VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the post title says, I wanted to know what a good tire for a reasonable price would be, kumho 712's or MX possibly? Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (theRiby)

Yokohama AVS ES100s are cheap from Tire Rack. I've got a set on the way. IM me in about a week, and I'll let you know my initial opinions of them.

I ordered a set of 195/50-15. They were $56.00 each. They have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (der_panzer)

hhhmmm....well, I just got the Fuzion ZRi for $120 each with install and roadhazard...pretty incredible tire

·
Registered
976 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (der_panzer)

Quote, originally posted by der_panzer »
Yokohama AVS ES100s are cheap from Tire Rack. I've got a set on the way. IM me in about a week, and I'll let you know my initial opinions of them.

I ordered a set of 195/50-15. They were $56.00 each. They have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong.

Piece of JUNK... The ES100's suck! Get ready for Passenger Compartment Noise Pollution. Too Bad, it will take an oil change or less before you start feeling the effects of what others and myself have been saying....
SEND THEM BACK!!! before it's too late.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (emumtl)

I guess that I'll see for myself.
I couldn't afford the Goodyear F1s or Bridgestone RE750s at the moment.
If they suck, I'll swap them for something else.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (theRiby)

Quote, originally posted by theRiby »
This years best grip for the buck?

Ecsta 712 = Ultra High Performance
ES100 = Ultra High Performance
Ecsta MX = MAX Performance
Take a guess at which one will grip better .....
If you aren't worried about longevity, and considering only the three tires you mention, the MXs seem pretty hard to beat for a "best grip for the buck" tire ....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (f1forkvr6)

Do any of you guys have info on the Hankook z212? I've got a topic posted, but it's being ignored. It a hot topic on a few other forums, but nobody can get info.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (dipstickchick)

Quote, originally posted by dipstickchick »
Do any of you guys have info on the Hankook z212? I've got a topic posted, but it's being ignored. It a hot topic on a few other forums, but nobody can get info.

from things I read:
available "mid to late august"
"no 17" sizes at all for the first year"
"talked to the Hankook guys they should be good wet tires at 4/32". 2/32" for best dry performance"
"basically talking about a 140-rated slick at 2/32" (or less)"
"They are being designed for ST*, so they will be legal. It remains to be seen if they will be any good. IMO, they could have done without so much void space in the middle of the tread. Especially given that they appear to be molded at 4/32s. You're not exactly designing to evacuate water at that point."

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Re: This years best grip for the buck? (pturner67)

What about the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S - Ultra High Performance All Season Tire?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts