VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
25,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I need to lengthen the rod that attaches to the pedal by a little over an inch, I am just looking for pictures/descriptions of how you guys did it in order to get some ideas flowing.

·
25,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Those with Modified A2 Boosters/Pedal Clusters/Master Cylinders (rs4-380)

monday morning go round

·
Registered
76 Posts

here's how i did it...

You can't use the "fork on a mk2 booster pushrod, because it won't fit into the mk1 brake pedal. So measure the height of your pedal, then cut the fork off of the mk2 booster. The temporarily install the mk2 booster and measure how much of the mk1 push rod you'll need. Once you've got it figured out, cut the mk1 rod to the calculated length and weld it on to the original.

If you have any questions, just post em up! Hope this helps.

·
25,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Those with Modified A2 Boosters/Pedal Clusters/Master Cylinders (superbunny)

I figured I would need to weld in something to get it to work, just looking for different ways of doing it (because I can think of about 6 right now).
The thing is I am using the A2 pedal cluster, so in that sense, the A2 fork will fit, but from the looks of it, it needs to be about 1/8 inch higher up and a little over an inch longer.

·
Registered
76 Posts

have you already fitted the mk2 pedals? I have a mk2 pedal cluster, and it looks to me like it would be a LOT of hassle to make it work. I thought about threading the push rods and having a hollow tube threaded on the inside and making a sort-of "turn-buckle" thing. But i found this way the simplest. When you figure out how you're gonna do it, let me know, it would be interesting. I think that CDNDUB did it similarly to me, and It's a fairly common thing to do. How about some more people show and explain how they did it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
The thing is I am using the A2 pedal cluster, so in that sense, the A2 fork will fit, but from the looks of it, it needs to be about 1/8 inch higher up and a little over an inch longer.

So, you're using everything from the A2? If so, I'd think it should all bolt together, it's not like the A1 firewall is an inch thicker ..
I used a 16v passat booster, along with the A1 booster to firewall bracket, and my stock pedal cluster. I extended the push rod about 3/4" by cutting it. Then I took a piece of hollow pipe that had the same ID as the diameter of the booster pushrod, measured one more time, then tack welded it together, then test fit it on the car. Then I wrapped a rag soaked in ice water around the booster pushrod so it didn't get too hot near the diaphragm, and did the final welding.
Now that I look back, threading the ends of the cut pushrod, and finding some threaded tube would be a little easier especially if you don't have a welder handy.
Also I had no problems using the later style fork on my rabbit pedal cluster, I don't remember the exact details but it went on fairly easily, and is still there.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Re: Those with Modified A2 Boosters/Pedal Clusters/Master Cylinders (white rabbit)

when i was running the rabbit pedal cluster and the a2 booster and 22mm mc, i just shortened the the bracket by an inch(the one that holds the booster to the firewall) i cut an inch out of the sides and welded it back together...and the fork on the end--i just cut one side of the fork off and made the hole on the other side of the fork bigger to fit the spot on the rabbit pedal cluster
now im running passat pedal cluster, booster, mc, and slave cylinder

·
25,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Those with Modified A2 Boosters/Pedal Clusters/Master Cylinders (ShavedRabbit)

See... All good ideas.
The A2 pedal cluster is already fitted, I am not exactly sure why it doesn't bolt right up, as I personally did not install the cluster. I like the bracket shortening idea, but I dont think I have the firewall-booster clearance for that.
My plan was to just have the rod lengthened by the correct amount at the local machine shop (no welder for me).
--oh yeah, I am using the a2 booster bracket

Modified by rs4-380 at 7:56 PM 5-24-2004

1 - 8 of 8 Posts