VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: this should keep me cool... (SUV-ETR)

yeah i picked it up from my buddy evan, who does 42 draft designs. i got a beast deal on it. yeah he told me the heat exchanger is a tad tiny but this was on his mk4 2.0T running 15psi and it never got hot. so i guess for what it is the exchanger works. if i find it insufficent then ill swap it out.

the resivour is from west marine. it barely fits in my trunk. he shoved these copper tubes on, ones longer than the other so itll suck up water. those taps you just unscrew...

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Re: this should keep me cool... (corradokyd)

nice setup. i'm thinking about using the same real soon, since i cant fit much of a air-air IC on my scirocco.
not to picknit, but i noticed that PWR mentioned using either a small car radiator or a motorcycled radiator, since they are designed to cool water, not oil. i am keeping my eye out for a motorcyle unit, so will hopefull fit in my cramped mk1.
do keep us informed to how well it works out.

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: this should keep me cool... (poorman)

Quote, originally posted by poorman »
from what i heard the exchanger size isnt that important, however the ability to move alot of water through the unit helps dramatically....my $0.02

thats exactly true. theres obviously nothing wrong with my rad if it kept 15psi cool at all times but like i said if i feel it cant keep up or is a stress point in the flow direction ill swap it out i mean i can easily gank one from a local junkyard.

· Registered
1,711 Posts

Sorry, but I cant stand to see A/W systems like this. Small heat exchanger, small IC core, 30 ft of small diameter tubing. I mean, it'll work but just not as well as it would if you were to use bigger heat exchangers and less tubing.

· Registered
1,711 Posts

Quote, originally posted by corradokyd »
its all cut for a mk4. i shouldnt even have to use half of that tubing.
dont post if youre going to post nonsense.

When all is said and done, you're going to see 3 gpm out of that pump. Most people have no idea how much friction there is in tubing and multiple connections. it's too bad.

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: this should keep me cool... (LooseNut)

ill run that sht in to the ground till it blows up i dont care. its already been proven to work perfectly fine for over a year or so. otherwise i would take your advice more seriously. when it comes down to it you can find a millionthings wrong with anything. with physics you sacrifice one thing to gain another, it just never works out.

· Registered
591 Posts

i wish the pics worked for me, so i could see what it is..... i'm in the middle of mine, and have a small heat exchanger, little piping, and i'm gonna use the washer fluid resovoir for mine..... i was thinking of using 2 exchangers, one before the IC and one after, hit me up with the pics if you can, i'm in your neck of the woods sort of..... you should come down to the GTG's we have in fairfax one friday, so i can check your ride out, i'm thinking of selling mine to buy a 1.8t corrado, but it has a front mount

i like sleepers

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: this should keep me cool... (sdezego)

yeah, it waited a few days to tell me my bandwidth was gone. im gonna up grade though after i see if its cheap cause its prob worth it so i can have some posts on 12oz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.