VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought NGK BRK7E 6097s, and gapped them to .028". I wanted to change my plugs for a couple reasons. first, the Autolite 3922's had about 13K on them, and I knew they were reaching their end. Second, I have read in various posts here, that the Autolites tend to cause coil packs to pop up. My coil packs have been popping up, ever since I've used the Autolites. Here is a pic of that:

As I went to pull my first plug, I noticed it took absolutely NO effort to unthread the plug. At first I thought I didn't have the socket on the plug right!! Turn outs, my first 3 plugs were completely loosened, while the plug on the 4th cyl, was perfect. All 4 plugs were torqued to 22ft lbs, but 3 were completely loose! Here is a pic of my pulled autolites, in order from left to right, same as the cylinder they were in.

As you can see, there left 3 plugs have oil cooked onto the insulator, while the right-most plug looks normal. Needless to say, plugs 1-3 are fouled.
Why in the world would my Autolites come undone?!? I'm going to check on my NGKs regularly, especially if the coil packs pop up.
Edit: FYI, the car idled, and ran fine with the f'd up autolites, just had poor fuel economy. Hopefully the mpg's will come back to normal.

Modified by 3wheelinWolf at 4:43 PM 2-15-2004

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (3wheelinWolf)

Quote, originally posted by 3wheelinWolf »
IAll 4 plugs were torqued to 22ft lbs

you mean "It's on tight enough" doesn't work with plugs
I've used Autolites, and they haven't given me issues.

·
Registered
534 Posts

I believe the NGKs are "NGK BKR7E" not "NGK BRK7E." Just in case anyone was wondering..

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (337drew)

most parts stores go by referance number now...
so refer to them as 6097.... might as well get used to it

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (2kjettaguy)

will the extra 1/4 or 1/2 turn the bentley suggest help with this?
i've had this happen in the past but i'm back to the ngk's now with no issues.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

They don't look fouled to me either. Too bad about them going loose like that, I guess it's a good idea to recheck them after a week of driving. They are easy to reach anyway, I'm going to check my stockers with 20,000 km (15,000 miles) on them.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (screwball)

I am getting ready to change mine next week. Is there a FAQ or guide somewhere? Or do you just pull off the coilpacks and pull the plugs out?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (okanagan45)

Quote, originally posted by okanagan45 »
They don't look fouled to me either. Too bad about them going loose like that, I guess it's a good idea to recheck them after a week of driving. They are easy to reach anyway, I'm going to check my stockers with 20,000 km (15,000 miles) on them.

Yeah, sorry for the bad pic. I couldn't get a good shot of the electrode. They are seriously blackened, compared to the 4th cyl.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

Those plugs look clean to me, foulded plugs look like you painted the entire tip with flat black paint. I just popped these out of my car this afternoon and replaced them with NGK 7s. There is a black edge around the outside, a brown insulator and the tip is tan. These are darn close to perfect if you ask me.

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 3:06 PM 2-15-2004

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

I had the same problem happen to me with the same plugs. But I have two plugs still stuck in the head
. I had Pat from Rydel look at it for me and he was kinda baffled. My plugs too had loosened up and I can't figure out why. I retorqued the and the ones I could get out have yet to loosen again. What Pat did do was swap the positions of the coilpacks. That was about two weeks ago and it has yet to pop out. But what's really weird is I don't get any misfires. That is the thing that really bugs me the most. The spark has to jump the gap from the conductor of the coilpack to the top of the plug and then jump the normal gap in the plug.
You know the plug is not getting the spark energy it is supposed to be getting.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (MRP2001GTi)

I guess you're right. My last set of plugs were much lighter than that. I assumed the last set was normal, since I wasn't chipped. Comparing my chipped vs non chipped plugs, there was quite a difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I've run Autolite 3923's and just installed some 3922's last week. Two of the 3923's I just removed were "loose." Number 2 and 4 cylinder if I remember right...
I have a calibrated torque wrench too...22 ft/lbs every time
I'm not sure why they back out like that, but i think i'm going to retorque the 3922's now.

·
Registered
896 Posts

the reason your coilpacks are popping out is not because of the autolites it's because it's a german car...so you must use german torque, or "gutentite" as i like to call it, mine were poping out too so i just gave it a little snug and no more popping out.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (thefullmonti)

Quote, originally posted by thefullmonti »
"gutentite"

Yeah, that's like about 25ft lbs, I agree.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: This sucks! glad I changed my spark plugs today. (okanagan45)

Quote, originally posted by okanagan45 »

Yeah, that's like about 25ft lbs, I agree.

That's funny.
This weekend, I will check on the plugs to make sure they are all good.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
I always just finger tighten then snug em a 1/4 turn to crush the washer.
I dont trust the torque wrench on aluminum heads.

Incidently.. The plugs are in very good shape and you can just retorque and continue using them if you like.
Just keep an eye on them in case they start backing out. My autolights did the same thing.

Modified by Cypher2k at 10:53 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: (Cypher2k)

Quote, originally posted by Cypher2k »
I always just finger tighten then snug em a 1/4 turn to crush the washer.
I dont trust the torque wrench on aluminum heads.

Incidently.. The plugs are in very good shape and you can just retorque and continue using them if you like.
Just keep an eye on them in case they start backing out. My autolights did the same thing.

Everything he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Re: (MRP2001GTi)

I'm kind of uninformed when it comes to sparkplugs. I have 40,000miles, mods in the sig, and still have stock plugs. I need to change it ASAP, can anyone recommend me a set of quality s.plugs?
thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts