VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed all the hoses on my ABA in July. Put in new coolant. Everything was fine. October, stop driving it. Did a bypass on heater core so no heat anyway. I start it up once a week and I'll drive it around town if it's mild and no salt/snow on road.

Today, fired it up and my coolant indicator came on. That is strange. I pop hood and overflow tank is low like I drove 10,000 miles in Sahara Desert! I'm wondering where the coolant went? I look under car and see an outline of fluid but it's pretty dry. Wondering what happened. Topped it off. Maybe cold weather at night did something. Entire engine was rebuilt by NGP 7 years ago. Only put 12k since then. Any thoughts. Never had a leak. Freeze plug?

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's going somewhere! If you can't see it outside then it's probably going inside. Head gasket will let it escape into the oil pan. Change your oil and pay close attention to what first comes out. Coolant is heavier than the oil so you'll see it come out first. You can also pull the plugs and inspect the cylinders for moisture.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
test it. make sure its at the 50% mix and that there are no acids or exhaust contaminates. Costs $15 bucks and the tester and gravity tester are on amazon. you can get the UV additive and UV light for like $20 as well. makes finding new leaks easy. even if its dry.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
test it. make sure its at the 50% mix and that there are no acids or exhaust contaminates. Costs $15 bucks and the tester and gravity tester are on amazon. you can get the UV additive and UV light for like $20 as well. makes finding new leaks easy. even if its dry.
Appreciate the tips everybody. Haven't had one problem since rebuild. Could head gasket just fail like "that?" Everything is new?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I would top it off again and keep an eye on the level.

I've done coolant flushes, hose replacements, thermostats, etc. in the past and these can be stubborn sometimes in terms of all the air getting out. It's very likely that the coolant just displaced all the air after you initially filled it.

If you're not burning coolant and the oil is clean then you're probably fine. Especially since it was only a few rides since you did the repairs...

Edit: Just saw that you have what appears to be a dried up puddle. So idk what the problem is here. You either see you have a leak or you don't.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would top it off again and keep an eye on the level.

I've done coolant flushes, hose replacements, thermostats, etc. in the past and these can be stubborn sometimes in terms of all the air getting out. It's very likely that the coolant just displaced all the air after you initially filled it.

If you're not burning coolant and the oil is clean then you're probably fine. Especially since it was only a few rides since you did the repairs...

Edit: Just saw that you have what appears to be a dried up puddle. So idk what the problem is here. You either see you have a leak or you don't.
VW

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts