VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, A while back my mechanic took off my sound dampening pan, and said sometime I could replace it at a junkyard, but it really didn't do anything except muffle sound. So I didn't do anything yet.
Now, on my driver's side, I have another plastic part that is halfway broken There's one on either side, near the tires, but I don't know the name of it. Anyway, it's falling down and I have to do something. What is this part called...does anyone know? Can I just have it removed, or is it serving some important function?
I'm going for an oil change soon, so I thought I might get the used parts (if I need them) from a junk yard and bring 'em to the mechanic to put on. They look like they just need to be bolted on.
Any thoughts?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part is just inside of where my front tire is. There's one on either side.
I don't have the place or tools to change my own oil. Besides, I have to get the 10,000-mile-interval inspections to keep my warranty rights, right?

· Registered
3,766 Posts
Re: (Sierra_Lady)

Quote, originally posted by Sierra_Lady »
Besides, I have to get the 10,000-mile-interval inspections to keep my warranty rights, right?

ive never heard of that or done that to keep my warranty..

· Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: Those plastic underneath parts (Sierra_Lady)

Quote, originally posted by Sierra_Lady »
Hi, A while back my mechanic took off my sound dampening pan, and said sometime I could replace it at a junkyard, but it really didn't do anything except muffle sound. So I didn't do anything yet.
Now, on my driver's side, I have another plastic part that is halfway broken There's one on either side, near the tires, but I don't know the name of it. Anyway, it's falling down and I have to do something. What is this part called...does anyone know? Can I just have it removed, or is it serving some important function?
I'm going for an oil change soon, so I thought I might get the used parts (if I need them) from a junk yard and bring 'em to the mechanic to put on. They look like they just need to be bolted on.
Any thoughts?
the 2 parts on the sides are refered to as the belly pan. yes it serves a purpose. if you took it off all types of road crap would get all over your crank pulley and serp belt. the are cheap money. get them from the dealer and ask for the belly pan sides. ask the mechanic who does your oilchanges nice enough and maybe he will pop them on for you. make sure you get the retaining washers for them too. you will need 4 of them

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: Those plastic underneath parts (Sierra_Lady)

The side pieces are moving because the center piece is missing. I would recommend you put the OEM parts back on, as they are for sound, aerodynamic efficiency and for water splash protection.

· Registered
385 Posts
Re: Those plastic underneath parts (GTINC)

Quote, originally posted by GTINC »
...and for water splash protection.

oooooooyeah. I hit a puddle of water colored with bright-reddish clay in my golf once. youd be surprised where splash goes inside an engine compartment. not only on the firewall in the back but even on the upper surfaces like the intake manifold, battery, and airbox.
the color made it really easy to see where the water went. it was kinda neat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.