo can guide you. And yes the trunklids are identical, that spoiler will fit right on. He can sell you the stock spoiler, or if you want a little different look he has the Racing Edition Spoiler, which i think is pretty cool.

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,694 Posts
Absolutely stunning! 👍

Reactions: kiznarsh

· Registered
10,587 Posts
Nice ride! I mean this respectfully but it is amazing how these & Stevlios alike have dissapeared from the roads around here (northern Va). They're a timeless design that does not need any refresh. I hope you enjoy it...we had a similarly spec'd 2018 Stelvio and the worst thing about it was infotainment (yours is better) and the electronic brake / throttle feel (curious about your take)..I couldn't be smooth with that thing for the life of me.

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Nice ride! I mean this respectfully but it is amazing how these & Stevlios alike have dissapeared from the roads around here (northern Va). They're a timeless design that does not need any refresh. I hope you enjoy it...we had a similarly spec'd 2018 Stelvio and the worst thing about it was infotainment (yours is better) and the electronic brake / throttle feel (curious about your take)..I couldn't be smooth with that thing for the life of me.
Thats the main problem with Alfa Romeo in the US now, the dealer network. There are massively underserved (or not served at all) parts of the country where the dealer has closed/moved etc. So people had leases, turned them in, and went and got something else even if they liked the car. There are many parts of the country where it wouldn't be wise to own one as you're looking at hundreds of miles for warranty service, andd unless there is a good indy shop near you, you're SOL.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts